Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G,s,W KIT FOR B,O,B

Default G,s,W KIT FOR B,O,B

I THOUGHT I,D BRING THIS ONE UP cause we talk so much about bug out bags and such.
    and when would a bob be needed most would be a shtf type senario. so that said why not have a
    gunshot wound kit as part of your bag or chest rig.I made up a few cause i,ve a few bags. its one
    of those prep items you hope you,ll never need but thank God you have it if you do need it.
    my small basic one has
    1,4in&1,6in olaes bandage
    1,roll kerlix
    1,roll,sports tape
    1,pr,emt,shears
    1,cat,2 tournequet
    1,quikclot,sports bandage
    3,pr,blk 6,mil surgical gloves
    1.h&h compress gauze
    2,tampons
    1.28npr airway
    1,tube airway lube

this is just a basic setup i know
    but better than nothing does anyone else carry one as part of thier BOB OR not and why?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just can't let that bug out to the woods and do a Red Dawn thing go can we?

You get shot in a "SHTF situation" and you are a dead man. You have no surgery theatre, no medical staff, limited medications, no real pain killers, no evacuation capabilities and no rear area trauma centers to take anyone to.

But not to worry, the BG that shot you in the first place will probably follow your blood trail, catch up to your wounded butt and put one in your head when he takes your gear.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I do carry one in my med bag, I take it to the deer lease or when out hog hunting, cause accidents happen !! And What Kyrat said is spot on !
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I think gunshot or bleed out first aid bags are great for hunting and the range. I do carry one in the vehicle because there are idiots out that you read about every day that shoot people. But you are only trying to protect that golden hour until the victim can be delivered to a trauma center. If it's a true SHTF situation then I intend to have a priest tag along for last rights.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Just can't let that bug out to the woods and do a Red Dawn thing go can we?

You get shot in a "SHTF situation" and you are a dead man. You have no surgery theatre, no medical staff, limited medications, no real pain killers, no evacuation capabilities and no rear area trauma centers to take anyone to.

But not to worry, the BG that shot you in the first place will probably follow your blood trail, catch up to your wounded butt and put one in your head when he takes your gear.
    Yeah but one hole or two?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like two. One in the butt and one in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    I THOUGHT I,D BRING THIS ONE UP cause we talk so much about bug out bags and such.
    and when would a bob be needed most would be a shtf type senario. so that said why not have a
    gunshot wound kit as part of your bag or chest rig.I made up a few cause i,ve a few bags. its one
    of those prep items you hope you,ll never need but thank God you have it if you do need it.
    my small basic one has
    1,4in&1,6in olaes bandage
    1,roll kerlix
    1,roll,sports tape
    1,pr,emt,shears
    1,cat,2 tournequet
    1,quikclot,sports bandage
    3,pr,blk 6,mil surgical gloves
    1.h&h compress gauze
    2,tampons
    1.28npr airway
    1,tube airway lube

this is just a basic setup i know
    but better than nothing does anyone else carry one as part of thier BOB OR not and why?
    I think that a gunshot wound kit may be practical for certain SHTF scenarios, but I think that you could make it more useful if you added a few more miscellaneous things, giving you a "trauma kit". In my opinion, you are far more likely to suffer a major laceration from some sort of debris, an animal bite, or some other injury than a gunshot. Being able to treat these and gunshots may be helpful in a bug out scenario. Just my thoughts...

I'm not dissing your kit, by the way. As I indicated, there are applications for it. You might also consider an Usherman Seal or similar for sucking chest wounds. As a young man a couple of acquaintances got into an altercation over a young woman. One shot the other with a shotgun in the left chest. One of the guys present had just returned from Viet Nam. He wrapped the wound with plastic creating a three sided chest seal until the ambulance arrived. The guy survived because of that quick action and a lot of good luck.

i dont carry a real chest seal like a halo or asherman. though a freezer ziploc bag and duct tape will work as well.
    i do have a trauma kit but the post was about a differnt set up.
    and as zack said a trauma bag is a better all round kit cause it can treat many more injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Sounds like two. One in the butt and one in the head.
    For some people one to the butt will take care of both.

True dat..

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    For some people one to the butt will take care of both.
    Bhohahahaha....soooooo many jokes.....LOL

I just carry a basic FAK......not saying gunshot wounds may be an issue....my risk analysis put gunshot way down on my list of thing to "carry gear for".

I'm going with sprains, strains, cuts, abrasions, eye pokes, and reactions to plants and bugs.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That reminds me...
    On book 3 in Ken Follett's century trilogy...but book 1 & 2 deal with the first two world wars. http://www.goodreads.com/series/8739...entury-trilogy GREAT READ!
    Apparently in WWI and II, morphine was indispensable in packs because it allowed soldiers who were seriously wounded to carry on and out of immediate danger til they could get help. Pain can be a deal breaker.

It's use actually dates back to the American Civil War as well as the European Franco-Prussian War. It has been estimated there were close to 500k morphine addicts at the end of the Civil War. It was referred to as the Army Disease.

Morphine is still a staple med in the military trauma packs. When I was in it came in ampules of a dosage with the needle attached to a small bulb. 4 ampules was a lethal dose if I remember correctly. In some cases, if we had a good medic, we each had an ampule we carried in our IFAK. The medic carried enough to make an inner city drug dealer wealthy.

It's most important use is killing the immediate pain of a wound but its secondary use is keeping the troops calm and following orders. It they are hearing screams and shrieking all around them they are less effective as fighters due to the panic.

Before the days of morphine it was the duty of the immediate NCO to do triage and silence wounded soldiers that were causing panic in the ranks. Meaning shut them up in any way necessary.

I just googled the current FAK and find it is a well appointed kit compared to what we were given. All we had was a single wound dressing. We added to that what we could scrounge from the medics.

My big gripe was that the only concern seemed to be GSW when we were suffering from cuts, abrasions, burns and punctures of a minor but extremely irritating nature on a daily basis, and they did not even give us a kit with a band-aid or alcohol wipes.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-04-2015 at 12:43 PM.

I would imagine where you were those cuts and abrasion got infected pretty quickly.

the tropics are the worst where one can die a misreble death due to a uncared for cut or scratch.
    where a staph infection can happen overnite really.soap is one of the best things you can carry
    allways keep fingernails clean treat all cuts and scrapes ASAP.infection is your worst enemy.
    i carry silver gel in all my bags also pure oregano oil,emu oil for burns ect....

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    the tropics are the worst where one can die a misreble death due to a uncared for cut or scratch.
    where a staph infection can happen overnite really.soap is one of the best things you can carry
    allways keep fingernails clean treat all cuts and scrapes ASAP.infection is your worst enemy.
    i carry silver gel in all my bags also pure oregano oil,emu oil for burns ect....

Yea, right!

Soap, clean fingernails, stop and operation for treatment of cuts, oregano and emu oil ???

You have never operated in a real SHTF environment have you?

One where your clothes decomposed at the seams, leather boots rotted off your feet in 3 days, shower points were three weeks separated and people were trying to kill you?

I caught skin fungus in 1972 that was not cured until 1997 !! I think it finally died from long term exposure to civilization, because no medication would touch it.

And my problems were quite simple in the total scope of things.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-04-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's use actually dates back to the American Civil War as well as the European Franco-Prussian War. It has been estimated there were close to 500k morphine addicts at the end of the Civil War. It was referred to as the Army Disease.
    I've got a book called "The Good Old Days-They were Terrible!" somewhere on my shelf. It talks about the morphine addicts. It's kind of interesting...

I carry a blow out kit in my car and in the family car. It is separate from the other FAK. I try and keep it easily grab-able. I make sure and take it with me when I go shooting.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee