Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my Garrett Revolver IWB holster for the LCRx 3" today! V2.

Default Got my Garrett Revolver IWB holster for the LCRx 3" today! V2.

I finally got it! Some of you may recall that I had some issues with the first one (mold gun didn't have enough height for the sight). Garrett got another one sent out and I got it today. I haven't really worn it around but I will say fit wise that they nailed it! This one fits perfectly. The sight channel/track is maxed out but that's not a bad thing, the sight itself isn't rubbing the liner. Initially I thought it would be inconvenient to adjust retention since the top screw is slightly behind the clip. That wouldn't have been a huge deal since you really only need to adjust it once. Turns out thought that with this particular gun the bottom screw really does most of the adjustment.

Time will tell if this is better than the regular IWB. The Revolver IWB moves the clip from the middle of the body to the trigger guard. The reasoning is that the cylinder is the fat part of the gun so moving the clip prevents it riding on the widest part. In actual practice though the LCRx has a pretty thin cylinder as revolvers go since it's just a 5-shot. Moving the clip over requires a wider body; this makes a somewhat large holster for a pretty small gun. I think it will work great but I'm not sure if I'll like it was well as the regular IWB. But I wanted to try it, so if in not that's on me.

Here are a few pics from different angles to show the holster & gun.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

These last two show the IWB for my old 2" version next to the new Revolver IWB for the 3" version. Note the stamping on the back. Garrett was kind enough to stamp the name of the gun on my last few purchases. I have so many of their holsters (maybe 11 now) that it was getting hard to keep them all straight and tell them apart without trying each one.

All in all I'm quite happy with how this one turned out! Kudos to Garrett for making another great product. I'll update this thread when I have the chance to wear it for awhile.

Cool beans......still looking to pull the trigger on one for the LCR.
    My flashlight is black so the grips on mine are black as well.....gotta match, right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's a nice looking set up. Not for me though. I have a tough enough time getting me inside the waistband without adding anything else. I carry outside. I don't own any Garrett holsters, which is sort of surprising since I have a bunch. I do like the fact they stamp the weapon the holster is made for. That will be a time saver. Like you, I often wonder, what did this one go to? Then spend a few minutes trying fit square pegs into round holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's a nice looking set up. Not for me though. I have a tough enough time getting me inside the waistband without adding anything else. I carry outside. I don't own any Garrett holsters, which is sort of surprising since I have a bunch. I do like the fact they stamp the weapon the holster is made for. That will be a time saver. Like you, I often wonder, what did this one go to? Then spend a few minutes trying fit square pegs into round holes.
    They don't normally stamp the name of the weapon on the holster. I suggested to them a ways back that it would be a good idea and they e-mailed back that they'd do for all of mine. But yeah, that's why I asked for it. It's the only revolver I own so that one is easy but it's hard to tell apart the holster for, say, the HK VP9 and the HK P30. The guns are super similar in shape but being kydex they won't fit each others holsters. So it's nice to have the things marked.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Cool beans......still looking to pull the trigger on one for the LCR.
    My flashlight is black so the grips on mine are black as well.....gotta match, right?
    If you go that route I think you'll be pleased. The one with the skinny clip in the bottom two pictures is for the old LCR and the fit is fantastic. The gun just disappears yet it's very easy to draw from. You can adjust the cant and retention independently to get a really great presentation.

Thanks for the write up and review.

BTW found a pair of holsters at Walmart today.......as close to purple as I could get.....

Man oh man. I do NOT want to be there when his wife finds out.

"You used your daughter's flip flops for what?!"

BTW found a pair of holsters at Walmart today.......as close to purple as I could get.....

thats a great idea and if your not carrying you might be able to use it as a sandal maybe ???

How do you like carrying a revolver IWB? I love revolvers, and have my S&W .357 on my carry roster, but would never carry it. Seems like that hammer could get pulled and released a little too easy for my liking.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Wow, now that you bring it up....... does kinda does look like one, huh?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Need to find a left handed shooter with the same gun so you can split a pair of holsters!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm bilingual, I can shoot with either hand......?

