Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite military surplus gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    More for us I guess.
    shussssssh
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wow! Weren't you taking a chance they could open your can? (I slay myself). [/COLOR]
    R U here all week?

I think I switched because the P-51 I found would throw a spark off of a ferro rod. Where none of the P-38 would. I had originally kept the p-38 in my wallet , because sometimes we got trapped on jobsites with no place to eat around. So, we could just grab a can of raviolis from under the seat and eat that.

Well, if surplus weapons are allowed i'd like to switch my answer....
    http://www.exarmyvehicles.com/offer/...le-tank-t-72-m
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

Oooh. sorry. Violates ATF rules. No crew mounted weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Military Style Belt with 3-Bar Slide Buckle and Nylon webbing strap is a item I use at least 3 days a week.
    I totally forgot my belt. Yeah, ever since I was issue a standard BDU belt, I have worn one every day. I have worn through 2 cotton belts and am on my first nylon one. The buckle is what I really like. It isn't the shiny slide type that you see with dress pants. It is the black one.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Of course, my buckle isn't black anymore. Just brass. I wear it to church, with jeans, basically any pair of pants. Of course, I don't conceal carry, so I might have to give up my beloved belt for a more stiff one when I start CCWing.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    I like to walk around the local military supply store and look for other interesting items but have never seen any ammo there. But I don't sit around in my backyard plinking cans much and don't consider that wilderness survival, but to each their own. Have fun. Surplus ammo from Russia and China is mostly junk in my experience. My local gun shop will NOT sell it, they would never risk their reputation on it.
    I buy Tulammo from Russia all the time. My opinion is that if your rifle/handgun can't shoot crap ammo, what's the point of having it? Well, if the rifle/handgun is a safe queen, then I see why you would only want the best for your princess. Or maybe a long range precision rifle that only eats precision hand loads. But, I like to have a rifle/handgun that eats anything I put in it. And, I might as well buy a bunch of Russian crap ammo at bargain prices. A Russian bullets shoots a lot better than no bullet.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    .........................I buy Tulammo from Russia all the time. My opinion is that if your rifle/handgun can't shoot crap ammo, what's the point of having it? Well, if the rifle/handgun is a safe queen, then I see why you would only want the best for your princess. Or maybe a long range precision rifle that only eats precision hand loads. But, I like to have a rifle/handgun that eats anything I put in it. And, I might as well buy a bunch of Russian crap ammo at bargain prices. A Russian bullets shoots a lot better than no bullet.
    I agree.....like the picky .22's....
    My (fill in your high buck whatever here) only likes El_Super Tricko Gofaster Premium ammo.

Now its, "Whatcha got that goes bang?.....El-Cheapo?.....Fine, give me all you got>"

El_Super Tricko Gofaster Premium ammo. Well, no wonder. It's made in Mexico. That El prefix was a dead give away.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I buy Tulammo from Russia all the time. My opinion is that if your rifle/handgun can't shoot crap ammo, what's the point of having it? Well, if the rifle/handgun is a safe queen, then I see why you would only want the best for your princess. Or maybe a long range precision rifle that only eats precision hand loads. But, I like to have a rifle/handgun that eats anything I put in it. And, I might as well buy a bunch of Russian crap ammo at bargain prices. A Russian bullets shoots a lot better than no bullet.
    It's not whether it can or not...it's about screwing up your barrel with the copper washed bi metal bullet.. My understanding is something cheaper like a Glock barrel in the long run will save you money. Something like a SCAR 17 barrel it will cost you money.
    Last edited by wilderness medic; 02-27-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm with Hunter and Rick on the ammo selection.

You can send me all the trash Wolf and Tula you want to be rid of. I can get 2" groups out of the .223 @100 all day long and the 7.62x39 goes into 1 1/2" @ 100 even out of my AK.

I can even get 1 1/2" groups out of the Russian "spam can" ammo from a beat up old M/N.

Wolf/SK .22lr is some of the best on the market, or it was before the "shortage" and now the ban.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Go to the range. Clean my weapon. Buy more Silver Bear. Go the range. Clean my weapon. Buy more Silver Bear. It's a vicious cycle.

Well, sometimes ya gotta open that spam can every 440 rounds or so......

Oh sure. Then it's go to the range, pee down the barrel, by more spam cans.

I'm partial to my 30-40 krag but dang it's hard to find surplus ammo for it these days and when you do it's full patch.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

some of my favorites would be lurp rations, my mss sleeping bags,molle packs,ECWCS thermal clothing
    like that.the old lurp chili concarne gosh i miss that od vacseal foil pouch anyone remember that?

Banned

Default nothing wrong with cheap ammo in a cheap firearm

Like all your outdoor gear there is a purpose for everything, every grade of gear. A relatively cheap firearm with very cheap ammo is fine I should not knock that. But those few who spend a lot of $ on a high end firearm for whatever reason usually do not want to risk damaging the rifling on the inside of the barrel. This just would not make sense.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. In grade school my friends and I purchased these crude homemade front end loaders for about $5 - 10 made with pipes that clearly had seams in them. One kid next door thew firecrackers down his to simulate firing it. Then in Jr. High when he realized we were actually shooting ours with black powder and buck shot he asked me to help him clean out all the paper. It took us hours. Much to my amazement now, none to those poor quality muzzleloaders ever exploded on us. One kid attempted to fire a pistol make out of brass, but held it around the corner of a brick wall, it did explode in his hands. As far as I know we all still have all our fingers and eyes. LOL Such childish foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    some of my favorites would be lurp rations, my mss sleeping bags,molle packs,ECWCS thermal clothing
    like that.the old lurp chili concarne gosh i miss that od vacseal foil pouch anyone remember that?
    He'll it's only been 5 or 6 years since since I was eating those. Remember it? Barely. Lol.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

oh yeah and those accessory C&D packs that came in the brown pouch mres wish i had some of those.
    and the freeze dry friuts oh my melt in your mouth, i used to scrounge over by scohfield barracks east training range for mres
    and over by the north shore at kahuku training range a great place to camp out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    oh yeah and those accessory C&D packs that came in the brown pouch mres wish i had some of those.
    and the freeze dry friuts oh my melt in your mouth, i used to scrounge over by scohfield barracks east training range for mres
    and over by the north shore at kahuku training range a great place to camp out as well.
    I was the odd one who enjoyed MREs. But nothing comes close to a good LRP. Can't remember the other ones we had...extended something or another...came in a lasagna tray like package but was sealed...meant for feeding several people...or one hungry grunt...
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

would a mosin nagant made by westinghouse be considered U.S. surplus? I had a bannerman 30-06 conversion and picked up a westinghouse barrel from numrich. Had planned on converting it back to 7.62r but alas I forgot I had the barrel and in a moment of bad judgement traded the rifle off.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    would a mosin nagant made by westinghouse be considered U.S. surplus? I had a bannerman 30-06 conversion and picked up a westinghouse barrel from numrich. Had planned on converting it back to 7.62r but alas I forgot I had the barrel and in a moment of bad judgement traded the rifle off.
    Don't know, but have one made by Remington Armory.....?