Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite military surplus gear?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    OK we leave the MNs in. Everybody has two of them anyway so they should count for something. They are probably the most common form of surplus hardware inside the US right now.

Quit poking me with that bayonet, that thing hurts!
    That wasn't his bayonet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oooh. Braggin' rights.

I'm not surprised Rick gave a weird answer. I wonder, though, are cammie hongs government issue now?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I think I am going to make two lists, stuff I like and stuff I don't.

Stuff I like:
    Like canid, the p38 can opener. I actually had never used one until maybe 6 months ago. I was at work, my walmart can opener broke....again....and I was forced to dig into the edc pack and pull out a p38. What happened after was pure magic. It is easier, and just as fast, as fancy store bought can openers. My mom probably can't use one, due to extreme arthritis, but a normal handed person should do fine. It is definitely faster and easier than any Gerber, Leatherman or even the venerable Victorinox can openers. Where have you been all my life? No matter, we have each other now.

I love the BDU pant. The new cut is just as good. I find myself buying the LA police gear pants because they have the same cut, similar material, but I can wear them around town and at work without wearing camo. Of course, I have 2 duffle bags full of brand new pants that will eventually get worn, as long as they don't keep shrinking. When I go camping...BDU pants. Work on the car...BDU pants. Who ever designed them was a genius.

The MOLLE pack is pretty impressive. Of course, it is also HEAVY. The straps are versatile. I can put them on other external frame packs. I have a couple extra sets of straps and loan them out to Boy Scouts when they show up with grandpas pack with rotted out or ancient straps. Grandpas' pack is now instantly comfortable.

The old M65 liner jackets. They are light and cheap and add a lot of warmth. The same goes for the poncho liner. I think they have similar materials. The poncho and newer ECWCS gortex stuff is pretty good stuff as well.

Nomex flight gloves paired with fingertip less wool liners. You put the wool liners OVER the flight gloves. And then pair those with a set of extreme cold weather mitts. When you don't need dexterity, put everything in the mitts. But when you need to use your fingers, simply take them out of the mitts, and they are still covered for quick dexterity requirements.

MSS. I have two sets for my two boys. My daughters use them sometimes as well. Very versatile. Can be used for winter, spring, summer and fall. It would be nice if the summer one was a little warmer though.

Stuff I don't like:
    ALICE pack. I have a lot of negatives for this thing.......I won't dwell on them.

Shelter half.....

Black boots....Mostly I don't like the soles. The leather is really nice though.

BCGs.....do these count as surplus? Why would anyone want these for surplus?

Old grey PT shorts... most comfortable daisy dukes you will ever wear, until the elastic waist wears out.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Weird?! I'm....I'm crushed. Heartbroken as it were. He asked for military surplus. Is a Mosin not military surplus? Now...if I had said a used Piddle Pack. That, sir, would have been weird.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Does that make my M77 military surplus?

Or any item manufactured for the surplus market legit?

Much of what we are speaking has been remanufactured for the surplus market and never saw government approval or issue.

"Tactical gear" is not necessarily surplus gear.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

How much ya wanna bet my Mosin's saw action? Shoot, I'll bet the ammo pouches were even issued. At least they smell like it.

Mosin for sure. Kyrat said since everyone has two of them. I guess I am an overachiever by far!

I do like can openers, both the small and large. I also enjoy the mess kits, the canteen cup, canteen, Alice packs, and Molle gear. I also have a few foreign duffle bags, the big sea bags, long underwear from Swiss, and wool blankets from some unknown foreign country that have been great as well. I even have a US sleeping bag that has served me well.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

OK then, if we are considering the M/N a surplus item then I rank the ammo that goes into it, at twenty three cents a shot, my all time favorite surplus commodity!!!

That is almost as cheap as the p38 can openers I just bought at seventeen cents a pop.

In fact, if you hit the can with a round of 7.62x54 you don't need the can opener!

Anyone else notice that most of us long term members have duplicate and interchangeable surplus equipment; M/N rifles, canteen w/cup, sleeping gear, alice/molly gear, boots and such ???

