Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What am I getting myself into?

We wish you well. If you have specific questions ask away.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I second the Appalachian Trail. Great starting point. Either start south or north and go the other direction until you finish or want to stop.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Tuck an extra $50 dollar bill, folded up, under your boot insert....for emergencies.
    Also work well in some fast food places......Order your food...(when you get tired of roots, berries and dried stuff).

Then when you go to pay....pat all your pockets, looking for money....Then proclaim loudly....." I guess I have to use my emergency fund"...take off your boot, and hand them the sweaty bill.

After they say '''eeeeeeeeeew" they mostly say...."Just take it and go....... "
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You sound like someone trying to "wake up", if that makes any sense.

You sound like I did when I disappeared in the swamp. But, what I was really trying to get at was being comfortable in my own skin. I grew up in a... troubled home. My mother suffers from dissociative personality disorder and we were dirt poor after my father left the air force. Ah, my dear sweet mother... she was great when she wasn't trying to kill us...

Anyway, extreme anxiety, panic attacks to the point of passing out, lots of issues growing up. Staying in the woods didn't fix it.

I started focusing on my own behavior. And learned to stop caring about how I was feeling, and focused on doing, regardless of how I felt.

I would say that it wasn't until I was in Iraq that I finally started to overcome my issues.

So far as overcoming fear, watch this : http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_y...re?language=en

Then go and expose yourself to pet snakes and accept that it makes you anxious as can be. That's fine. If you feel like passing out, that's fine too. Manipulate one with a stick, just move it back and forth a bit. It will make you want to go into a panic attack. The goal is to do more each time. After you manipulate it, go do something to calm yourself down. The next time, set your goal a little higher. Use the stick to pick it up and move it.

Each time you push your boundaries, laugh as hard as you can. Laugh at the insanity of the strong reaction you feel, and out of pride for the fact that you just did something you have never done before.

I was never afraid of snakes, but I was terrified of hights. Hights still makes my arse hole crawl up to the back of my throat, but that doesn't bother me too much anymore. I know I can handle hights now.

And a book you might want to read is "Awareness", by Anthony DeMello.

Good luck on your trip. Stay near civilization and make sure you can always get out when you want to or need to. Chances are, something will go wrong eventually.

Auban... well said and excellent advice.......seems like you have been there and back, as those words can't come frm some one that hasn't been there.
    Thanks for posting and rep you way.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I often dream of taking to the woods and living off the land, but my reason would be to "escape" the complicated everyday life. I guess you just have to search and find why you are really leaving, and if you are really facing your fears or running. On the other hand, the isolation from the alchohol and drugs might do good, but when you return the temptation will still be there. I guess im trying to say the idea isn't bad, but it would also have to be coupled with a spiritual or emotional journey to help you truly accomplish a rehabilitation.
    I support your idea and often wish I could take off and do something of the same nature, but just ask yourself what it will accomplish, and how you can strive to accomplish that goal.

As far as survival, I think food would be the biggest problem as far as staying properly nourished and healthy. Maybe get a book on wild edibles? Not sure about getting protein though. Nuts would be one way, but meat may be difficult. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Arctic Fox; 03-24-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Didn't like the way it came off
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DKott25 View Post
    Actually I've seen it about 10 times. It's an inspiration to me. While what I am doing dangerous and potentially fatal I am not taking the same approach as Christopher McCandles. I say two weeks of research and obviously that is not enough. Though the two weeks consists of over 12-13 hours a day of research. I do have some basic knowledge. I was homeless for a year and I built a shelter, more-so a fortress in the woods. It took me at least 140 hours to build and I did it without money. Different scenario than what I will be venturing out to do because I did a lot of dumpster diving and logging two by fours, wood, computer desks, whatever I could find to create a secure and firm shelter. It consisted of many layers of walling. Two layers of wood, 1 layer of branches, sticks, and various things from the woods. 2 layers of cardboard, 1 layer of thick high end insulation I found thrown away. Than ending with numerous rotations of surround wrap followed by branches and sticks covering all of it as camouflage. I checked on it for the first time in 7 months and it's the same way I left it. It was a brutal winter here and not a drop of water or snow got inside. No animal got inside. It can survive just about anything and will probably be standing to the day I die. It blocked out the cold. I slept inside many times in -20 to -30 degree weather. Anyways, I learned some basic skills during that time. I am also a perfectionist. If in two weeks I feel I don't have every possible obstacle or danger covered I will not leave until I do. I will leave no stone unturned. Christopher McCandles did things I would never do. He didn't take any proper precautions. The movie inspires me though. In ways most wouldn't understand. I guess in the end it's more about my anxiety and fear that has held me back from doing anything in my life. I've been to over 20-25 treatment facilities, 15 therapists, and on and on. It just did not work. This is my way crazy idea of overcoming what has held me back for so long and I believe it will work. Will it work? It may, it may not. Will I survive? I may, I may not. But it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    Sounds like you've really thought this through and even practiced it quite a bit too. Doing it without money, I would study up on edible plants for the areas you will be moving through as hunting and trapping have laws that could get you in hot water otherwise. But there is always the chance you will witness fresh road kill I guess. Be careful and prosper !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Well, I'm glad to say I faced my fear of snakes. I went to a pet store and told them my situation. It took me 2 hours to build up the courage but eventually I held a ball python. After that the guy said he had a full grown ball python in the back. He than came out with a tied up bag and I'm just like....****. He pulled out this snake and I backed off quite quickly and had to step out of the store. But came back in and than held that snake as well. It was empowering to face such a deep fear. I faced it but haven't overcame it. The fear is still there. I just have to keep doing it until the fear is no longer existent.

Also lets say I decide to hike the Appalachian trail or American Discovery Trail. I live in Illinois. So how would that work? I would have to hike all the way to beginning of trail before I can.....begin the trail. American Discovery Trail passes through Illinois but I want to start at the beginning.

There is a northern and southern American Discovery Trail through Illinois. You don't say which end of Illinois you live in. However, there is no way to hike from Illinois to either end of the AT AND hike the AT in one season. That's not doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is a northern and southern American Discovery Trail through Illinois. You don't say which end of Illinois you live in. However, there is no way to hike from Illinois to either end of the AT AND hike the AT in one season. That's not doable.
    Regardless though if I entered the trail from Illinois I wouldn't be hiking the entire trail. I'd be cheating myself by starting in the middle of the trail correct?

Quote Originally Posted by DKott25 View Post
    Well, I'm glad to say I faced my fear of snakes. I went to a pet store and told them my situation. It took me 2 hours to build up the courage but eventually I held a ball python. After that the guy said he had a full grown ball python in the back. He than came out with a tied up bag and I'm just like....****. He pulled out this snake and I backed off quite quickly and had to step out of the store. But came back in and than held that snake as well. It was empowering to face such a deep fear. I faced it but haven't overcame it. The fear is still there. I just have to keep doing it until the fear is no longer existent.
    NO!!! changing how you feel is like trying to change how the wind feels on your face. your goal should not be to feel no fear. thats not the point. your goal should be to know that you can do anything you want, regardless of how you feel.

im terrified of heights, but i jump out of helicopters and airplanes all the time. you wont find empowerment from simply not feeling fear. you will find it from knowing that you can do it ANYWAY...

its behavior, the first step in learning true awareness. your behavior influences your environment, and other people. ever felt like the world was against you? that is when you know you are paying TOO MUCH attention to your environment. or rather, you put to much faith in it. the way people act around you and the way animals and the environment around you present themselves to you has more to do with what YOU do than it does with what the environment is. didnt break your leg? its because you chose to take a safer route. other people walked on you? its because you never provided them with consequences for their actions.

held a snake without freaking out? its because you decided to just do it. the day wasnt special, you just decided to do it and accept the fear that would come. THAT is how you change. that is how you change both yourself and the things and people around you. by DOING.

keep it up.

Novice Fisher and Trapper

make sure to bring books on wild edibles and a good pot for cooking and a sawyer mini water filter. you dont need the water filter but you can drink water without having to boil it and could save you a lot of time and hassle as well. Be sure to bring several methods to start fire including lighter matches and a ferro rod. You are going to also want to bring a good amount of shelter (a tarp, tent, wool blanket, MSS sleep system,sleeping bag,etc.) Make sure to pack spare socks and a good pair of hiking boots or shoes depending on your preference. Enjoy your Journey
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

I completely understand your point Auban. I just don't want to face a poisonous snake and panic resulting in getting bit which could have been avoided if I wasn't terrified of snakes. I'm just trying to prepare for all this as best as I can. I felt handling a snake was part of that.

Novice Fisher and Trapper

Oh and make sure to bring a first aid kit with steri strips and bandaids as well as athletics tape to hold on large bandages. Don't forget your (Stainless Steel) water bottle either.
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

Why is it I hear so much about the Appalachian trail yet rarely hear anything or have a harder time finding deeper info on the American Discovery Trail?

I realize that your fear of snakes is a real thing, but don't let it dampen your spirits. I hike a lot in Florida and do not see snakes all that often. Being aware of the possibility and on the lookout for them while hiking will allow you to avoid them and take a wide enough berth so that they don't bother you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I thought you meant hiking to the AT from Illinois and starting at the trailhead for the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I thought you meant hiking to the AT from Illinois and starting at the trailhead for the AT.
    No. Hiking the Appalachian Trail without money is quite unrealistic as it is let alone hiking to the trail from Illinois and than hiking the trail after that. I have no knowledge on these trails because hiking a trail was not my original plan but I think it's what I may end up doing. So with that being said the trail goes from Maine to Georgia or vice versa. How would you suggest I get to to either state from Illinois to venture into this trail? Train, bus...etc. What are my cheapest options? And than of course I have to think about what I will do if I make it through the trail. I won't have money for transportation to get back to Illinois. I may end up just staying there. Which would be alright with me because before I considered doing the AT Georgia was actually the state I wanted to backpack too.
    Last edited by DKott25; 03-25-2015 at 08:07 PM.

awareness...

i might as well explain what i am talking about. when i say awareness, i mean knowing what the cause and effect is. of everything.

in order to explain that, i have to start with the lowest level: your environment. those who are locked in this level are the ones who say that the stars just haven't lined up, things are out of their control. they blame society, their upbringing, their parents, the oppressive school system, society, etc. for their failings. or rather, their feelings of inadequacy. they see how their environment make life hard for them. didnt get promoted? my boss is racist. got fired from my job? my boss just doesnt like me because im a woman. failed relationship? that b!tch was just crazy.

see where im getting at? those locked at the first level of awareness blame everyone else for their maladies. why? because they honestly believe that there is nothing they can do about it. things just are what they are.

the next level of awareness is behavior. knowing how your behavior influences others. fr insance, instead of focusing how people around you are racist, focus on what you can actually do. if you score the highest on a test and someone of a different race gets picked for the job, are you helpless? well, you are if you are not willing to push the issue up to the highest level. or if you are not willing to let the company know that they will be exposed for their racism. this is how understanding behavior can influence your environment, which is the lowest level of awareness.

so lets say you get used to using your behavior to influence your environment? what, about you, changes? is it your abilities? truth be told, you were always able to challenge a company, racism, sexism, etc. so what changes?

the short answer is that your abilities change. the things you are capable of doing. could you hold a snake before? could you hold a snake when you believed that you could not do it without passing out? no. you may still believe that you will pass out with a more aggressive snake. and thats fine. but, if you decide to handle one anyway, and do it, you will KNOW that you are capable of doing it. because you already did. do you see how your behavior influences your abilities? a child who plays catch all day long will naturally be a good catcher. why? because he does it so much! it is no different for you. hold snakes a lot, and you will know that you can handle it. you will know that you are capable of it. do you see how your behavior influences your abilities?

the next level is beliefs. where does that come from? naturally, it come from your abilities. for instance, the bible says that you should not look at another woman in lust. well, if you have never actually spent some time actively avoiding the act of passing a lustful glance at a woman, would you believe that it is possible? or, in your case, would you believe that you can handle a wild snake if you have never actually forced yourself to do so? you manipulated your behavior, and now you know that you can hold a ball python. just imagine what you would feel confident doing if you managed to go out and do it!
    this is how your behaviors influence your abilities, and how your abilities influence your beliefs. if you know that you can learn something new, you will BELIEVE that you can learn something new. hence, you will believe that you are capable of anything.

and all of this influences the self. the ego, the spirit. the highest level. which is, who we choose to be. knowing that our behavior can change so much, we can choose to act a certain way in order to influence our environment, gain new capabilities, thereby changing our beliefs. and knowing that we can do that allows us to choose who we are. thats the highest level, knowing how to influence everything about ourselves to turn ourselves into the person we WANT to be.

so, when i say awareness, this is what i mean.