Thread: Eulogy

Default Eulogy

My father-in-law passed away Monday morning.

He is being cremated.

He has been an important figure in youth and high school baseball for 30 years and so they are having the service on his favorite baseball diamond. The organization he was the head of is putting together most of it. The Florida National Guard is going to be doing a 21 gun salute.

We have family and friends from around the country fighting these snow storms to get here.

Then tonight my mother-in-law came to me crying and asked me to do the eulogy.

The service is tomorrow at 7PM and I didn't see this coming. I get stage fright like crazy.

People that don't want to step up are telling me how to step up. LOL

I know none of his kids can do it with out crying. So, I am going to do it.

I am asking for any advice. I am going to keep it under 2 minutes if I can.

He was a good man. So, it is easy to say that.

Not any kind of expert but here goes

Short, kind and not funny. No one needs a listing of what great things he has done but what most want to hear at a funeral is how HE touched YOUR life.

One or 2 stories that show what kind of guy he was. If it were me talking about my Dad, I would have to tell everyone about how, even after I got great waitressing jobs, every time I went out on a date, he would come to the door to kiss me goodbye and would slip me a $5 (lots of money then) and say "honey, just in case".

I knew he meant "hey, I love and care about you".

My 2nd story would be how he showed me to be adventuresome by what he ordered when we ate out. We were poor so going out was a big thing. We could never 'just order' as we knew our parents didn't have much money. He would say, "I want to try too many things, I am just going to order appetizers" and then he would have us all try them- even snails. Opened my eyes to other cultures (gave me wander lust).

Ok you get the idea.

Good luck and sorry for your loss.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

First, my condolences on your loss. It comes from the heart. Solar Geek offered some good ideas.

So sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.

About 20 years ago I read the eulogy for my brother-in-law. I won't lie to you - it was tough. My advice is to get input from family and friend for what to say. They may have input for little things that you did not think of. If you have a pastor/minister/priest they can help you write it. The funeral director may be a source of help as well. If you would prefer to write it without input from others there are plenty of examples available if you Google eulogy examples.

Again, sorry for your loss.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    My father-in-law passed away Monday morning.

He is being cremated.

He has been an important figure in youth and high school baseball for 30 years and so they are having the service on his favorite baseball diamond. The organization he was the head of is putting together most of it. The Florida National Guard is going to be doing a 21 gun salute.

We have family and friends from around the country fighting these snow storms to get here.

Then tonight my mother-in-law came to me crying and asked me to do the eulogy.

The service is tomorrow at 7PM and I didn't see this coming. I get stage fright like crazy.

People that don't want to step up are telling me how to step up. LOL

I know none of his kids can do it with out crying. So, I am going to do it.

I am asking for any advice. I am going to keep it under 2 minutes if I can.

He was a good man. So, it is easy to say that.
    Sorry to hear that.

Sorry for your loss
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

My condolances.
    Recall the first time you met.
    How your impressions of him changed over the years as you got to know him better.
    I hope that helps.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

My condolences to you and your family.
    Sounds like he was a great man.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Blog Entries

I don't have any advice to offer, but you have my heartfelt sympathies, I know how important family is to you and yours.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

My condolences to you and your family.

I want to add my condolences and thoughts to the others.....
    I sure you will do fine.....inspiration comes at time like this...and thought come from the heart.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had to do the same thing for my ex-MIL under almost identical circumstances. I was fortunate that I was in a job that consisted of a lot of public speaking. Something I haven't had a problem with in adulthood. As far as humor, don't be afraid the include one or two humorous very short vignettes but don't make it a comedy show.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Thanks for the advice and condolences.

It turns out that my wife had heard wrong on the 21 gun salute. Which I thought was kind of strange. They had contacted the Army about the ceremony. And them when the Army couldn't commit. They called the National Guard and they said they would send their color guard. My wife and daughters were told by a retired Marine that it would be a 21 gun salute.

In the end the Army sent it's color guard to play taps and perform a flag ceremony. The preacher used up all the best stories we had written down before any of is could use them. So, most of the people speaking had to wing it. Pretty much everybody that spoke said they were his best friend and had lost a brother.

We went to my mother-in-laws house, packed with family and friends from all over. We stayed and visited till 4 AM. 12 people are on their way back to Indiana, Illinois and North Carolina now. I am supposed to be leaned against a pine right now waiting on a gobbler. But, like that old long beard, I am hung up on whether to stay and visit with the family that is still in town. Or, get out there with my dad and brother today and hunt tomorrow.

You'll figure out which is more important and take care of it accordingly.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Thanks for the advice and condolences.

It turns out that my wife had heard wrong on the 21 gun salute. Which I thought was kind of strange. They had contacted the Army about the ceremony. And them when the Army couldn't commit. They called the National Guard and they said they would send their color guard. My wife and daughters were told by a retired Marine that it would be a 21 gun salute.

In the end the Army sent it's color guard to play taps and perform a flag ceremony. The preacher used up all the best stories we had written down before any of is could use them. So, most of the people speaking had to wing it. Pretty much everybody that spoke said they were his best friend and had lost a brother.

We went to my mother-in-laws house, packed with family and friends from all over. We stayed and visited till 4 AM. 12 people are on their way back to Indiana, Illinois and North Carolina now. I am supposed to be leaned against a pine right now waiting on a gobbler. But, like that old long beard, I am hung up on whether to stay and visit with the family that is still in town. Or, get out there with my dad and brother today and hunt tomorrow.
    That sounds like a good send off, even if there was a bit of confusion. It's good you guys were able to spend some real time with family....that's such an important thing at a time like this.

Maybe talk to your wife, and find out what she needs of you tomorrow. She might want to be alone with her mom, in which case you could probably do with some time with your dad. But the most important thing, at a time like this, is to be there for your wife if she needs you.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Sorry for your loss.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Sorry about your loss of a loved one.

Thanks.

Here is the write up he got earlier in the week. This is the association that paid for the service also.

http://www.browardhighschoolbaseball...22015/01027611