Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gorge-ous tool

Default gorge-ous tool

haven't had a chance to post for a bit but thought i would share the experience with the valentines gift my fiancee got for me. see we're not your typical sappy couple so for valentines day we decided to be different. instead of candy and flowers ext. (i still get her chocolate guys i do value my life), we get each other survival gear. about two days after valentines day she borrowed my suburban to take our 3 kids and her mother to the science center in ithaca, ny. well she didn't make it out of the driveway as she backed the truck into the 4+ foot tall snow/ ice bank at the end of the driveway. long story short ends with my rear axle hung up on 12" of solid ice. being that my truck is 2wd it wasn't going anywhere. i have to wonder if 4wd might have helped, i doubt it after seeing it stuck there. i get home from work and assess the situation. naturally i had to dig the truck out but now came the daunting task of getting my rear wheels back on the ground. i find myself with a pry bar and claw hammer chipping away at the iceberg under my truck cursing up a storm and thinking if i only had something a little bit bigger to get this ice out of here...and then it hit me. like a sack of bricks i realize the gerber gorge my darling fiancee got me for valentines day is tucked away under the passenger seat of said truck. i commence with the kicking myself in the *** phase and make quite short work of what seemed to be a never ending task and my new gerber gorge saves the day, as well as my back. very pleased with the entrenching tool as of yet and whole heartedly recommend it to all who are in the market for one. my only gripes with it is that there is no serrations on the blade (im sure we all have other tools to employ to the task of cutting through stubborn roots) and the hinge release/ lock is very difficult with gloved hands. that being said i am very happy with this little shovel and it helped alleviate some of the frustration of having to dig my truck out of the snow bank she backed it into since she did provide me with an effective means to this happy end.

Glad to hear it worked out for you......
    This it?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gerber-Go...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thats the one hunter. i forgot to mention the handle is a little stiff on the release.

You know that she could have thrown a couple of handfuls of rock salt in the "iceberg" and it would have been sitting on the driveway by the time you got home right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

we wont go there

the whole situation could have been avoided completely with the use of the side view mirrors

I think I would have gone with a Bennzomatic or a weed burner if you have one. I don't do chopping.

yea but then theres all the stuff under the truck that doesnt do well with flames.

Sheeesh. That's why you have insurance, right? And...you won't have to worry about the hunk of ice any more.

"Hello, Flo....That you?......Yeah well I bought your insurance and wouldn't you know it....funny thing happened on the way out of the drive way.......Yeah, just a little fire.....Yeah, well the fire department is just about ready to leave now......Does my coverage cover a ticket from the fire department?.....and the gear stashed in the truck......Oh yeah, and towing?.......Ok, then get back to me......"

Oh great. Now H63 has a new idea on how to get the fire department's attention.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Oh great. Now H63 has a new idea on how to get the fire department's attention.
    It's a gift........

I could be lost in the Yukon........find a power line.....burn down a power pole....they would come out, give me a ticket and leave me there.....

is that how all those wildfires get started hunter?

Haven't you read all those stories that go something like, "Hunter starts wildfire"? Yeah, that's him.

the entertainment factor on this forum alone makes it worth being a member.

Pause Thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow3462 View Post
    the entertainment factor on this forum alone makes it worth being a member.

They are still picking on me for the unfortunate incident when I set my flannel shirt sleeve on fire refilling my home made "penny stove" with HEET when I didn't notice that HEET burns almost invisible in the light......like on my work bench.

The sleeve on the other hand (get it, hand).....made quite a fire ball there for a couple of seconds....

It's OK, all healed up now, that was a while back.....but like a few thing around here....Just can't let it go......LOL

Sooo, This will even thing up a bit......This will stick in your head for a few days......Bhohahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F000UK_kUq4

Resume regularly scheduled folding shovel stuff......
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-04-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added a pause button.

well i bet that experience had you heeted didnt it hunter?

By standers would have heard new words...if they had been there....which they weren't,... with the all present phone camera....thank God.

My version is the truth.......

Stuff really burns....still have a shirt with the fuzzies singed off the sleeve.

I'll bet that those weren't the only fuzzies that burned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have been known to bring up unfortunate events on the very rare occasion. I suppose it could also be described as riding a good dog to death or driving it in the ground. Really depends on whether you were involved or just heard a passing mention of it. However, we would never embellish such stories. Truthful reporting, along with some minor poetic license, is what we're all about.

What Hunter didn't mention is the local fire department gave him his own bunker coat and helmet. Just sayin.....