Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What am I getting myself into?

Few critters consume more vermin than a snake. I've never had a problem with them and I've never killed one on purpose (I've hit a couple in the car). I use a walking stick to cross logs and such so if there is a snake on the other side they see the stick first before I step across. Otherwise, I just give them room and keep going. I don't have a problem with them around the house. One every now and then but they are non-poisonous so they don't bother me.

I have never killed a snake that I didn't eat...

Ok, I take that back. one of the first snakes I owned was a hog nose snake. i fed it the wrong kind of food and it eventually died. Sad day.

I love snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Auban View Post
    and water, there is nothing that will ruin your feet faster than being walked on while wet!
    I had to be medivaced out of "Central America" because my feet stayed wet constantly. Actually had 1 pair of jungle boots rot off of my feet.
    There was no way to keep them dry, and we couldn't stop long enough to dry our feet/socks.
    To this day, I still have problems with them...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    I had to be medivaced out of "Central America" because my feet stayed wet constantly. Actually had 1 pair of jungle boots rot off of my feet.
    There was no way to keep them dry, and we couldn't stop long enough to dry our feet/socks.
    To this day, I still have problems with them...
    i never got medivaced for my feet, but the 18D that treated my feet after i got done with selection told me that i would probably suffer life long problems from the damage i had done to my feet.

i DO have scars on my feet from it, but im not sure what effect it had... my feet crack pretty bad(to the point of bleeding around the scars) in iraq, but i always figured that was more or less normal. sweat all day and then expose your feet to the driest air around, they are bound to crack.

just out of curiosity, what are the problems you have nowadays with your feet?

Yo......DKott25....Y'all still with us?.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I applaud you for wanting to face your issues. My advice is plan for at least 3 months. Safe to plan for 6 months to a year. Not only do you want to "survive" but have the gear and knowledge to enjoy the time. Staying in a cold wet tent without a fire because of improper planning will just result in misery and you'll cut your journey short and will never feel the accomplishment. Resulting in having the same issues, perhaps worse. Setting a large goal like this and achieving it will be an amazing experience you'll have forever. Not completing and you'll spend your time in regret.

Me personally, when I have a person tell me they have some deep issues they can't shake I say join the military. It'll change you for the better. But to each its own. If you're coming through mississippi PM me and I'll give you some route and advice.

Again, best of luck and comend you for wanting to better yourself and going the extra mile coming up with your own original solution

Quote Originally Posted by Auban View Post
    just out of curiosity, what are the problems you have nowadays with your feet?
    They sweat profusely, and I don't generally remove my shoes in mixed company...the smell will gag a maggot on a gut truck...
    I wash my feet daily with antibacterial soap, dry thoroughly and apply foot powder. I change the insoles in my shoes once a month.
    And I go barefoot whenever I can. All of these things have helped tremendously, just a normal routine for me now.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Have you tried chlorophyl pills to control odor?

If you haven't already, you might also see a board certified podiatrist. Your local VA should be able to refer you to one. Look for alpaca insoles. They are hypoallergenic. Just remove them each evening and let them dry overnight. They will mold to your feet after a few days of wearing them.

Ok, I have something to add, as a child I was afraid, deathly of snakes. Growing up in the woods and hunting I learned a very important lesson I don't have to have the b#### to pick them up to cure my fear. I better have the sense to know which snakes that can cause me harm....I dink and come across a king snake big deal clean up the wet spot and move on. If I come arcoss a moc, copper head or cotten mouth know to steer away....be aware of how to tell poisinious and non poisinous snakes. Also remember the deep south has snake that don't warn before they bite like Texas and other states with the rattle snake. It is good that you held a snake but better yet learn to idenify the ones that can harm you. Just saying, good luck. My son hiked the AT from the begining in Ga to the end. He was a big boy when he started, It sure toned him up. I want to say it took him and his girlfriend which he met on the trail and are now looking at a life time together. They just haven't set the date. It took them about 9 months or so. Peace, one last thing. In Native American culture we respect the animals of the planet, but we also know they provide for us many things such as food, clothing, shelter, tools and weapons. They will supply you with what you need. It is all part of natures balance. Respect them but if you have to use them, they know there place in the circle. Ok I am done rambling. Wado Awanita.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

The ole Tetons around Jackson hole are a bugger. You did it in fall? it is a wonder you only lost a big toe nail. When I was living out there, we always had a call come in to search and rescue for someone who had gotten off the trail and lost. Mostly out of state hunters. teton, bighorn, windriver lol but the tetons are beautiful, I lived at the foothills of the Big horns. Lots of fun.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yo......DKott25....Y'all still with us?.....
    Hunter he has not been on since 3/30 @ 6:40 pm

I was going to suggest to him to perhaps re-orient his goals and help others. There are places quite remote that Habitat for Humanity works, and Applachian Service Project where you are way out of the way, you use skills you have and learn new ones, and can hike all over different places in your off time. For many people, it is the making of them. Just thinking out loud here.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post
    Hunter he has not been on since 3/30 @ 6:40 pm

I was going to suggest to him to perhaps re-orient his goals and help others. There are places quite remote that Habitat for Humanity works, and Applachian Service Project where you are way out of the way, you use skills you have and learn new ones, and can hike all over different places in your off time. For many people, it is the making of them. Just thinking out loud here.
    I suspect he has moved on......That was just a shout out to see if he is still around.

A lot of people that ask these kind of questions, to strangers on an open public forum....Have more going on than the OP suggests.
    Or so it seems.....

...or trolling, which I suspect he was.

.........yeah, well...there is that......
    But Hey.....snake info and stinky feet......far out, man.....
    Sounds like a deep thoughts session at the saloon....on a Tuesday night....Taco Nite.....LOL
    Last edited by hunter63; 04-02-2015 at 06:06 PM.

I thought it sounded a little strange. There were things that just didn't add up. You have to face your problems, can't run from them. I find that they follow you lol. But each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    They sweat profusely, and I don't generally remove my shoes in mixed company...the smell will gag a maggot on a gut truck...
    I wash my feet daily with antibacterial soap, dry thoroughly and apply foot powder. I change the insoles in my shoes once a month.
    And I go barefoot whenever I can. All of these things have helped tremendously, just a normal routine for me now.
    ok, the sweating thing was actually the very thing i was wondering about. my toes always look(from underneath and in between) like they are rotting from athletes foot. nothing i have ever tried has helped with that.

the constant sweating is the biggest reason i had problems with my feet in iraq. they sweat all day, then dry out so fast at night that my feet crack. i eventually learned to soak my feet and scrape/scrub all the dead skin off before i slept. then i would add some kind of cream or such to my feet to keep them from drying out and cracking during the night. bag balm works pretty good for that. the botoms of my feet develop a bunch of dry flaky skin that pretty much turns into a nasty mush when i soak my feet and scrub them. but, the dry flakiness only shows up in the middle of my sole. i have no idea if thats normal. not really something i ask about on a regular basis...

i wasnt sure if the nasty foot issue was a result of messing up your feet...

anyone else have nasty feet who DIDNT mess their feet up at some point?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

You can use an antiperspirant on your feet just like you do your underarms.

I have, but it doesnt help. I'm not even sure my feet are sweating... more like they ooze through the skin. Kinda like the skin just liquifies.

And I'm sorry if it makes you sick reading that. It Is what it is. Anti perspirant results in a nasty mix of smells with little, if any, benefit.