Thread: Trout Fishing

Default Trout Fishing

I picked up my 7 year old from school today and we hit the Chattahoochee River for some fishing. We caught 2 rainbow trout, but ended up giving them to the guy who was fishing with us (seems like he could have used it more than we did as he has a large family). Anyway, my son wants to go again tomorrow and I'm thinking we'll keep any that we catch.

So, any good recipes out there for grilled trout? I have a Weber charcoal grill that should easily hold the 8 fish I plan on catching (just kidding! ).

Thanks
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Here is the classic....make a large cut down the center of their belly, swipe out the entrails, Leave skin, head and tail on. Open them up..in the center put tablespoon of butter, squeeze in some lemon- leave lemon slices in cavity and put in a slice of onion, then fold them back shut and wrap with aluminum foil. Cook until the meat is flakey- no goo. and easily seperates from bone. Approx 8-10 minutes, flip over half way through time. This is the old school traditional Montana Fly Fishing guide shore lunch. Now, we catch and release though.

For variety throw a strip of bacon in with lemon and onion.
    Last edited by DOGMAN; 04-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Sounds good. I'll let you know in a few hours how it tastes! My son really wants to eat one, but we released the other two we caught this afternoon. In fact, in the picture below, he hooked and landed this one by himself. I just had to take it off the hook and I gut it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Man! That is the perfect picture! Enjoy it as much as you can for as long as you can. They don't stay that size for very long. Thanks for sharing the pic!!!!!!!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I can remember when my two boys were that age. They both caught some nice size bass out of the lake we live on and the first time they did, you could hear them hollering for a long ways off.

That's got to be one happy young man there.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Here's another pic. What a great day! He had another plate with more food on it, but wanted one for the fish by itself.
    Last edited by Aurelius95; 05-28-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Smile Prize picture

Great shot of a cool boy bonding with his dad! I remember my two kiddies sharing the fishing thing with dad. Awesome stuff.

Take him everywhere with you and get him into everything bush related that you can, while you can, before the system gets a hold of him. He'll always remember you for it.
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

Yup, that is a great feeling. My 5 y/o son loves catching and cooking them.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    Great shot of a cool boy bonding with his dad! I remember my two kiddies sharing the fishing thing with dad. Awesome stuff.

Take him everywhere with you and get him into everything bush related that you can, while you can, before the system gets a hold of him. He'll always remember you for it.
    Some of my best memories with my dad are when we went fishing, both on the rivers/lakes as well as when we went deep sea fishing. When I told him of my experiences with my son, he couldn't wait to come down to GA to join us on the river. I'll be excited for that day!

Do it! Whatever it takes. Get him down there so the three of you can enjoy some great times together. The day will come you will be so glad you did and your son will have some memories that will stay will him for a life time. When you are old and gray it will be great when he says, "Hey dad, remember the time grandpa....".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I took me 4yo daughter out 3 weeks ago shore trout fishing.
    She had a blast and is begging me to take her out again.
    Caught 4 rainbow all 2lb+.

I used to fly fish and tought fly tying. I have not fished in over 10 years. Well unless you constder the boom bait and the wind charger. A 500,000 W tazer works. Not well but it works.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!