Is that due to the gear or just an indication that we all suffer from the same malady?

Age and/or location seems to have nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-25-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Surplus ammo is in. Surplus.... ammo....get it? Sort of like illegal alien. Self explanatory.

If you can hit the can with 7.62 that's sort of like Hunter's can of cherries in the fire. You probably won't get one lessen you pick it off the ground.

What do you mean "IF I can hit the can"?

Now you've gone and hurt my feelings!

Your words, not mine. I have every confidence that the can is dead from incredible distances. Sort of a done deal. However, you said "if" so I reluctantly went along with you.

I carried a P38 in my wallet for decades. Then I threw in a P51.

My opinion between the 2 is just that the p51 is bigger and the hinge also gets looser quicker. But, both work great.

I switched to my Leatherman Supertool's can opener for convenience. I am damned near as quick with either of these as the folks with the conventional can opener. And I got them whooped hands down if you take in to searching for can opener time. LOL

But, I'll say p-38 is probably my favorite surplus tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Your words, not mine. I have every confidence that the can is dead from incredible distances. Sort of a done deal. However, you said "if" so I reluctantly went along with you.
    I was getting pretty sure I was going to have to go out in the snow and open a can of Beanie-Winnies just to save my reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Batch
    I carried a P38 in my wallet for decades. Then I threw in a P51.

Wow! Weren't you taking a chance they could open your can? (I slay myself).

Well, throwing cab in the fire work with all cans not just cherries.....it's just kinda chancy and you have to pick the food off the branches, or your self.
    Not recommended if you actually what to "use" in the contents.....it's just an attention getter.

As far a 7.62 X54r jacketed ammo, may just perf through and leak out.....but may be not....?
    Will have to wait for result of the beanie winnie's test.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default 3-Bar Belt Buckle, Military Style Quick Dry Belt. Most used item 4 me.

Military Style Belt with 3-Bar Slide Buckle and Nylon webbing strap is a item I use at least 3 days a week. With blue jeans, canvas pants and quick dry nylon or polypropylene long plants or bermuda shorts for paddle-sports (canoe/kayak/raft/paddleboard/SUP). My daughters are embarrassed by me and call them seat belts, but if they spent much time in the wilderness and realized how multipurpose these are they would understand.

Mostly I buy them for about $5 each at a local Army/Navy Store where there is typically a large selection of colors and lengths. But online stores also have many for reasonable prices, I just avoid the fancy buckles and cotton material. Here is a place I have ordered other webbing straps from (to secure stuff to a trailer, pickup, roof of vehicle) that happens to have a great selection of these belts in colors both webbing and buckles, price is still under $10 and better selection of materials. (Avoid Cotton, it is rotten!) 2" is good unless your belt loops are small like for some women's pants, REI and some other outdoor stores have more attractive brands for the style conscious people, but my daughters still snub their nose at the whole idea. When they are standing on a paddle board on a lake with their pants falling down and knife/blade falling off they may think differently some day. (also holds your emergency first aid and fire starter kit etc.)

http://www.strapworks.com/Double_3_B...elts_s/154.htm

I like to walk around the local military supply store and look for other interesting items but have never seen any ammo there. But I don't sit around in my backyard plinking cans much and don't consider that wilderness survival, but to each their own. Have fun. Surplus ammo from Russia and China is mostly junk in my experience. My local gun shop will NOT sell it, they would never risk their reputation on it.

I use the quick dry suspenders. Mostly for the hong.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    . ..............
    I like to walk around the local military supply store and look for other interesting items but have never seen any ammo there. But I don't sit around in my backyard plinking cans much and don't consider that wilderness survival, but to each their own. Have fun. Surplus ammo from Russia and China is mostly junk in my experience. My local gun shop will NOT sell it, they would never risk their reputation on it.

Yeah, That's the ticket.....all junk....not worth looking at or shooting by any self respecting rifleman........Noted.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

More for us I guess.