Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I broke my hammer now what can I make out of it ???

Can't tell by the grain. The grain is decidedly on the large size though. I would think Estwing's heat treatment would be top notch.

In general, I doubt it was made by any process other than drop/impression-die forging.
    Last edited by canid; 02-25-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I agree with Canid, probably started as a cast hunk that was pressure forged into a die and heat treated. And the Estwing processing is second to none.

That will be good steel and you doing more forging on it will only improve the structure, as long as you do not burn it in the forge.

As for the makeshift forge; first, try to find the proper tip for the torch. It should work, even if not perfect, if you use a few fire bricks to enclose the flame and restrict the heat.

If that will not work the BBQ grill used with hair dryer and pipe will work if that is all you have. I would also suggest that you get hold of some coal and coke it out rather than trying to use bag charcoal in the forge.

Charcoal will work, and did for centuries, but coal is better and the welding torch is best.

That hammer head is a big chunk of metal to flatten without a proper anvil. If you use the RR track then do set it in a good chunk of concrete.

What is left of the claws will make a nice spike on the back of that hawk.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What is left of the claws will make a nice spike on the back of that hawk.
    ...or, square it to hammer tent spikes & drive nails.