Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBQ WARS beef brisket VS pork shoulder

Korean kalbi sauce for bbq is good also parks brand not sold outside Hawaii though.

Ohhhhh.....where do I start? I live in northeastern N.C., so for me BBQ means a pulled pork sammich. If I'm making my own Q, it's a pork butt low and slow. I do use charcoal, but with some wood chunks for smoke. (I actually like pecan the best.)

Now what I consider "real" Q is whole hog cooked low and slow over hickory, oak or pecan coals, but unlike many Q-people I also enjoy other styles of BBQ. I like brisket, ribs, etc. I like memphis and K.C. style ribs. I like brisket and sausages from Texas. I'm an eastern N.C. guy, but I also like western N.C. BBQ. (Although, I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of S.C. mustard based sauce.)

I do like to put cole-slaw on my home made Q, but mainly because I don't sauce my Q and the dressing from the slaw works great as sauce. (The dressing from my slaw is basically Alabama white sauce.) Hahaha.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Here's a recipe for you. It's quick and easy and oh so good. I cooked a dozen full slabs of ribs a couple of weeks ago and made this recipe X 4.

Creamy Coleslaw

1 Package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
    ¾ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/3 cup sour cream
    ¼ cup sugar
    ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
    ½ teaspoon ground mustard
    ¼ teaspoon celery salt

Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir until blended. Pour over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.

Here is a video that I found very interesting. It's about the history of BBQ. It gives info about how eastern and western NC ended up with different styles of BBQ, as well as how brisket and smoked sausages became popular in Texas.
    (Warning: It's 26 minutes long.)

http://video.unctv.org/video/2365252126/
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Rick, that's not far off of what I make. I use about a cup of mayo, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and a good sprinkle of celery seed. (If you add some horse radish and cayenne, you have Alabama white sauce.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

...and for those of you who want a shorter BBQ lesson, here is one that's only 3:26 minutes long.
    (It's also Ken's favorite song.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's a recipe for you. It's quick and easy and oh so good. I cooked a dozen full slabs of ribs a couple of weeks ago and made this recipe X 4.

Creamy Coleslaw

1 Package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
    ¾ cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/3 cup sour cream
    ¼ cup sugar
    ¾ teaspoon seasoned salt
    ½ teaspoon ground mustard
    ¼ teaspoon celery salt

Place coleslaw mix in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir until blended. Pour over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving.
    You better check with the post office....seems that they lost my samples.....AGAIN!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I hate it when that happens. I send stuff to QC and it never makes it. Bloody government employees! Makes me want to go postal.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Use Fed-X.

That is how my BBQ place down in TN gets my share of happiness to me.

They have little thermal packs, the BBQ is still warm and the slaw is still cold.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I...uh....don't need any help here. (Crash is just jockeying for a free meal. Don't tell him I said that....typed it...whatever)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, but Crash is eating much smaller meals than when you last tried to feed him!

He would not make it through a half BBQ sandwich and two small spoons of coleslaw before he had to call it quits!

Not being critical, just stating the results of the adjustments he has chosen.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

To help my friend, Crash, and in the interest of keeping QC up to par, I would be happy to take up any BBQ eating slack.
    (I'm helpful, like that.)

(Also....feel free to forward any bacon that needs tasting.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I hear there is good que in Hickory,NC just heard that,s all.

I hate it when that happens. I send stuff to QC and it never makes it. Bloody government employees! Makes me want to go postal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Use Fed-X.

That is how my BBQ place down in TN gets my share of happiness to me.

They have little thermal packs, the BBQ is still warm and the slaw is still cold.
    I...uh....don't need any help here. (Crash is just jockeying for a free meal. Don't tell him I said that....typed it...whatever)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yes, but Crash is eating much smaller meals than when you last tried to feed him!

He would not make it through a half BBQ sandwich and two small spoons of coleslaw before he had to call it quits!

Not being critical, just stating the results of the adjustments he has chosen.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    To help my friend, Crash, and in the interest of keeping QC up to par, I would be happy to take up any BBQ eating slack.
    (I'm helpful, like that.)

(Also....feel free to forward any bacon that needs tasting.)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm kinda partial to beef although I do occasionally enjoy pork ribs, like today. lol

Although I do live near lockhart texas which is considered the bbq capitol of texas