Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be honest- how many things have you purchased just to get the tin/container?

Default Be honest- how many things have you purchased just to get the tin/container?

I was at Big Lots (a kind of dollar/discount chain that has locations in the mid-west) yesterday and found some Earl Grey tea. I drink EG quite a bit but the really cool thing was the tin! About 2.75" x 2.75" x maybe 1" thick. Very nice and sturdy. Basically a squarer altoids tin that's deeper and not hinged. For $2.99 I figured why not? I'll drink the tea for sure then I'll have another tin. Which is a relief since I'm down to maybe my last two or three hundred small tins!

There has been a time or two where my purchase was influenced by the tin or container.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I must admit to the same affliction. It's not just the tin. Simply Orange bottles, cat litter in buckets, food in handy sized/shaped bottles and jars, folgers in the plastic tubs for rust free parts sorting or planters.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've been known to buy Altoids, dump the mints in a baggie, then using the tin.
    I don't care for the mints, but the tin is always good for something.
    I also buy smaller metal cans of coffee for the storage possibilities.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

guilty as charged. dollarstore cookie tins, altoids,mink oil tin though i do use the mink oil on my boots.
    i did,nt know i was afflicted with tin storage diease.oh dear

My name is Hunter63, and I am a tin-oholic......Yeah.......been known to buy something , open and dump the contents...use the tin.

Not so much with Altoids tins....too small, but the larger canister type.... thrift store, flour sugar etc.
    Got in the habit to store stuff that mice eat in the garage, shed, The Place.....
    Found a open box of "strike anywhere" matches on my work bench , in the shed at The Place...you could see where the box had been chewed open, and a couple of matches where burned, and in, mice did it....Could have easily burned down everything.

Lots of stuff in tins now.

Always thinking about uses of many things that I come across every day.

BTW, I like Big Lots......used to buy odd length garden hoses, 8', 13' 17' what ever, of a coupl eof buck apiece.

Lately it has been the 8 LED flashlights for $10 bucks w/batteries....I have them scattered every where.
    Can't buy 24 batteries for that.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-11-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Guilty as charged. It would seem to be a necessary affliction to have to be a member of WSF.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Definitely guilty as charged. I've even been known to buy gifts for people knowing that when they use what's inside, they will give me the tin.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Definitely guilty as charged. I've even been known to buy gifts for people knowing that when they use what's inside, they will give me the tin.
    Bhohahaha.....I hear ya.......

When I go backpacking, I buy Poweraid in the 32 oz size. It is nice that I get free Poweraid with the bottle. When I take the scouts, I buy one for each of them. That solves the "I forgot a water bottle" problem.

A lot of times I get them for $0.50 each.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Guilty as charged, too.

Yep I am sure it is a necessity of life and not an addiction or at least that is my story.

All The time, I'm also guilty of buying them holiday gift sets just to get one item that's bundled together !!! Like at Christmas I bought my son a new pocket knife, it was a boxed set came with a Gerber shard Guess who got the shard LOL!!! and the tin it came in
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep, Christmas time popcorn in the can. Though the cans are getting more flimsy by the minute!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    All The time, I'm also guilty of buying them holiday gift sets just to get one item that's bundled together !!! Like at Christmas I bought my son a new pocket knife, it was a boxed set came with a Gerber shard Guess who got the shard LOL!!! and the tin it came in
    Yes, Gerber knife tins are pretty nice. I use one as my chartin. The knives are nice too! Metal watch boxes are good as well.

Spread out some grass seed on some winter bare spots, as the snow is melting....looking for a tin big enough for the balance....or the mice will get it.

I buy those small (6oz) cans of tomato paste all the time for making fancy feast alcohol stoves. My Cat eats tons of fancy feast but I never use tomato paste.

Oh yeah. The most often is a Gatorade, for the pee bottle post app.

The make an app for that? Sheeesh, they make an app for everything today.

Probably the most purchased container for myself would be the Altoids Tin,don't know why because I have plenty of other things around for storage but they just look cool.
    "Failing to plan is Planning to fail"