Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's your favorite military surplus gear?

Oddly enough, my favorite piece of military gear is 1/2 of a US issue M1858 canteen. These were the oblate spheroid canteens, and the soldiers would melt the seams and the spouts off. Think of a mini sheet iron wok. I have cooked in it, eaten out of it, washed up with it, used it as a soup bowl, plate, frying pan, pot, pot cover, drinking vessel, and have even dug a fire pit with it. Its one of my most versatile pieces of kit and it always goes with me when in the woods.
    ~Nighthawk~
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 07-25-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Oddly enough, my favorite piece of military gear is 1/2 of a US issue M1858 canteen. These were the oblate spheroid canteens, and the soldiers would melt the seams and the spouts off. Think of a mini sheet iron wok. I have cooked in it, eaten out of it, washed up with it, used it as a soup bowl, plate, frying pan, pot, pot cover, drinking vessel, and have even dug a fire pit with it. Its one of my most versatile pieces of kit and it always goes with me when in the woods.
    ~Nighthawk~
    I'm thinking you could do the same things with one of the regular USGI mess kits (you know, the stainless steel ones with frying pan bottom and the plate/bowls on top). On a recent camping trip to Gettysburg, PA, my family and I did almost all of our meals in the Dutch oven. Unfortunately, I was able to bring all of my nonsensical gadgets, but I forgot the entrenching tool I normally use to scoop the coals on top of the oven. So I pressed the frying pan into service and it saved our enchilada casserole! But if your canteen half works just as well, good for you!

Not sure why you'd do that. Even the reproductions are expensive. The mess kit is still dirt cheap.

I thought i had posted here before but went back and didnt see any so... I like those fingerless wool glove inserts i must have 4 or 5 pairs,sadly the surplus store i got them at is now closed,been looking for a new supplier for awhile now
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Not sure why you'd do that. Even the reproductions are expensive. The mess kit is still dirt cheap.
    I picked mine up at the surplus store for $5.00! I looked online and it seemed that they're going for $10-$15, which I don't think is too bad...

The canteen half cost me all of $8.00. It's light weight, one piece, and slides easily into my gear bag.
    ~Nighthawk~

For an 1858?! Okay, if you say so. A real one will run you several hundred dollars and a bad repro on eBay will run about $30.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...1858%20canteen

I've been in the hobby for over 35 years and know where to find 100% correctly made reproductions(correct materials, method, and construction)When I started out a friend told me,"it's better to know what makes an item correct than to know who makes a correct item." One just has to know what to look for. Bottom line, there's nothing wrong with the USGI mess kit, but I've been using this thing for years, it's light, I like it, it works, and I'm rather comfortable with it. I don't feel I really need anything else.
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 07-25-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Don't know, but have one made by Remington Armory.....?
    don't know either but have heard remington has slipped a bit lately. So if you want I can take care of that rifle for ya. lol
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I am misguided here - I still enjoy a military issue lensatic with extra phosphor compass. Some are still commanding $200.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I wasn't challenging your use of it. If it works for you that's great. I was just surprised because they are so costly. If you have an inexpensive source that's great too.

No offense taken at all! I'm just a big believer in multi use gear, and this was just something I already had that carried over into my modern day B.O.B. After years of hardcore authentic Confederate historical interpretation I came away with an appreciation of how little one needs to actually live. It also taught me an appreciation of utilizing my pockets as opposed to bags and pouches for smaller items.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    It also taught me an appreciation of utilizing my pockets as opposed to bags and pouches for smaller items.
    There is a lot of truth to that! I grew up wearing jeans mostly and still find those the most comfortable (or natural, maybe) but have found myself lately wearing more and more cargo style pants because of the additional pockets. At one of my jobs I have to wear scrubs and started wearing Carhartt scrub pants that have a million pockets and belt loops to keep the pants up.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Since I need stuff for storage recently, and found a military foot locker. Good piece of gear. It's hardy and takes a beating.

I vote poncho liner -
    I still use one all the time. They are easy to keep around in a vehicle. Light, they dry quick, work as a stadium blanket to sit on or cover with when it gets chilly. I have always kept some around.

I forgot, I also like the surplus wooden ammo boxes. I bought a few of them from a friend that was downsizing. They are great for stacking in storage areas. I use them in my workshop to store tools, because I haven't put my cabinets up yet. After that, I'm probably going to use them to store things in my attic.

The duffel bags are great. I used one in college to bring all of my dirt laundry home on breaks and weekends for my mom to do.

Ka-Bars are always good knives, and technically they can be classified as military surplus. When I was 18, I saved up money to purchase a full sized Ka-Bar for all of my general purpose hunting needs. It has lasted me a number of years, and has taken on a wide variety of uses. I have used it in hunting, fishing boating, camping, farming, crafts, and cutting line. All in all, Ka-Bar makes one of the best knives on the market.