Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: packing for old timers

Default packing for old timers

now that most are not as spry as we once were we still have that spirt of the wilderness
    in us .and with old age comes comforts and a vehicle to haul it all,lol
    what im saying is with old age comes wisdom hopefully.lol as we age we need to scale down
    that pack for the long haul. i did put a small molle pack on the dog it fit great on her funny thing
    she did,nt want to go anywhere with it though.anyhow i feel i need a sixday pack for three days.
    you know the comforts of old age and all.i keep a camp out back fully stocked so i can still get the camping
    experience. though i sill go to the county park were you bring yer own TP and water though they do have a outhouse.we go there some times just to get off the place and cookout and relax.so how do you pack your oldtimers pack. this is for those over 50 btw.

Lighter. Much, much lighter. I think ultra light hikers have it figured out. It depends on what I'm doing, what time of year it is and what the weather is supposed to be. Overnighters still see a one or two person tent depending on whether the wife is with me. I carry a bag if the nights are chilly but always a ground pad. Can't move in the morning without it. What I'm doing will also dictate which pack I use.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    now that most are not as spry as we once were we still have that spirt of the wilderness
    in us .and with old age comes comforts and a vehicle to haul it all,lol
    what im saying is with old age comes wisdom hopefully.lol as we age we need to scale down
    that pack for the long haul. i did put a small molle pack on the dog it fit great on her funny thing
    she did,nt want to go anywhere with it though.anyhow i feel i need a sixday pack for three days.
    you know the comforts of old age and all.i keep a camp out back fully stocked so i can still get the camping
    experience. though i sill go to the county park were you bring yer own TP and water though they do have a outhouse.we go there some times just to get off the place and cookout and relax.so how do you pack your oldtimers pack. this is for those over 50 btw.
    I'm not over 50, so I can't help you with your packing issue, but I can say that I had the same issue with my dog and his pack. I don't know how hard you tried to get her to try the pack, but I know that my dog just stood still the first time we put it on him. Then we coaxed him around the house with a piece of jerky, then eventually around the neighborhood. Now we do light hiking with him while he wears his pack. I don't know if this helps or not...

that,s funny you mentioned jerky that,s what i did too,lol
    as for me i was just wondering how others pack thier bags i have mine done
    varies due to season and all of course and thank GOD i have enough packs to choose from.

Lighter for the most part, but have taken up canoe camping where you can carry all of the luxuries that you desire......so much easier than back packing.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

For solo trips I had been using a 1 or 2 person tent or hammock. Just picked up a bivy sack to try out.

Last edited by crashdive123; 02-28-2015 at 01:34 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ford F 250 Crew cab and 6' X12' cargo trailer.......
    Works fine.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

(chuckle) Now all we have to do is expand the definition of hiking. Oh, sure. I hiked 150 miles yesterday. Got 23 MPG, doncha know.

Hiking is what you do after you have unloaded the pick-up, truck, and set up camp....to check out the trails...Then a nap.
    Actually when I move the truck to a parking lot...I am transported back to 1830's or so...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    that,s funny you mentioned jerky that,s what i did too,lol
    as for me i was just wondering how others pack thier bags i have mine done
    varies due to season and all of course and thank GOD i have enough packs to choose from.
    Sorry I couldn't help.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Over 50 and hiking???

That's the difference between going to see the elephant and having already seen the elephant.

I have already been to most of the places the young whipper-snappers want to hike too, and found out there was a road going to the same place and an 80 year old guy with a walker had driven his Winnebago up to the parking lot on the other side of the hill.

First of the month I drove 200 miles to buy a pair of orthopedic hiking boots and the doctor informed me that it was a good thing the AT was already marked off the bucket list.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-28-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Now that right there is funny. My wife and I were hiking in Idaho last fall and working these really nasty switch backs. I don't remember the elevation but it was up there a ways. About half way up I turned to my wife and said, "If there's a parking lot at the top of this mountain I am going to be sooooo" ..... well, you get the idea.

Heck, I use the "Geezer Bench" at Walmart....after I checked out the lack of .22's.
    DW goes shopping.

Hey, there's still the automotive section, tool section, garden section. So many sections and so little time.

Pssssst Rick....Interweb.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey, there's still the automotive section, tool section, garden section. So many sections and so little time.
    They need to put a geezer bench in there next to the magazine rack don't you think?
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    They need to put a geezer bench in there next to the magazine rack don't you think?
    That would be good......at least a few National Enquire papers to check on the Celebs......LOL

gotta have a coffee stand that,s a given

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Problem with Wally-world is its soooo big!

By the time you get your coffee and get back to the magazine rack the coffee is cold and then after some reading and coffee the rest room is all the way up front again.

A guy could walk himself to death.

And those tile floors are a killer. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Heck, I use the "Geezer Bench" at Walmart....after I checked out the lack of .22's.
    DW goes shopping.
    I understand. I know people who do that too. As for .22's, I feel the same way you do...

I thought I had it all figured out. My wife could shop and I'd have a place to sit at that blood pressure thingy in the pharmacy. Of course I stuck my arm through the hole just so I'd look like I belonged there. Turns out the blood pressure thingy was actually a woman's lap and the hole was her purse. I'll take my glasses next time. In all honesty, I thought that chair was a little lumpy.