Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilderness Navigation

Default Wilderness Navigation

In the military we are taught to use a topi map and plot 8 digit grid coordinates. Taught how to shoot asthmas and pace count and all that. It great for finding a exact point. But what if you're lost and don't have a topo map or compass. You know there is a road west or whichever direction. How would you find north and get a reading of direction. I learned using the sun and three sticks. Using the shadow of the sun going west to east and getting the direction of north. Tried this before during a field exercise and confirmed with a compass. It's accurate enough to get your tail out of the woods. I'm not great at reading the night sky so if I was lost at dark I'd be best to wait till day break.

What are some other techniques you guys have used?

The hands of an analog watch and the sun.

This guy explains it a lot better than I can:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Direction-Using-a-Watch
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I've heard of that technique but unfortunately I don't wear a mechanical watch. I wear a digital G-Shock I recieved from the military.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

How do I find N/S/E/W ??

I look at the compass on my watchband, or the one on my key chain, or if it is winter the one on my coat zipper.

And that is when I am in town.

Why would anyone go to the "wilderness" without a compass. Even the TSA does not object to one having a compass on a flight!

Or, if one is east of the Mississippi River you sit down and listen for traffic noise.

Or if it is still the 21st century you pull up the GPS app on your phone.

Or if you are in my immediate area you watch the air. Descending planes are headed for the international airport. When I get there I can call a cab.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    " ... I'm not great at reading the night sky so if I was lost at dark I'd be best to wait till day break. ..."
    If you're lost at night, you are far safer to hunker down and wait until dawn to start walking again. Stumbling through rough, unfamiliar terrain in the dark is very unwise.

At night, a very obvious star constellation is the Big Dipper. No matter the position in the sky, the star at the end of the lip of the Big Dipper always points to true north or the "North star." Note the North star and that is the direction you'll use the next morning. Place a stick on the ground pointing in that direction so you know where north is in the morning.

In the days of the great cattle drives in the old west, the cook would align the chuck wagon with its wagon tongue pointing north so that in the morning, it could be referenced for whatever direction the boss wanted to drive the cattle that day. They used the Big Dipper to find true north.

There are other methods but that is one good one.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Generally just use look at the top before going somewhere, then a combination of knowing landmarks and using the sun for a general direction is enough.

I've never been able to use the north star. I don't get it...i've had night where I sit outside with a compass, and don't see how it's "pointing" north. Maybe i'm getting dizzy looking up or something...supposed to be really easy but it doesn't seem to always point north to me.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Never had to use it but, I'd think maybe try going downhill to find water and following it downstream,might be a good idea but I'd definitely get out of the flood plain if it looks like you'll be staying overnight again.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"

I'm a compass guy....and carry one most always.
    That said, I also a look over the area first, if possible to see where you are to start with, and where you are going

Not to much wild land, any longer....roads are everywhere, sometimes you just have to listen for traffic, or look for light.

Knowing where north is, helpful, but you still need to know where you are going.
    Have used the north star Dig dipper to help find north.

Have used the down hill to water, power lines, and even con-trails to at least give me an idea which way to go.

Can't say I even had to do the "drop in middle of no-where, and find my way out".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    I've heard of that technique but unfortunately I don't wear a mechanical watch. I wear a digital G-Shock I recieved from the military.
    Easy enough to convert the digital time to analog in the dirt.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

As for using the big dipper, you need a big enough opening in the tree canopy to find it. Its a rather big constilation and can be easily hidden in my lattitude during the right time.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    As for using the big dipper, you need a big enough opening in the tree canopy to find it. Its a rather big constilation and can be easily hidden in my lattitude during the right time.
    Am I just stupid? I lived in open farmlands and had absolutely no trouble finding the constellation. The north star just never seemed...north... It doesn't change...ever? Maybe my compasses were all off...
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Am I just stupid? I lived in open farmlands and had absolutely no trouble finding the constellation. The north star just never seemed...north... It doesn't change...ever? Maybe my compasses were all off...
    Your compass points to magnetic north which moves about the pole. This is why it is important to check the bottom of maps for declination degrees and even when that map was printed. The higher latatude you have the more declination you have to correct for.

The north star points to true north which does not move.

The big dipper rotates around the north star so during some months of the year it is below the north star while other months it may be above or beside.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Your compass points to magnetic north which moves about the pole. This is why it is important to check the bottom of maps for declination degrees and even when that map was printed. The higher latatude you have the more declination you have to correct for.

The north star points to true north which does not move.

The big dipper rotates around the north star so during some months of the year it is below the north star while other months it may be above or beside.
    Got that, but I was getting a reading around 90degrees off. The difference is usually pretty minimal. Nothing close to 90 ever right? Maybe it was just an old compass, or i'm just stupid. Haha...
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

I'm big on sitting down 'til dawn. Pretty easy after that. From experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    Got that, but I was getting a reading around 90degrees off. The difference is usually pretty minimal. Nothing close to 90 ever right? Maybe it was just an old compass, or i'm just stupid. Haha...
    In your area that would be impossible. Or unless we experience something like in "The day after tomorrow. " lol
    ~Rocky Balboa

In your area that would be impossible. Or unless we experience something like in "The day after tomorrow. " lol
    I don't know, i'm pretty sure if i'm stupid in one place, i'm stupid pretty much everywhere.

On a serious note, sounds like it's a good thing I never needed to use that compass lol.... But then again I could have sworn by knowing the general direction of north the star was off....man. Shouldn't be a difficult thing form the sounds of it.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Magnetic north has been changing going west for some time.
    checking the date on your map is a good thing indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    How do I find N/S/E/W ??

I look at the compass on my watchband, or the one on my key chain, or if it is winter the one on my coat zipper.

And that is when I am in town.

Why would anyone go to the "wilderness" without a compass. Even the TSA does not object to one having a compass on a flight!

Or, if one is east of the Mississippi River you sit down and listen for traffic noise.

Or if it is still the 21st century you pull up the GPS app on your phone.

Or if you are in my immediate area you watch the air. Descending planes are headed for the international airport. When I get there I can call a cab.
    There are places down here where you can't hear the trucks on the main grade. Let alone the nearest paved road many miles away fromn that grade. You can get 19 some odd miles from the nearest road in South Florida. I don't think you'll hear anything that far out. Your GPS app will keep trying to hit a cell tower and a cell phone that will last days when you are in town will die quickly when it keeps trying to reach towers.

We have people that disappear when they can shout to their friends and hear the vehicles. You can hear your friends. But, you are lost any way for four days. You can get 19 miles from the nearest road easy.

The watch method and short time sunstick method are quite inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    The watch method and short time sunstick method are quite inaccurate.
    They are general rules. None of the methods that old navigators used were spot on. I have a bokk called, "Finding Your Way Without A Map Or Compass by renowned navigator Harold Gatty. The stuff in the book worked for him to navigate the globe by plane. It worked for people for thousands of years.

None are as accurate as a compass and a compass is only good with a map if you know your declination. And a map and a compass are only useful if you know how to use them. So one day some guy that has spent his whole life using a GPS is going to say that a compass is useless.

but, a general direction when you have nothing except a general idea of which way you need to go is better than nothing.

For instance if I am in the woods and have a good idea how far back in I am. I will know which way is the shortest distance back toward civilization or a cell signal. I can be off 30 degrees and still hit that road, canal, trail or what ever.

I carry compasses. I have recently taken to spending more time checking my heading. But, I did just fine for many decades without it. I think reading this site has me paranoid.

But, just because I am paranoid does not mean someone ain't following me! LOL