Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: packing for old timers

Just a note....
    At the gym....the isa little lady (maybe 90 pounds+/-)...in her 90's ...She is just full of it...Gives everyone a bad time...
    Always tells me that I'm late....so I give her "stuff"....back....as the stationary bike I use is in front of her favorite...I tell her to hurry up.

She just says...
    "Careful....I'd kill for $5........What can they do to me?....Life sentence?....I'm 92, so it may only be 6 months."
    "Besides... I think jail would be more interesting than the nursing home...There's just old people there."

I hope to live that long and be as full of it as she is.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

wow hunter that's one cold blooded grandma.
    probly straight razor toten to boot.
    coyotes listen to them, like children of the night what music they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Lighter. Much, much lighter. I think ultra light hikers have it figured out. It depends on what I'm doing, what time of year it is and what the weather is supposed to be. Overnighters still see a one or two person tent depending on whether the wife is with me. I carry a bag if the nights are chilly but always a ground pad. Can't move in the morning without it. What I'm doing will also dictate which pack I use.
    Back when I was in my late teens and very early 20s, I laughed at people that "needed" ground pads. Now that I'm nearly 30 and I'm hosting some injuries in the lower extremities, their a good idea.

Default Lighter is much better...

An old post but as this is my second post here, I will add that I have sold all my " big" packs and my biggest is now a 30L and my day pack,for short hikes, is an E&E pack. All my stainless cooking stuff has been sold ,traded, or given away in favor of titanium. My back and hips thank me every time I strap one of those much lighter packs on.

Regards,

ezra

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ezra45 View Post
    An old post but as this is my second post here, I will add that I have sold all my " big" packs and my biggest is now a 30L and my day pack,for short hikes, is an E&E pack. All my stainless cooking stuff has been sold ,traded, or given away in favor of titanium. My back and hips thank me every time I strap one of those much lighter packs on.

Regards,

ezra
    I’m with you on the 30L... I’ve also shortened the hiking/pack mule distance by fat tire bike, Honda ATVs, canoes and a Piper Supercub if need be. I do still have a large pack frame w/shelf for hauling moose, caribou, Dall sheep or salmon back to the road or trail. No more giant packs for me...

A good camping equipment for old timers are ******************* They make camping more convenient for seniors.

Oopsy ---- just another spammer out of the Philippines pretending to be Canadian. The give away was that he didn't say eh.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-18-2019 at 06:44 AM.

He should have used the logon jackleg or jack...nah, I won't say it.

OMG! I might need newbie survival training for Wally world dang...

My favorite of all time has been a 1970's era hitch hikers pack. The frame has bent over the years just fitting small of my back, and retro fit handmade shoulder straps have it so I can routinely carry 45-50# ( I got it at age 54 and can still manage up to 40# at age 63, ( my own weight being 112# usually)

I could manage that pack on a sturdy small size Mtn bike.
    The heaviest thing I carried was a little coffee pot, but I know I could make do for all cooking with a tin cup
    Last edited by HillGirl; 12-14-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Wrong date! Lol