Thread: no more politics from me

Default no more politics from me

when i first joined this fourm i did so to hopefully find some friends and i have done just that
    and would like to keep it that way.that said i will no longer post my beliefs on politics or religious
    matters.lest i be bannd for them.as for military matters i,ve never served so i havent earned the right
    to speak on those as well that said i,ll keep my post in the camping world for that i do have some experience
    being i,ve spent over 5 years living on the road so to speak.so i hope that makes it clear

Rest assured, you won't be banned for posting your beliefs as long as you are not bashing some group or attacking some member. It's often helpful, however, to have researched some things before posting. And in this day and age it's easy to do. Some folks, not pointing the finger at you, will only do so on web sites that espouse some conspiracy or another rather than researching across a broader group of sites. If I post something wrong and someone corrects me I'm grateful to them for having done so. I will take the time to research their comment and in the process I've learned something. I would hope that everyone on here feels the same way. What is very difficult is posting in a two dimension media. We don't have the advantage of hearing the other persons tone inflections or seeing their body movement so it's often hard to gauge their intentions; good, bad, informative, joking, etc.

As for me, if I've said anything that angered you, if you were angered, then I apologize. That is never my intention. I just try to correct wrong information and look for others to do the same if something I post is wrong. Beyond that, it's all discussion. Again, my opinion for what it's worth.

I've found out long ago that discussions concerning politics, religion and even economics can be inflammatory.
    Everyone has an opinion and some folks feel that any question of their opinion becomes a personal attack.
    I have served in the military however I don't care to discuss certain elements of it.
    I think you have a unique way of looking at things and your experience in dealing with life's ups and downs have value.
    I for one appreciate what you bring to the table friend!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I have never seen an opinion changed by a "discussion" or and "flaming".....so one a position is taken...the rest is just trouble.

Mikey, you are a good guy...Hang in there my friend.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You are certainly free to pick and choose which topics you post in (religious discussions are not allowed, even in the political section). We all have different experiences and have made different decisions in life to get us to the point we are at now. Those experiences and decisions shape the way we think. I believe that most here (certainly not all) are willing to hear the other side of an argument that is expressed in a lucid manner.

Having no military experience does not exclude you from having an opinion regarding the military. Heck, two of our last three Presidents had no military experience, and we made them Commander In Chief.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For me, this forum isn't about religion or politics. So, I don't post much about those two either. I do stick to what I know, and ask questions about stuff I don't. After a while, you can kinda figure out other people's specialties and then it is really interesting to ask them specific questions about stuff they know a lot about, and you want to learn about. I did serve in the military, but I didn't do anything special. There are a lot of other members here who did a lot more than I ever did.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Default World of Sound Bites

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Rest assured, you won't be banned for posting your beliefs as long as you are not bashing some group or attacking some member. It's often helpful, however, to have researched some things before posting. And in this day and age it's easy to do. Some folks, not pointing the finger at you, will only do so on web sites that espouse some conspiracy or another rather than researching across a broader group of sites. If I post something wrong and someone corrects me I'm grateful to them for having done so. I will take the time to research their comment and in the process I've learned something. I would hope that everyone on here feels the same way. What is very difficult is posting in a two dimension media. We don't have the advantage of hearing the other persons tone inflections or seeing their body movement so it's often hard to gauge their intentions; good, bad, informative, joking, etc.

As for me, if I've said anything that angered you, if you were angered, then I apologize. That is never my intention. I just try to correct wrong information and look for others to do the same if something I post is wrong. Beyond that, it's all discussion. Again, my opinion for what it's worth.
    Very well expressed Rick. Brief text remarks are difficult to interpret the full and accurate meaning of. There are some "outdoor forums" that have very long lists of rules (TOS) others that are extremely arbitrary. Some that prohibit the discussion of firearms or anything that could be used as a weapon (this strikes me as ridiculous, but its a big world, space for everyone). One camping/outdoor club that I am a member of and allegedly the FB person for (I do a terrible job of it I dislike some things about FB, got tricked into it) has one guy who is a PSC (Private Security Contractor) for Halliburton and other overseas corporations (was once in military and once full time with Halliburton). Then there is another guy who obsesses about how terrible Fracking is for the environment. So he likes to rag on the PSC about this around the campfire. Bad enough with little Text sound bites online, but this is a complex topic that could never be resolved in 30 minutes around a campfire or thousands of hours in high level meeting by advanced research scientists, so enough already. Just agree to disagree. All energy production causes damage to the environment. Wind turbines bad to raptors and wild chickens, hydroelectric bad for migrating fish, solar bad for land fills because they don't last long. Just get over it research to find what you believe is the least damaging and be happy about it.

Now let's sit around the campfire and discuss the fun we had today on the trail/river, what we are going to do tomorrow, and plan the next trip into the wilderness.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 03-06-2015 at 08:18 AM.

God Bless America

Land that I love.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

My grandpa used to say " don't discuss politics, religion, and women. No one knows who is right." It's a policy I've tried to follow , for the most part. However sometimes it is good to hear opposing opinion. It's important to remember it shouldn't be taken or dished out on a personal level.

I enjoy hearing other people's ideas. I like debate (not what most people call arguments.) I'm usually interested enough in divergent opinions that I want to know why people have them; they usually don't want to make the effort to explain, though.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you brought it up....

Three things I don't discuss because they seem to always lead to a debate...oft times a very heated one: "Religion," "politics," & "foot ball!"....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hmmm....I don't discuss football...mainly because I'm not interested in it. I also don't talk much about bookkeeping - but statistics, now, that's another matter.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Banned

That's funny! Bit of sound advice I was given by several people including by father was regardless of whether you enjoy football and golf or not learn enough about it so that you can discuss it intelligently and show a interest. This can help you make a sale, land an important contract, or get job. Today some people call this "making a conection", part of "haching the system" or psychology 101. Many names but by any name a rose is still a rose, ha ha ha butcher Shakespeare let them correct you form a connection lol.

Well around here football isn't an opinion....but a family business.
    DW/I and DD own Green Bay Packers Stock.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

TX, yer, of course, right but one of the really nice things about retirement is, you don't have to make a sale, land an important contract, or get a job. In fact, since 1994, I haven't had to do any of those things.

And the great thing is, none of the people I'm ever around now care about football or golf - but I still have to be somewhat knowledgeable about guns and cars - but there is some interest there.

Banned

Default What I learned watching my father

You make valid points WolfVanZandt, but... My father demonstrated with in his daily life since I was very small that it is important to make connections with people everywhere. He was always MUCH better at it than I ever have been. For example even if you are retired if you go to city hall for a permit for something, building repair or whatever, pulled over for rolling throughout a stop sign, taillight just burned out whatever (insert 300 things). You notice some small thing like pin on lapel or photo on desk, or football logo whatever. Your eyes light up and you say something positive. This can work to your advantage. You get the permit or a warning when perhaps the odds were against you. Can never be certain.

An example (works more effectively in olden days in 3rd world) my dad had to go to post office to get packages and also go to lunch with local Military Brass when a friend imported Semi-Auto firearms into Brazil. (he was never denied other foreigners almost always were.) But at P.Office long line to get packages many were cut open and stolen. His were secured. Even if long line lady at window called him to front of line talked to him for 10 minutes or longer about her family/his blah blah. Everyone in line just waited patiently. OMG as a child is was SOOO embarrassed but this was how it was done back then. Making connections can still work today. Once an Air Force General who considered my mother to be his long lost daughter had military cargo removed to make space for our stuff so She and us kids could fly in for free to visit my father in a remote part of the Amazon Jungle (summer school vacation). Heck connections do matter. Work or retirement, throughout life. I only wish I was not so terrible at it. Must try harder. Channel the wisdom and skill of my late father. Bless the memory of him.

Well, I try to be civil to folks for no other reason than I think it's the correct way to act. I prefer to vote in person, although in Colorado, I can do it online. I enjoy talking to he poll officers and they seem to enjoy talking back.

Connections are the most important things in life. I would rather call them "relationships". My experience is that the harder you work at forming them, though, the worse things go. You cultivate relationships like you cultivate a garden. When people "try hard" then they're probably forcing things and, chaotic processes like relationships being what they are, that generally leads to those pesky unexpected consequences.