Thread: remington or ruger

Default remington or ruger

i'm set on buying the second rifle i will have ever owned and im set on a 30.06 but im torn between the ruger american rifle or remington 700. i was all set on the remington till my service manager said the ruger was a better deal for the money. growing up my dad had a few remingtons and i have always loved shooting them but i really dont know much about the ruger. just wanted to pick a few brains on the subject. the gun will be used for hunting and i want it to be something i can hand down to my son when he is old enough. any feedback is appreciated not really looking for someone to tell me which one to buy but just your opinions of both options. thanks in advance.

I like them both....
    My favorite go-to bolt is a Ruger M77, then the back up in a Remington M700 ADL.....
    I consider both a mid to upper range rifle.
    Both are wood stocked.
    I prefer the Ruger.

Can't say much on the Ruger American....The Ruger Hawkeye is the new version the M77

Don't know if you can even get a standard rifle with a wood stock...or if you would even want one.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

the hawkeye comes with a maple stock and i have been eyeing it as opposed to the american but i did have my heart set on the remington for nostalgia sake.

Do what ya gotta do....
    At my age, my rifles are now considered "Grandpa's Magic Rifle"...LOL

I haven't seen the rugers trigger but my ruger m77 has what I call a simple trigger. I like a simple trigger with few moving parts, not much to go wrong.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

i gotta get some rounds off with em both and see how they feel

thats part of what im looking for randy

my service manager called the rugers a "crisp" trigger

Have you shouldered either one yet.
    Yeah I know this is hard to do unle4ss you know some one that has one or both.

How it feels to you and how it fits is gonna be important, trigger work and other stuff can be done later....fit starts at the store.

Used to be ...in a different life time you could try out rifles before you bought them......Oh Well.

ive shot my dads rem 30.06 and loved the feel of it. never held the ruger tho. step father in law has some connections to a local gun shop. think my next day off during the week (if i ever get one) is going to involve a trip to the shop.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am a little confused at the choices since the Ruger American is a starter level rifle and the Remington 700 is a mid-level price gun. Both being good rifles for what they are, but sort of like comparing tang to real orange juice.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

well as stated above i have had no experience with ruger at all so i had no idea that the american was a "starter" level rifle. also as stated above my service manager (who has much more firearms experience than i) recommended it as an alternative to the 700 saying that it was just as good. so other than price difference i had not much to go on as to the comparison...hence why I started this thread. said service manager is prone to speaking without thought and frequently talks out of his a**, one of those people who really is smart but has no common sense. for example stating that a clogged engine air filter will not have any effect to fuel economy on modern fuel injected vehicles. after doing my own research on the rifles i have reconsidered the m77 hawkeye in the place of the american. as of yet i'm still pretty well sold on the 700.
    Last edited by scarecrow3462; 03-05-2015 at 11:00 PM.

I have a remington 700, it's a fine rifle.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

i loved my dads 700