Thread: Inherited Gear

Default Inherited Gear

I know I have gear that I've gotten from my father and grandfathers. I'm sure everyone does. There's always a good story behind it too. What inherited gear do you like?

Mostly all are firearms, knives, tools, a compass or two.....but bags and such have been worn out years ago.......

But yeah, using something of some one else's gear.......seems like taking them with you....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have all of my fathers firearms, knives, fishing gear and tools.
    And you are right hunter, I can sense his presence whenever I get it out.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Last few years I have lost a BIL and good friend that were hunting partners.....for a long time.
    I carry some of their gear.

Some times when I'm sitting there I discuss the day with them....and cuss them for leaving me out there by my self.....
    Some days get reeeeeelly long....LOL

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Neither my father nor my Grandfathers were outdoorsmen. It all starts with me.... My dad wanted to be like Al Capone as he was raised in Chicago. He was an alcoholic and a diabetic and died very young. When the police investigated his death they found four unregistered handguns in his apartment which they confiscated. I never even got one of those....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I inherited a bunch of stuff, a few firearms, leghold traps, knives, gun paraphernalia, books, metal working equipment, sawmill equipment, planers, tractors logging equipment etc. I could start a small museum because most of the stuff is dated, the planers are over a hundred years old as is much of the other stuff.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

......and we enjoy seeing some of it from time to time.......
    "Hey anyone heard of these?".......
    (randy)..."Yeah, got two or three....like this?"

Thanks man.

LOL, it started like this, grandpa had one so dad wanted one too. Then randy thought cool grandpa and dad have one I want one too. Before it was all said and done I ended up with a bunch of stuff.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Novice Fisher and Trapper

I got some leg hold traps, a bow, and a bunch of knives from my grandpa but he just gave them to me i didnt reall "inherit" them
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Well, speaking of hats in that other thread gave me the idea to wear my late husband's hat on my canoe trip this summer.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Mostly all are firearms, knives, tools, a compass or two.....but bags and such have been worn out years ago.......

But yeah, using something of some one else's gear.......seems like taking them with you....
    I like using my Grandfather's gear a lot. Like just about everyone else, I got knives, tools, and other outdoor gear after he passed. I think it's sentimental value makes it more valuable than anything I could buy. Another thing I like about inherited gear is its quality. Today's gear, correct me if I'm wrong, is not built like it was in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Even if you find somebody who makes gear to the same standard, you're going to pay a lot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Well, speaking of hats in that other thread gave me the idea to wear my late husband's hat on my canoe trip this summer.
    Sorry to hear about your husband, but I'm glad we could help!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy13426 View Post
    I got some leg hold traps, a bow, and a bunch of knives from my grandpa but he just gave them to me i didnt reall "inherit" them
    That's how it is with my Dad. I didn't inherit it, but the sentimental value is just the same to me.

I have inherited a number of items From my father, whom was in the South African defense force fighting in the bush wars in the 70ies and 80ies.
    mostly they are ex military pouches/bags, punchos and tarps, mess kits
    and a few other things here and there that he managed to collect over the years from other various regiments such as special forces gear.
    They are all very very well made things that do not break despite them being upto 35 years old or even older.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have a couple of long guns and a couple of pocket knives I inherited from my grand dads.

But one thing I can guarantee...

My grandson is going to crap a brick when they read my will!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My most valued, though I never use them now are my step father and my grandpa's fly rods. Both are early wonderods and as long as they may stay is serviceable condition I'd like to keep them so. It's a wonder to me anything that old made of old school fiberglass has held up as well as they have.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I inherited a jon boat and a 4.9 Evinrude. My brother-in-law (my sister's husband) and I took that boat everywhere. We would portage that boat over the levies to get it to the glades. Probably why we both have bad backs now. But, we fished that boat to hell and back.

We were teens back then and we moved on to bigger jon boats with bigger motors. We decked them out and rigged them up. Then we bought ready rigged bass boats and that little boat sat for decades. Now, my granddaughters are fishing out of it.

I inherited a Browning Auto5 from my father-in-law (my wife's father).

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'll bet that Evinrude is still running too!

I have a Johnson 5hp that dates back to 1951 and it pushes my 12' johnboat just fine.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yup, and you can set it aside for a long time and 3 pulls and she is running!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I inherited a few guns from my father but had to sell them years ago when I was on hard times. One was a 5mm Remington varmint rifle that was in production only for a short time. I have only one item left, a Buck 110 folding knife he purchased in the early 70's. He wasn't a big outdoorsman by any means but did do a little hunting and enjoyed fishing.

These days I think more about my equipment going to my son, my only child. He's an avid outdoorsman that I have well equipped over the years, but I believe he will cherish my things. One of my prize possession is my book collection which is mainly composed of outdoor books. I know he'll keep them, but the other part of my collection is cooking books. I enjoy cooking and have accumulated over 200 cooking books of all types. Now my son likes to cook and is getting very good at it but, he has said that 200 or more cookbooks might be a little much. I believe I'll need to plan who I would like to receive this collection after he takes the ones he wants. Something to think about?
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com