Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush Hats 101

Blog Entries

I also favour a Tilley type hat in the summer, except when fishing, I have a special 'lucky' ball cap for that. Winter time I have a variety of bobble hats and a much loved silly pull on hat made of fleece.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    DW says....."Why do you have so many hats?".........I say, "Why do you have so many magic soaps, potions, and lotions in the bathroom".........Then we both stop before the Fight.

Zack.....You get what you pay for....and I don't have a problem paying more for something I like and want....than cheap-ing out and putting up with something I don't like.

But, I does kinda of grate me that I have to pay a premium to advertise for some one else......They should pay ME to wear them.

I think my heavy ball cap came from Gander Mountain......and have worn it hunting in about 5 states for several types of game, for 25 years or so...and has fold up ear flaps.

For hot weather...any old "free" braze orange or camo, hats given away by many organizations and such.....Ducks Unlimited, Wildlife Federation, White Tails Forever, Pheasants Forever, Milwaukee County Highway Department, Husky Tool ( I have a Husky Tool...LOL), and many, many others.

I like free hats.

As I wear Stormy Kromer hats that have a head size in them.....I used the same size for the Tilly...works for me,.....you wear them loose.

Got a couple of boonie canvas hats....they are hot....and found a couple of Stetsons,.... looking for a cleaning and sizing place local....they are felt w/a small percentage of beaver felt.

When It comes to hats and caps.......Sometimes I feel like a Tilly....sometimes I don't.
    I'll have to start looking. I thought $25-$30 for a blaze orange hat with just "Cabela's" printed on the front was too steep, but maybe not. I'm going pheasant hunting next week, so I suppose my WalMart hat will do, but I'd like to upgrade before next fall. There's a Gander Mountain about an hour's drive from my house, so maybe a road trip is in order!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I also favour a Tilley type hat in the summer, except when fishing, I have a special 'lucky' ball cap for that. Winter time I have a variety of bobble hats and a much loved silly pull on hat made of fleece.
    I have a wool watch cap that I like. I tried some different pull on hats, but there were not that were as warm or as comfortable as the military surplus one I have.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I prefer a brimmed felt hat when I am out in the woods. If it is cool weather I wear my Navy issued wool watch cap(knit stocking cap). I use a bandana quite a bit as well. If I am working and it is warm I will use a bandana.
    It's hard to beat that surplus watch cap!

I generally don't wear hats, but if I do, it's a wool beanie (my youngest daughter made it for me) or a boonie hat.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Mostly i wear a toque or beanie,ballcap when its real warm in summer
    D

I generally go with the ol' boonie hat.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

I used to wear boonie hats but gave them all away after I bought my Tilley. there's so many cool things about a Tilley that it's amazing. For a change of pace I now have a tactical Camo ball cap, and for certain climate changes I love my Shemagh! Watch caps keep sliding up to the top of my head which my wife says wouldn't happen if my head didn't come to a point!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Not exactly a bush hat but my newest one. This is a Jayne Hat, knitted by one of my daughter's awesome roller derby team mates, specially for me. Some of you will recognize it, some of you wont. But as the saying goes, "Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." It works for women too.

https://youtu.be/snvVOl6LNwg

Of course it's a bit frosted up, but...not afraid of anything!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I am primarily a ball cap wearer. Outside of work and church, it is rare that you do see one on my head. Some times I will wear a bandana with a ball cap to shade my neck depending on the activity. I also have a few milsurp boonies and watch caps. I like them too, under certain circumstances.

Always wanted a tilly or similar knock-off. Just never actually got one. Hmmmmm. It just occurred to me that Father's day is a few months out! Oh wifey!!!!!!!!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Not exactly a bush hat but my newest one. This is a Jayne Hat, knitted by one of my daughter's awesome roller derby team mates, specially for me. Some of you will recognize it, some of you wont. But as the saying goes, "Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." It works for women too.

https://youtu.be/snvVOl6LNwg

Of course it's a bit frosted up, but...not afraid of anything!

awesome picture, blue or green?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Blue. And here's another kind of hat I often wear.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

that's a awesome picture too
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I am quite certain a Tilly tin hat is worth the money but I can not buy one since there are no outlets near me. Tilly does not size their hats and the standard s/m/L/xl does not correspond to my head. I refuse to spend that much money and not have the hat fit.

I am a hat wearer and seldom go out the door without head gear. Those that have met me know why. I am bald as a door knob and have that wonderful knack of smacking my head against anything and everything that will nick, scrape, cut, scuff or otherwise disfigure my scalp. I even had hot lead splash out of the melt pot and land on my head once (note to self; always wear a hat while casting bullets!)

I am currently wearing a Brazilian Tarp Hat of fedora pattern.

I have been wearing it since last fall and have found it comfortable and rugged. Since it looks half worn out when you get it there is not much you can do to ruin it! I can recommend the brand highly for both comfort and ruggedness.

They are made from patchwork canvas that was supposed to have been used as truck covers on the Brazilian back roads. Maybe so, maybe not, they are still a tough as nails hat with a wire brim stiffener that you can abuse and then reshape over and over. Plus it makes you look like a zombie hunter.

I did modify mine with a heavy application of camp seal spray. It sheds water like a duck.

I am waiting to see how it does this summer. I usually change to a lighter soft cloth cap for summer wear, and baseball caps for work around the yard. The BTH is heavy fabric and may be too hot for summer wear.
    Hi. That's interesting, Tilley hats here in the UK are sized! Mine are 58/59 and fit real well.
    I have two Tilley hats for the winter and a summer one.

I also use a wool watch cap and a MTP bush hat depending on the activity.

I wear my hair a 1 on the side and a 2 on the top. I allow my hair to grow until my hats start getting tight or I need to use a comb. LOL Then I get the wife to shear me. I know I ain't the only one on this site who has to hold off on using a specific hat till I get a hair cut. I'll bet I ain't the only one who's wife cuts there hair.

I have tried cutting my own hair. I am goofy enough looking with out that addition.

Does she run you through the dip tank too? I have to go to the barbershop. None of the world's problems would ever be solved if guys didn't go to barbershops. We usually fix three or four major world issues while I'm there. I have no idea the dozens of things fixed when I'm not there. It takes that constant flow of guys into barbershops to keep the world balanced.

Boonie style hats for me when I wear them. I've done enough damage to my ears and neck regarding sun, so I give them a break when I can.

Barbershops for me too. Yep, all the worlds social and political problems solved while there.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, DW has gotten me to go to her Stylist.....so it 3 snips and a spit polish for $10 bucks.......
    She has to use her ....ahhh...front(?) to hold my head still, kinda sticks in down between them....and snips away.

Only problem is when my ears are covered, she ask me questions....and I say "WHAT?"

So I tip her another $10 bucks......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dang it. Still fingering out the pic thing here...