Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilderness Navigation

What is the point of teaching an innacurate method, when it can and does get people killed?

A 'general' direction, which can be out 30 degrees is not accurate enough to be teaching it.

It reminds me of the popular American myth still found in so called survival 'instructors' manuals over their in the states (in glorious colour photos) of using a condom for carrying water!

Thats has to be about the dumbest most useless modern ways of transporting water I could dream up, yet it's published for the world to see.

If you want to learn Nav, then learn it properly, and practise it, and you'll also laugh at ridiculous 'tips' like using an analogue whatch!!!!

The OP pretty much asked what alternative methods people use to navigate. Are you assuming we don't know proper "Nav"?
    You shouldn't.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    What is the point of teaching an innacurate method, when it can and does get people killed?

A 'general' direction, which can be out 30 degrees is not accurate enough to be teaching it.

It reminds me of the popular American myth still found in so called survival 'instructors' manuals over their in the states (in glorious colour photos) of using a condom for carrying water!

Thats has to be about the dumbest most useless modern ways of transporting water I could dream up, yet it's published for the world to see.

If you want to learn Nav, then learn it properly, and practise it, and you'll also laugh at ridiculous 'tips' like using an analogue whatch!!!!
    As the Assistant Navigator on a United States Navy nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine, your definition of proper navigation and mine probably differ a bit.

I think everybody realizes that it may not be the most accurate method, but it is a method for one of those when all else fails sort of moments.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's becoming a bit clear that it's your way or no way. Not being able to think outside the box and not being able to utilize alternatives can and does get people killed. Not here in the States of course...I saw that on a reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    Magnetic north has been changing going west for some time.
    checking the date on your map is a good thing indeed.
    Checking the currency of data on maps is very important. A long time ago, while wintering in the Uwharrie National Forest, we had maps with 40 year old road data. It was something to watch, at 0300 or so, about 6 or 7 GIs taking the azimuth of the road and not finding it on the map. Lesson learned.

About that time, I developed my foolproof method of determining where I am. I stand up, put my left arm toward my front and my right arm out to the side. .................................................. ....................

Where they meet is where you are, every time!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

But that would be.....ooooh, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    .............About that time, I developed my foolproof method of determining where I am. I stand up, put my left arm toward my front and my right arm out to the side. .................................................. ....................

Where they meet is where you are, every time!
    Bhohahahah
    You are where you are all the time.....scenery is just different.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27