Thread: Mt. House Foods vs The Other Guys

Default Mt. House Foods vs The Other Guys

I thought folks might find this article interesting.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/blog/20...ncy-food-isnt/

That is definitely an interesting study. I would be more interested in the same study for dehydrated and freeze dried food in #10 cans. If I were to pick a foil pouched meal, I generally go for Mountain House. This is based on taste and variety. This study just reinforces. For backpacking, I do like Backpacker's Pantry for a few meals, but that generally entails me using it within a month or two, not 20 years after purchase.

With that being said, for long term storage I like to use #10 cans with individual freeze dried components (like a #10 can of peas or broccoli or chicken). I am trying to get away from full meals altogether. I don't think any of those meals, regardless of brand, are all that healthy. I also think it is cheaper. I am starting to experiment with making my own freeze dried concoctions and I think the costs are much lower than any Mountain House.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

With just two of us #10 cans are just way too much. I've tried powdered eggs, which you would think you'd be able to use up but it was still too much for two people. At least with our eating habits.

Well, you can get food in smaller cans as well. #2.5.

You betcha. There are a lot of different sizes. I was just surprised that we couldn't use up something as common as powdered eggs in a #10 can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You betcha. There are a lot of different sizes. I was just surprised that we couldn't use up something as common as powdered eggs in a #10 can.
    That has always slowed us down on "Bulk"anything.
    Two people, how long will a #10 can of anything last?....and how many years will it take to want to open another?

We prefer the smaller portions....and, Yes, I know it's more expensive up front, but if you only use 1/2,.... toss the rest, or it goes bad....How expensive is that?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I haven't tried eggs yet, but everything else I have tried, I used it up....with just myself. Of course, in a real emergency, I do have 6 kids and a wife....so I don't worry too much about not using it.

Last edited by sjj; 12-15-2017 at 10:18 AM.

one thing i found by using those powerd egggs is this you use a whole lot more than the can says to make say scrambled eggs or for pancakes.

I prefer mountain house over wise. Although they cost a little bit more, I find the mountain house meals are chunkier where as the wise meals are more like mush.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

All I use is Mt. House. My kids seem to like them better as far as taste (3 picky teen daughters). We eat them from time to time for training.

Sent from my UFO mother ship

Mt House is the way to go, some of the other stuff contains a LOT of powder.

I stock a lot of Augasen Farms food. I basically store a lot of staples like powdered milk, flour, cornmeal, butter powder, cheese powder, vegetables, pancake mix, rolled oats, sugar, salt, rice, chicken and beef bouillion, and dehydrated fruit. I also store several cans of meat and soup mixed. I have a lot of beans and rice, easily 2 years worth!
    I like having things that we can make many different things out of. Since I have a large garden and 2 freezers, having all of the staples are really all we need.
    We also keep a large supply of regular canned goods and rotate them to keep them from getting old! Augasen Farms dehydrated milk is the best I ever tasted, and that is one thing we use a lot of. I like having the staples to make just about anything we want instead of little bags of stuff that isn't all that good. I do have about 15 of the 6 gallon, 72 hour pails with all of the little packets in them but plan on only using them when the staples run low! The
    Grizzly Ridge dinners aren't bad, but don't know how they compare to Mountain House! They would definitely beat starving I know that!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 07-23-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Banned

Default Quality is super important for longterm storage, not as much for short camping trips

Very good article. Quality is mostly measured in consistency or low standard of deviation which indicates Mountain House's process is very good. I would feel best about buying their products for long term storage. All that quality is worthless if you allow the mylar packet to get damaged then put it back in storage with tiny cracks or holes in it.

However, for camping when I need dehydrated foods or just want to reduce the smell of my rucksack/backpack (varmints and bears etc.) I prefer to reduce cost and just buy dry foods in paper or simple mylar packs from the supermarket. These may only have a shelf life of a few months but I am going to eat them in a few days or weeks and cook in my tiny cook pot and want to reduce the bulk of all those super thick mylar packs from Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry etc. Also dehydrating my own with a dehydrator or larger amount in a makeshift way in oven with light and small fan works I just don't expect this to last more than a few months perhaps a year or 2 at the most. My process cannot compare to that of Mtn. House. Also most empty mylar bags that are sold (prep supply retailers) are not very thick or good quality and most sealers are not very consistent or I lack experience.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-23-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typos

Serious - what the hell is wrong with a good paddock and live chickens... feed them scraps. FDM is OK and I really do recommend Propack but guys grab a pair...

learn FBC ok freezer bag cooking and dehydrator methods for bug out.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I would be happy to grab a pair...of chickens but the Home Owner's Association would frown on it and I have no desire to sell the house and buy land just to raise a pair of chickens. So Mt. House makes sense to me. I do can and dehydrate but my dehydrated stuff won't last nearly as long as Mt. House and I've found that lugging quart jars of canned food on the trail is a tad cumbersome.

how much is a tad?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Along the lines of dehydrated food, when it just comes to a two day outing I've found it very economical and delicious to just pick up a $1 bag of dehydrated flavored Rice at Walmart, and bring a hank of Summer Sausage with you. The sausage can be cut into chunks and put in the rice mixture when it's done, and it's great. Tons of calories and protein too plus cheap!
    Side note, I'm returning to the forum after a 7 year vacation, haha. But a special thanks to the guys on the forum ( Crash Rick and others) who got me into survival/ Bushcraft all those years ago. I've been passionately pursuing it ever since and am still blade smithing and selling knives regularly. Thanks for your influence and knowledge!
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

T.A.D. - The Absolute Damndest

for just back packing trips or 3-5 day hunting trips and stuff I make my own.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-recipes.html

I don't know how long they will last for long term stroage but I would imagine a good stint in a dehydrator and then a vacuum seal and you'd be good to go for a while. They work for my 3-6 day stints on hunts and camping trips. Healthier to. A heck of alot less salt.