Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFK Knives "IPAK"

Last edited by DSJohnson; 05-19-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: I posted the same picture twice

How thick is the spine on that?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    How thick is the spine on that?
    A full .25 of an inch.

hi folks ifound these knives on ebay and could not believe they were really highly polished D2 steel with micardia handles-but i bought four of them and they really do seem to be more than I d expect for the dough

I've bought quite a few of their knives on ebay (30+). They are pretty good knives for the price, but their customer service is some of the worst I've ever dealt with. They have sent me multiple knives, listed as brand new, that were scratched/used...I'm not talking about nit-picky handmade imperfections/flaws...I mean really deeply scratched up, post production. Got a few bad sheaths also with big black ink or grease spots on them and real dirty like they've been laying around on the shop floor.

Until recently they disclosed serious defects, scratches etc. in the listing, and sold them as 2nd's, but apparently they don't always do that anymore...they rely on the "handmade imperfections" disclaimer. If you decide to buy one, you'd better really look at the pictures closely...but of course that may not show deep scratches. Be sure to look at the logos. They are really bad about not striking them deeply enough. Sometimes half is missing...sometimes nearly all of it is missing...sometimes it's fine.

Don't dare contact them with a problem unless you want a real argument. They take an immediate argumentative/rude stance, like you're guilty of something. I buy, sell and collect knives and lots of them come from ebay. I expect problems, but expect sellers to address the problems responsibly. I never leave negative feedback on ebay, but I left neutral feedback to warn others, and then only after several ridiculous customer service encounters with the company over a $60 knife....anyway, they blocked me, just like they do anyone who complains. They always respond in a snotty way, then block the ebay user. I'd say you may get 4 out of 5 knives without a problem but don't complain about a problem with the defective 5th one.
    Last edited by drumwraith; 09-17-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    First let me just say "I DID use the search feature to search for "CFK". "CFK knife" and CFK Knives"

Have any of y'all looked at, used or tested these knives? Thoughts, opinions, information about them or the brand? They seem to be sold "exclusively" on ebay. Lot of negative posts on some knife making forums and blade forums because they have USA on the blade while it seems that most everyone feels that they are being made in some "other/Pakistan" county.

So anyone care to give me your opinion of the product?

Thank you.

Dave
    I have one that I'm reviewing right now.

And I agree, I'm a member of "that" knife forum that just blasts CFK at every turn. I posted publicly that if they sent me a blade, I'd make a video review after a few months of testing - love it, hate it I'd speak the truth. The [one?] owner sent me this huge bushcraft knife that I'm a few months into reviewing.

I can't speak to where they are made but I can tell you it is high carbon steel. It sparks when I strike chert on the spine. The paperwork that arrived wit hit says it's D2 tool steel. I believe it. The blade patina's fine with mustard. The handles are micarta, attached with aluminum pins. The blade is 1/4" thick at the spine and hollow ground from tip to hilt. It has a 'modified' "Tracker" design and came very sharp. It has obvious imperfections on the blade but that is stated in their ads.

Since I'm not done reviewing it I don't want to give up too much info - but aside from a few minor issues I have with it [and by minor issues, I mean someone will say "you are being too nit-picky, dude"] I like it enough to replace my KA*BAR as my woods blade.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I had never heard about them, so the following opinion is just that....an opinion based on a quick review.

After looking them up and viewing their ebay offerings, I believe that they are not hand made and that they are not made in the United States. I say this for a few reasons. First - any knife maker that only offers their knives on ebay is kind of weird to me. Secondly - some may look at their pricing and think they are getting a bargain. For Damascus steel, I cannot buy a piece of flat stock for the price point that some of those knives are going for. Third - many of the knife styles appear to be copies of popular knives that are sold elsewhere.
    I did the same thing when I initially heard about them on "that" forum. But in looking in to their EBay rating, they are doing way better than other sellers period. Last I checked [about 2 weeks ago], they had a 100% feedback rating on thousands of sales.

If you take them at their word, "bringing good working blades to more people" [or whatever their ad says]...then EBay only makes sense. If you are trying to sell volume and don't have Lynn Thompson kind of money for advertising...then EBay makes even more sense.

The bid system lets you determine what a "bargain" is.

As far as "look like copies"........I can say the same about Buck, Case and almost every other major manufacturer of knives. Use the Buck model 110 as only one example. There are dozens of copies by equal number of companies. No one gripes about that though...

Like i said, without going too far into the blade I like it enough to replace my KA*BAR with it.
    Last edited by druid; 09-09-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    I like it enough to replace my KA*BAR as my woods blade.
    Like i said, without going too far into the blade I like it enough to replace my KA*BAR with it.
    That's saying a lot as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks for your initial thoughts!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    That's saying a lot as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks for your initial thoughts!
    Yes it is because in fact, I absolutely love my KA*BAR. It's just that I'm one of those guys who believes "every tool has its intended purpose." The KA*BAR has served me well in the woods but it is a fighting knife and so, that's how I prefer to utilize it.

...and actually, my absolute favorite woods blade was my Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie in Carbon V - but I lost that one to my one daughter for her woods bag. I replaced that with the KA*BAR with the intent on getting another TM Bowie but time went on and never got around to it. Then lately with the CS frivolous and ridiculous lawsuit against CRKT, I have vowed never to buy another CS product ever again.
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence

so im curious DSjohnson...whats the update? Did they turn out good or are they crap? Im looking at a couple on ebay now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have been carrying one of them in my truck and I gave/loaned the other to a friend. Mine keeps an edge well and stays sharp after cutting up heavy cardboard boxes. I also used it to cut plastic strapping/banding used on pallets. That dulled the edge pretty quickly. The blade sharpens easily and has not stained or rusted much at all. I have used it to skin a couple of deer this fall. I ended up using it to butcher one of them. It is not perfect for me. the blade is extremely thick when you try and split kindling with it and the handle gets very slippery when it is wet. I have thinned the handle scales some and put a couple of ranger bands on it. I would buy it again and I think if you can get one for less than $65 or $70 I think they are well worth that. If you go much past that there are others blades I would rather spend $75 on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Now that is established.....
    What did you send?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

CFK CUTLERY CO.
    Oregon Assumed Business Name · Updated 8/31/2015

Cfk Cutlery Co. is an Oregon Assumed Business Name filed on January 30, 2013. The company's filing status is listed as Active and its File Number is 911762-98.

The Registered Agent on file for this company is Jason G Baker and is located at 18815 Sw Alderwood Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006. The company's principal address is 18815 Sw Alderwood Drive, Beaverton, OR 97006.

The company has 1 principal on record. The principal is Jason G Baker from Beaverton OR

The address come to a wooded residential neighborhood. - there are no factory locations recognized by Google.

The knives are final assembled in Pakistan.

The owl has spoken... I don't care if I am wrong... feel free,

The Damascus is forged in England and shipped back. Says so on the website
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

In my very first post I said that most every one pretty much agreed that they were probably made in Pakistan. No argument from me on that at all.

I understand. Kind of surprised he can get away with it.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Wow. I was gonna say something like that but felt it might be perceived as been a smart a$$. I really am curious how he can stamp his blades "Made in the U.S.A."

Actually, they don't. They simply say USA and handmade knives. Unless something has changed.