I'm bilingual, I can shoot with either hand......?
    If that's how it works i'm scared to find out what you shoot it with when you're trilingual.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    How do you like carrying a revolver IWB? I love revolvers, and have my S&W .357 on my carry roster, but would never carry it. Seems like that hammer could get pulled and released a little too easy for my liking.

I carry a model 29-2 and occasionally my my model 66-1 out in the woods and I use a thumb snap to hold the hammer. I am wary of hammers snagging as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    If this is directed to me I like it fine! It's hard to imagine how the hammer could be cocked but something poking into the holster. First, the sweat shield comes up way over the hammer, preventing any contact with the side of the gun facing the body. Nothing can reach the gun from that side. So something would have to in from the other side. But the hammer is small and takes a lot of force to cock. It's also mostly shielded by the belt. I don't recall ever hearing of a revolver being cocked accidentally while holstered (not even a wild rumor). Even if by some freakish chance something did catch the hammer it can't be cocked- the body of the holster binds the cylinder and stops it from moving. Just now with it sitting in front of me (unloaded!) I tried to cock it with my thumb and it simply can't be done- there's not enough mechanical advantage from that small lever to turn the comparatively large cylinder. Lastly, even with two impossible things happening before breakfast something would have to trigger the gun. And there's no way I can conceive of for anything to get to the trigger. The body of the holster covers the trigger completely from both sides. Something would have to already be present in there before the gun went in the holster. Possible, but we're starting to really stack the marbles pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I carry a model 29-2 and occasionally my my model 66-1 out in the woods and I use a thumb snap to hold the hammer. I am wary of hammers snagging as well.
    BTW, I don't know about that particular Smith but if was made in the last 50 years it probably has a transfer bar safety similar to the LCR. Even if you partially cock the hammer and let it drop on my LCRx the firing pin still cannot contact the primer of the round in the chamber. Not unless the trigger is also engaged.

Snagging the hammer seems like a near impossibility when the gun is carried IWB. Perhaps carried openly in an OWB holster it would be possible though.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Smith revolvers have traditionally used a hammer block system.

There is a piece of steel between the hammer and the frame that prevents the fixed firing pin from striking the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled to remove it from place.

That is exactly the opposite from the "transfer bar" which goes into place when the trigger is pulled to allow the hammer to strike a separate firing pin which strikes the cartridge.

Either system is efficient and safe. You can strike the hammer with a solid object and it will not fire the gun unless the trigger is fully to the rear. Neither will a snagged hammer discharge the weapon.

Or a shirt tail brushing the trigger.

I pocket carry my snub nosed revolvers frequently with no holster and very often using simple IWB holsters. There are no safety concerns outside the normal safe gun handling processes.

Thumb snaps and straps are best used for retention but if they make you feel safe so much the better.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-24-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I think I have two holsters with an over the hammer strap. It's there to keep the weapon in the holster. I have several flap holsters for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Smith revolvers have traditionally used a hammer block system.

There is a piece of steel between the hammer and the frame that prevents the fixed firing pin from striking the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled to remove it from place.

That is exactly the opposite from the "transfer bar" which goes into place when the trigger is pulled to allow the hammer to strike a separate firing pin which strikes the cartridge.

Either system is efficient and safe. You can strike the hammer with a solid object and it will not fire the gun unless the trigger is fully to the rear. Neither will a snagged hammer discharge the weapon.

Or a shirt tail brushing the trigger.

I pocket carry my snub nosed revolvers frequently with no holster and very often using simple IWB holsters. There are no safety concerns outside the normal safe gun handling processes.

Thumb snaps and straps are best used for retention but if they make you feel safe so much the better.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure of the mechanism but I know all modern revolvers (and nearly all "modern" autos) have some kind of mechanism to prevent a blow to the hammer from causing the gun to fire without the trigger being pulled.

My dad just got an lcrx and hasn't gotten a holster yet. He said he wanted an IWB so I will have to show this to him!
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson