Thread: WSJ: American Should Start Stockpiling Food

Banned

Default WSJ: American Should Start Stockpiling Food

The return on buying foods in bulk that can be stored for a long time is now exceeding the long term return on most common investments (e.g savings, accounts, CD's, bonds, stocks).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    The return on buying foods in bulk that can be stored for a long time is now exceeding the long term return on most common investments (e.g savings, accounts, CD's, bonds, stocks).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120881517227532621.html
    Yep, I agree. The rise in food costs is the result of the higher costs of production.... and that includes oil purchase and use, wages paid, global inflation and other factors associated with production, transportation etc. etc..

But isn't that what we as survivalists or survivors should be doing in the first place....without being prompted by the economy, stocking up on those types of supplies among others?

I like how you think Bragg. Although this is an 'outdoor survival' forum site in pays to keep a heads up point of view and assess situations and options and like a good marine, be resourseful.

Banned

Thanks RW. I have been preparing for the worst (economically) for over 20 years. It's a very strange feeling to see what happening around the world unfold before my eyes.

Very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    Thanks RW. I have been preparing for the worst (economically) for over 20 years. It's a very strange feeling to see what happening around the world unfold before my eyes.

Very humbling.
    Stay tuned for more news.... film at eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    I think prices are going higher.
    You think? Gosh, prices stayed exactly the same for thousands of years. Prices are going up? Now I'm worried. What a moron! I remember paying 12 cents for a loaf of bread. Of course prices are going up. They always have and always will.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    These are trends that have been in place for some time.
    Oh, good grief. About, oh, I don't know, three hundred years?

It seems Brett is a little overwhelmed by facts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Whats more interesting Rick is the fact it was "allowed" or even written on the Wall Street Journals site. It's a rarity.

One way the US Gov got people to save money. Make state coins. Change the nickle and again everyone has 3 or 4 dozen of them around. Puts more money into circulation.

Let some fool mess up and not order in time, Rice in Calf and NY. My God we have rationing and shortages in the USA. Every one run out and buy an extra $200 to $300 (Tax rebate) on food rather then paying on their credit cards.

What I read was there was rice but not the cheep rice that people(restaurants) wanted.

I think the media is a tool. And when a story blasts away. Wait 3 or 4 days for the hole story to come out.

What sounds like it would get attention:

Food rationing in NY and Calf. Shortages expected for a time.

Or Cosco and Sam's Club ran low on the cheep rice that restaurants use due to a shipping problem. Spokesman say the problem is being dealt with and should be resolved in a few days. To assure that John and Jane Doe can buy a 25lb bag of rice, they will "this week" be restricting the sale of rice to one bag per person. Restaurants seeking cheep rice to stockpile will just have to go back to their usual suppliers.

Now TP and bacon will be in short supply the start of next month. I want you all to run out and get 300 roles of TP and buy another freezer for $400 and fill it with bacon. Don't let your tax rebate go to good use. That will not help the economy. If you have not gotten your tax rebate yet. Borrow the money at 21% interest, now. Don't be cought without a years supple of TP or a few weeks supply of bacon!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don - I'm putting you in charge of maintaining a calendar of which commodities will be in short supply for any given month. Not many rules. Just use your best judgment. May will be Bacon and TP. That's a start. June will be? (I like coffee a lot, I'd prefer that in June so I can stock up on a LOT of coffee).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i like the economics of "stockpiling" food if peanut butter goes on sale for lets say 50 to 60 percent of what it usually costs me i buy lets say two years worth cuz i know the peanut butter will keep for two years cans i'll buy two to three years worth rice ,pasta lots of. i figure sometime in the next two to three years that product will come up on sale again and i'll buy lots again, so the economics is the best reason the residule benefit is that if i hit hard times at least i will be able to eat, which is one less stress on my family so then i can spend what i would otherwise put on food towards bills or fuel for work better than gic or stocks in my mind..
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Thanks Rick! I'll take the job and do my best. I mean that in the most sarcastic voice I can use.

This coming month TDW decided to stock up on TP. When I told her that we were down to 27 roles of TP and she might have to use a pine cone eventually, she came to this decision. Bacon is a look for the sales and get all you can in this house. I told her that we were down to 200 1lb packs she said she would look for the sales. Running out of Bacon is a crime in my house. As is running out of coffee.

I got a deal on Potato's again. 500 lbs for $27.00 I will be taking 300 lbs down to the flood area and planting them. I have a friend going up to Colorado this weekend and I told him I needed another 100 lbs of dry land pinto beans. I wish I could get lintels here.

I am sending out some cans to family and friends. I ran across #10 cans of freeze dried pork chops and am mailing them out this weekend. 33 to 36 boneless chops in a can and one can to each of my Bro's and Sis's and a can to select friends. I am keeping 6 cans for myself.

The local butcher called and the chicken I bought back in Jan is ready to pick up. I'll take half of that and 100 lbs of potato's to my brother in Colo Spgs in mid month. That should fill his freezer for him. When I am up there we are planning on a few days of making egg noodles. So the 100 lbs of flower has to go too. Buckets to bring mine back have to go too.

I think I'll have to take the truck. It will not all fit in the TDW's ford.

Did I tell you all that I got another freezer? It was free and it works. I'll put the rice buckets and cracked wheat in it for storage. My 12 X 14 shed is getting filled fast. I took all the survival stuff out of the pay monthly storage and putting it in the shed. This saves me some money each month.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Don I am still waiting on my pork chops, did you lose my address?
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Yes Beerunner I did! In fact I gave your can away to some guy offering me bacon. Did you ever offer me bacon?? I do not think so!

Next time I'll send Liz a can but she can not share it with you unless you offer her Bacon!

Don