Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber LMf orignal as a all around survival knife?

Default Gerber LMf orignal as a all around survival knife?

Recently I started to build a 2nd bug out bag, I picked up a Gerber LMF original, is this. A decent bug out knife?

They are a decent knife. Not my cup of tea with the serrations, but if it works for you then it works for me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

what is with all the serrations on so many knives? is it just a looks cool thing or what?
    i mean as for using as a saw of sorts their useless. i have seen a lot of knives that if they
    did not have the serrations on top or even worse on the cutting edge of the blade
    would be far more a practical knife.

Why don't you use an Asian style knife? Just sayin....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    what is with all the serrations on so many knives? is it just a looks cool thing or what?
    i mean as for using as a saw of sorts their useless. i have seen a lot of knives that if they
    did not have the serrations on top or even worse on the cutting edge of the blade
    would be far more a practical knife.
    I hate serrations on a knife ! They do nothing but get in my way. I've heard folks say that they are good for cutting rope, but my question is why are we cutting up so much good rope in a survival situation in the first place ? A good sharp edge will cut rope just as good, probably easier and is much easier to sharpen ! But then I'm old fashioned.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    I hate serrations on a knife ! They do nothing but get in my way. I've heard folks say that they are good for cutting rope, but my question is why are we cutting up so much good rope in a survival situation in the first place ? A good sharp edge will cut rope just as good, probably easier and is much easier to sharpen ! But then I'm old fashioned.
    I'm old fashioned as well. Never liked serrations on a blade myself.
    Not to knock on anybody that likes or uses them, just not for me.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I have never been able to learn how to resharpen a serrated edge once they get dull. I have bought several different sharpening tools specifically made for that. Just never have been able to get one really sharp again once it is truly dull. I bet I own close to 100 different knives and except for two Spyderco Rescue knives I was "issued" I do not own a serrated blade.
    Last edited by DSJohnson; 03-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

Use what ever knife you like........What's in you 1st BOB?

Looking at pictures, as I have no experience with one....seems more of a fighting knife or military use...to me.
    Can't see myself peeling 'taters with one...or eating with it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

DS JHONSON, try using a chain saw file i have and it seems to work ok.

i love serrated blades. sharpening them is quite a bit different for normal blades though. its a lot more work to sharpen a serrated blade, but they make some jobs SO much easier...

Quote Originally Posted by Auban View Post
    but they make some jobs SO much easier...
    Which ones?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I'ld go with a nonserrated edge. But you can make do with any sharp edge...

JMO

My first knife was a folder with serrations,and then I got a nicer plain edge. Never gone back to serrations. That being said, it's really just a matter of preference
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Which ones?
    Yeah, me too ??? Never saw a task I would use a knife for that serrations would do better. I've had folks tell me they'll cut seatbelts better and then they see my peel one apart with the edge on my Spyderco Tenacious and it changes their mind real quick after they saw back and forth to cut the same thing ! Try doing the "one swing" cut on a one inch manila rope with a serrated edge - I would bet it would only cut through a fraction of what a plain edge would given the same sharpness.
    Last edited by Lamewolf; 03-26-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Ive had one for about ten years,it came with a seperate strap cutter that fits in my flight suit in a leg pocket. Its too heavy a knife for me for every day carry but its tough as heck when you need a tough knife. i used it in usar training, cut through crazy stuff in confined space, sawed through plywood and used the back of it to punch through auto glass . The little pocket sized smith sharpener has a fold out tapered round file that i have found works fairly well and dosent take up much space. Serrated blades are not my first choice but there has been times in rescue/recovery calls where due to conditions and angles that i was very happy to have one. i lot of guys I work with have gone to them and weve been told that the handle is insulated for cutting through live wire. I havent tried that

The OP mentioned they bought the "original" version, I don't think it came with serrations, just the funky spine saw.
    Having said that, I'm not a fan of serrations myself. With so many people against them, I've often wondered why knife companies keep coming up with new models
    One notable use that I have heard of, Is downed pilots using it cut through aircraft skin when needing an emergency egress route.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    The OP mentioned they bought the "original" version, I don't think it came with serrations, just the funky spine saw.
    Having said that, I'm not a fan of serrations myself. With so many people against them, I've often wondered why knife companies keep coming up with new models
    One notable use that I have heard of, Is downed pilots using it cut through aircraft skin when needing an emergency egress route.
    Has any one seen, heard, or documented that actually happening?

Hunter,

I think it's advertised by Gerber as able to cut through the fuselage, I myself have not seen or heard whether anyone actually does this or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    Hunter,

I think it's advertised by Gerber as able to cut through the fuselage, I myself have not seen or heard whether anyone actually does this or not.
    I guess if it was your own plane...or military....commercial flights won't even allow finger nail clippers.
    ....anyway.....looks cool?

Hello everyone, just getting up to date on all the articles and thought I would chime in on this one. I don't know about the original LMF but the LMFII is an approved ASEK (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife) so I would assume it would cut through the side of an aircraft. Look up ASEK on wikipedia and you can see the requirements for those knifes and a little bit of information, I find that kind of stuff interesting to read.

As far as the serrations go, I'm really not a fan of serrations but a few of my knives that I carry quite a bit have them. The only plus I see from having the serrations is that they will almost always cut. I have a bad habit with my knife I always have in my pocket about forgetting to sharpen it and usually I'll be at work going to cut cardboard or plastic or something when I realize this and the serrations will at least allow me to still get the thing cut and finish out the day until I can sharpen it at home. But yes, the other 99.9% of the time the serrations are just in my way and go unused.