Thread: Interesting true survival incident

Default Interesting true survival incident

Last night, Mar. 6, on ABC teevee, a show, In An Instant, was aired about a family in Alaska several years ago who were passengers in a small plane that crashed, nearly destroying the plane, a Cessna 207.

The pilot was killed on impact against a very remote mountainside, as was another female passenger. The four survivors, husband, pregnant wife, son, daughter, were all severely injured. Broken legs, broken back, broken ankles, crushed feet, severe internal and external injuries. Later the NSTB examiners at the site estimated the plane was flying at 100 MPH when it struck the mountainside. They were amazed that all were not killed on impact.

The husband, with broken back and both legs broken, managed to cut his seat belt and crawl to the back of the wrecked plane, but was unable to do much to help anyone. Finally he found the plane's SPOT locator device and triggered it. By sheer determination and will power, he managed to keep his family awake through the night. Because of the impenetrable Alaska fog which caused the crash, even though the Nat'l Guard Para-Rescue people could home in on the SPOT, it was impossible for them to fly.

Hours and hours passed before the fog lifted somewhat and finally they arrived and saved the family. The husband had been in the Army, fought in Iraq, and was possessed of that "Never give in! Never quit!" attitude. That and his love of family and faith, enabled him to pull his family and himself through the near death incident.

I think we who sometimes fly in small planes over the back country (such as I do here in Idaho), sometimes fantasize about surviving a plane crash in remote, rugged country, and then using all our carefully planned survival gear to get by until help arrives or we "walk out" to civilization. Although it is wise to have gear and knowledge, in this incident, because of the critical injuries of all on board, no amount of survival gear would have come in handy, other than the SPOT locator....... and the unquenchable will and determination of the husband.

As far as the show went, of course there was some dramatization, and because it was two hours long, there was about one hour of "show" and one hour of commercials.

What it proves is that although "gear and stuff" should be in one's survival plans, will, grit, and determination are absolutely paramount when the S REALLY HTF.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Saw the promos.....didn't watch....but got the drift.
    You are correct, It's good to have the gear, plans and options....But,

"No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”
    German military strategist Helmuth von Moltke.

http://www.lexician.com/lexblog/2010...ith-the-enemy/

Outcome depends one you and your determination.

Kudo's to the father and family.....and the whole rescue team.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have an SOP for this situation;

Stay Outta' Planes
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As I've said before, luck trumps skill every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Last night, Mar. 6, on ABC teevee, a show, In An Instant, was aired about a family in Alaska several years ago who were passengers in a small plane that crashed, nearly destroying the plane, a Cessna 207.

The pilot was killed on impact against a very remote mountainside, as was another female passenger. The four survivors, husband, pregnant wife, son, daughter, were all severely injured. Broken legs, broken back, broken ankles, crushed feet, severe internal and external injuries. Later the NSTB examiners at the site estimated the plane was flying at 100 MPH when it struck the mountainside. They were amazed that all were not killed on impact.

The husband, with broken back and both legs broken, managed to cut his seat belt and crawl to the back of the wrecked plane, but was unable to do much to help anyone. Finally he found the plane's SPOT locator device and triggered it. By sheer determination and will power, he managed to keep his family awake through the night. Because of the impenetrable Alaska fog which caused the crash, even though the Nat'l Guard Para-Rescue people could home in on the SPOT, it was impossible for them to fly.

Hours and hours passed before the fog lifted somewhat and finally they arrived and saved the family. The husband had been in the Army, fought in Iraq, and was possessed of that "Never give in! Never quit!" attitude. That and his love of family and faith, enabled him to pull his family and himself through the near death incident.

I think we who sometimes fly in small planes over the back country (such as I do here in Idaho), sometimes fantasize about surviving a plane crash in remote, rugged country, and then using all our carefully planned survival gear to get by until help arrives or we "walk out" to civilization. Although it is wise to have gear and knowledge, in this incident, because of the critical injuries of all on board, no amount of survival gear would have come in handy, other than the SPOT locator....... and the unquenchable will and determination of the husband.

As far as the show went, of course there was some dramatization, and because it was two hours long, there was about one hour of "show" and one hour of commercials.

What it proves is that although "gear and stuff" should be in one's survival plans, will, grit, and determination are absolutely paramount when the S REALLY HTF.

S.M.
    You make several really great points. "What it proves is that although "gear and stuff" should be in one's survival plans, will, grit, and determination are absolutely paramount when the S REALLY HTF"- very well said. Somebody ought to sticky this...

I have seen this story somewhere else. I just can't remember if I read about it or watched a show about it. It was quite awhile ago though.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

in this particular case I can not see much in the way of survival skill or knowledge being resourced.

These people simply did not die when the people sitting beside them did.

As Rick said, luck trumps skill on this one.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    in this particular case I can not see much in the way of survival skill or knowledge being resourced.

These people simply did not die when the people sitting beside them did. ...
    I did not post the story in order to show "survival skills utilized," although as every outdoor "survivalist" touts knives being necessary, the husband had a knife he could access in order to cut himself out of the restraining seatbelt. Without his "survival knife," the bones of all six of the people might still be scattered about that mountain side.

My point was that no matter what gear and stuff one has, in a really exigent situation, if one is not also possessed of "will, grit, and determination," the very long odds are he or she will not make it. In this Alaska incident, no amount of fine gear would have helped them. The husband was the only one who could move a bit and then soon, he could not move either. (A broken back and two broken legs do somewhat restrict one's moving about. )

Of course the husband's survival skills were utilized in his taking command of a terrible situation, doing what he could for his family given his severe injuries, and continuously rallying them to stay awake and never give up. He did not panic! If that ain't a "survival skill" I'd surely like a logical definition of "survival skills."

Batch, at the end of program the wife and family were interviewed. The "new" daughter, a result of the new pregnancy before the crash, appeared to be about 2˝ or three years old, so give or take, the crash happened about four +/- years ago.

My take on it.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

It appears to be on again....now ...on CBS
    Watching swamp people.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

But will, grit, and determination is not necessarily the result of his time in Iraq, etc. You would be amazed at the automatic "will to survive" we all possess when it comes down to it. Even a young 7 year old girl recently survived a local plane crash as she walked out to help. People in general just don't lay down to die when the situation looks hopeless.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!