Thread: Looking for nice wrought iron campfire tripod

Default Looking for nice wrought iron campfire tripod

Looking for something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/221674407946...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I wouldn't mind the price if the shipping was less.
    Someone said a civil war reenactment is the place to buy for the best price. Did not know you could do that. Never been to one.

Did you try Etsy?
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

About the same money....

http://jas-townsend.com/heavy-duty-fire-p-96.html

You would have to attend a Rendezvouses, or Civil War...re-enactment with a vender or blacksmith to do better.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's actually a very reasonable price for shipping something of that size and weight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    About the same money....

http://jas-townsend.com/heavy-duty-fire-p-96.html

You would have to attend a Rendezvouses, or Civil War...re-enactment with a vender or blacksmith to do better.
    Even then the price is going to be about the same and you will only save the shipping.

Might come to the same amount if you factor in gas to the historic site, admission to the event, eats for the family and all the crap your wife and kids will find that they suddenly can not live without. I have seldom escaped an event for less than $20 !!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

$20 bucks....Bhohahaha.....DW bought me a rifle one year for Christmas....was invited to a rendezvous, bought a hat......for $20 bucks.....

That was 30 years and maybe $20K bucks ago........Maybe a tad more as I found the spot for "The Place" coming back for an event.......

I made my own.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ighlight=rerod

You can see it at post 14

Perhaps you have a local blacksmith or farrier in your area?
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

5576-002-001-150x150.jpg

I bought this from www.crazycrow.com about 15 years ago, and it's still going strong after much use.

It's hand forged, nice and heavy and the price is right: $33. They also sell handy accessories to go with it.

(I know I am late as all getout to this thread, but it won't be a wasted trip if someone can benefit?)
    Genius is making a way out of no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyette Adams View Post
    5576-002-001-150x150.jpg

I bought this from www.crazycrow.com about 15 years ago, and it's still going strong after much use.

It's hand forged, nice and heavy and the price is right: $33. They also sell handy accessories to go with it.

(I know I am late as all getout to this thread, but it won't be a wasted trip if someone can benefit?)
    I have bought a lot of stuff for Crazy Crow over the years....great selection and pricing if very fair.

One suggestion on Tripods ....some can be used as both a tripod and a cross bar set up......

http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=822-100-000

So this one can be set up like a Tripod
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Or in a cross bar set up....

I prefer the cross bar as you can have more than one pot,...cooking pot, coffee pot, dish water or what ever over the same fire....as well as adding trivet's and other accessories.

Few irons....

I made my own from conduit. I made it with adjustable legs for different size fires and situations. Cost was about $25 and an hour of time.

Parts needed 3 - 3ft sections of 1/2in conduit, 3 - 3ft sections of 3/4in conduit, 3 I-bolts with washers and nuts, 3 pins (I used that type that holds the larger hitch pin in place, 2 S hooks, 1 - 4ft chain

At one end of each 1/2in conduit, drill a hole and mount an I-bolt with washers and nuts. Next, drill smaller holes every 6in in the 1/2in conduit for the pins (one pin per a leg) and also drill a hole at one end of each 3/4 conduit for the pins. After that, place one S hook through the I-Bolts and pinch it shut. Pinch the other S hook shut at one end of the chain.

You are now ready to go! Simply slide 1/2in pieces inside 3/4in pieces matching holes to desired height and insert a pin. Set tri-pod over cooking area. Next, place chain on tri-pod. The chain can be adjusted by which link you place on the upper S hook or by looping the chain through the cookware and placing the lower S-hook into a link high up on the chain.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

I prefer the cross bar as you can have more than one pot,...cooking pot, coffee pot, dish water or what ever over the same fire....as well as adding trivet's and other accessories.

At the time I bought the tripod, Crazy Crow also sold something similar to this as an accessory.

5576-008-001-150x150.jpg

It was shaped in such a way that it could be attached to one leg of the tripod, yet it is perfectly level enough to put a cast iron skillet on, even though the tripod was at a severe angle.

Cooking over natural coals makes everything taste so much better...YUM! (That's why commercially bottled liquid smoke sells so well.)

Ha. Natertot's invention proves "when there's a will, there's a way!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyette Adams View Post
    Ha. Natertot's invention proves "when there's a will, there's a way!"
    I had a day off work with no one around the house. My boredom coupled with a desire to tinker ends in creations, some good and some bad. The tri-pod was good. The following weekend I took a 4" pvc pipe that was 3 1/2ft in length. I capped off one end and placed a lid on the other. It now contains the whole tri-pod in a tube when it is folded up and collapsed. Easy transport and storage!

Well, darn... I tried to give you another one of those good rep things, but it told me I needed to spread it around first. (Like a jar of Nutella? lol)

A'ight then, I'll try to remember to come back and do that. But I must confess...I'm liable to haul off and forget. My brain must be coated wth Teflon, 'cause nothing sticks and everything just slides right off...

Oh, man. Don't rep him. It just encourages him to post more. He's like that crazy dog that barks at the wrong time. It's best just to let him be. Oh, hey, Nater. How's it going. (icksnay on the epra).

Yeah, rep for me is kinda pointless. Rick just comes around and takes them away like a mafia gangster. All those bars under his name? Yep. Taken like a gangsta!

At least he lets me keep my profile pic. Took me dang near a year before he quit taking that!

lololol !

(I tried to get away with just "lololol", but the notifications said my message was too short, and had to be more than 10 characters long, so I am typing all this other stuff just to get mah foot in the door.)

Yes suh, I'm learning, I'm learning!

The green bars are for protection. We collect one a week just to keep you safe, right Vinnie...uh, Crash?

Yous guys want some green bars? Lemme talk to Johnnie no thumbs for yas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel