Thread: First Folder Serge Inspired

Default First Folder Serge Inspired

Well in my hard to prove sanity, with one week until my biggest show of the year I decided to try and make my first folding knife. Despite some minor frustrations, I have to say it was the most rewarding and exciting project I have worked on in years. This one was heavily inspired by Serge Penchenko's relic series and I think you will notice the influence. The blade is 1084 with a "grunge" hamon and carving. The scales are textured brass and cast copper with decorative mild steel elements. I was originally going to have dual brass scales but I messed up the one and so to save time I just made a mold of the other and cast it. The spacer is diver salvaged wrought iron from Lake Superior. The blade measures in at four inches and it has a very satisfying "snap" when it comes open (I managed to create a partial friction lock on the spine for the stop bar to "lock" into). Overall I was very pleased with the end result and happy to have finally hit this milestone. All comments are welcome please let me know what you think.

Robert

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Wow, that is very unique. Very intricate as well.
    Thanks for sharing!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

While that's not my taste in knives, it does not stop me from appreciating the artistry and craftsmanship that went into it. I have to tell you, if that were my first folder I'd be proud as punch over it. I do like the different metals you used.

I am diggin' this! Using 1 copper scale and 1 brass is something I guess I have ever saw. Nice work!
    Being Prepared Is More Than A State Of Mind.
    www.survivalkitshq.blogspot.com

Junior Member Jeffery Chattanooga's Avatar

I'm with Rick as to personal taste, but can not deny the great artistry/craftsmanship!
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne