Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Survival Kit

What Im getting from the video and the posts is this is more than a survival kit its more of a bob or an inch bag ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Wow never knew that !!!! I wonder what else I missed in that store !!
    Follow the kerosene smell.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Follow the kerosene smell.....
    hahaha true
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Novice Fisher and Trapper

i guess it could be called a bug out bag. I dont normally label my kits with names just bags o' gear for the most part.
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

Quote Originally Posted by Billy13426 View Post
    i guess it could be called a bug out bag. I dont normally label my kits with names just bags o' gear for the most part.

Aw, man you gonna spoil it........LOL

All of us guys that been coming up with all these names (made otta letters) for too many bags, for a long time......So then we try to carry waaaay too much stuff, only to find what you needed was at home anyway.

Naming them give a air of importance, to spend time and money.....and not have your sanity questioned.

I have "bags of gear" as well.....and the BOB, might be just that, or a camping bag, or a get home bag.

My Bug out is geared to moving fast to a safe location for both DW and I, kept by door.......not a lot of long term camping stuff bag.

That said, vehicle contains camping, living off the land stuff......repair, and get out of trouble truck stuff.
    Also hunting/day pack, good for a night out, maybe more depending on weather.

Hunting trip bags.....and fishing tackle boxes also have redundant gear.

Add pockets of pants, jackets....and EDC stuff, and EDC pouch.

So lots of stuff.

Your 0 degree bag is probably smaller and lighter and can be used as a blanket.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You guys are mean. Crash has seen me dirtbag it by the fire with just about nothing. Maybe next year I'll do some cheapo equipment camps just to... oooo a Harbor Freight Camp. Oh yeah.

Great video, but where's your T.P.? I always carry a travel pack of sanitary wipes, or T.P.. Sometimes, it's the little things, ya know? Your kit will change and grow/shrink as time goes on. How much does your pack weigh, do you know?
    Being Prepared Is More Than A State Of Mind.
    www.survivalkitshq.blogspot.com

[QUOTE=jester573;457638]Great video, but where's your T.P.? I always carry a travel pack of sanitary wipes, or T.P.. Sometimes, it's the little things, ya know? ................QUOTE]

Just wear long socks and long sleeves.....Just saying.

What is the purpose of this bag? On youtube you call it a bushcraft kit, and on this thread you called it a survival kit. It is a good start on a bushcraft kit. I don't think it is a good BOB or survival kit. You need to define it's purpose, and then putting stuff in it is a little easier.

Stansport tents are really good at being too heavy and leaking water when it rains. Keep that in mind. I would replace your self inflating mat for a closed cell foam one. It will be lighter and more durable.

Repackage the duct tape. You don't need the whole roll.

Again.... define the purpose of the bag. That will help you decide what you need for it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

they are the cheap ones but i plan on upgrading them soon with the harbor freight ones
    If you are going to use them in the house they are OK. HF wool blankets are not up to cold weather outside use
    . we made the mistake of washing one that had cider spilled on it. Still picking up little gobs of wool . it pretty much self destructed in the washer. About half as thick now as it was. It is a $10 wool blanket and you get exactly that. Sorry. I thought I hit the jackpot of cheap wool too. Not so much. It might be ok for summer use, but in general I really think most people are better off going with a good sleeping bag.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PS......The Harbor Freight wool blankets are made for dryer lint.....and smell like kerosene to cover up the dog hair smell...(in our dryer lint)

I would shop around....Sportsmans Guild, has a larger selection of low buck blankets......
    Even Walmart sell lower cost blankets as well
    Examples....
    http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/wool-blankets

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    You guys are mean. Crash has seen me dirtbag it by the fire with just about nothing. Maybe next year I'll do some cheapo equipment camps just to... oooo a Harbor Freight Camp. Oh yeah.
    Sound like a fun challenge....for Florida.....LOL.

So all y'all RATTW grab your HF survival knives, blue tarp and painter drop cloth....and report back.

[QUOTE=hunter63;457673]
    Quote Originally Posted by jester573 View Post
    Great video, but where's your T.P.? I always carry a travel pack of sanitary wipes, or T.P.. Sometimes, it's the little things, ya know? ................QUOTE]

Just wear long socks and long sleeves.....Just saying.
    TRAVEL PACK!!??!! I carry a couple rolls just in my bag

Great. Now I got to fly back up north and freeze my azz off. So I can git credit.

I got a big mouth...

...just a thought. C'mon down to FL. Bring a Pot and a Machete and the clothes on yer back. 3 days out there. Woo Hoo!

Not being a weiner here. It's all in fun. (But you're welcome next winter to join us.)
    Last edited by madmax; 03-24-2015 at 04:30 PM.

they are the cheap ones but i plan on upgrading them soon with the harbor freight ones
    If you're willing to pay a little more ($5-10 more), you can get Red Cross relief blankets for low prices. They're not super warm in the winter (as I found out last December), but they would work in the summer and roll up to be pretty compact. Just a thought.

i think your kit has damn near everything i could possibly want, besides food in it. i took a lot less with me back when i decided to stay out in the wilderness for a few months... though i did take food with me.

i would add iodine tablets, a nine volt battery, some steel wool, and one of those little containers of mechanical pencil led. the lead heats up with in contact with both terminals of the battery, just like steel wool. and it doesnt rust.

i would also add toilet paper of some kind. you dont absolutely need it, but you will wish you had it if you dont... just trust me on that one. i left the swamps ten days early because i caught something nasty that caused me to blow my brains out my backside. i would have loved to have had some rags that i could wash and dry...

other than that, get a topographical map if you can. and know how to use it.

Novice Fisher and Trapper

I will be sure to add some tp and some better wool blankets lol.
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

I will be sure to add some tp and some better wool blankets lol.
    I found that if you take the cardboard tube out put it in a good zip lock baggie and suck the air out it flattens down to nothing , two rolls take up very little space in the bottom of my bag

Before you add so much stuff you can't pick it up....take it out and try it....

Then you will know what you have to bring......(core)...then extra stuff then you want to bring.....