Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite military surplus gear?

Ammo boxes,Grenade Pouches,Medical Pouches,heck I consider any of the surplus stuff of some use or another...

Quote Originally Posted by richbat View Post
    Ammo boxes,Grenade Pouches,Medical Pouches,heck I consider any of the surplus stuff of some use or another...
    I like ammo boxes as well. I have a little PSK in a grenade pouch, it's small enough to hook onto a hunting or fishing pack and not be bulky, but give me some survival items at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I like ammo boxes as well. I have a little PSK in a grenade pouch, it's small enough to hook onto a hunting or fishing pack and not be bulky, but give me some survival items at the same time.
    Be better on your belt...in case you don't have your pack with you....Just sayin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Be better on your belt...in case you don't have your pack with you....Just sayin'
    That's probably true. But if I'm sitting in a duck blind for hours on end, a pouch on my belt gets a little annoying if it's in the right place. But that's just me. But when I go out I always have a couple survival items in my pockets though...

Novice Fisher and Trapper

I like ammo boxes for the storage. I have one for ammo. I plan on getting another good old metal one for a survival kit. I also like the military canteen with the stainless steel cup.
    Check me out on youtube. Thanks, Billy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6W...5VS5ByvYV9cv3g

Nothing wrong with mosins, I didn't mention them because I can't legally own one yet, only being 16. Another great thing is the old tuna cans of ammo, cheap but effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditionalist View Post
    Nothing wrong with mosins, I didn't mention them because I can't legally own one yet, only being 16. Another great thing is the old tuna cans of ammo, cheap but effective.
    Tuna cans of ammo?........

One thing is for certain. It won't matter if they are packed in water or oil the ammo won't be any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    One thing is for certain. It won't matter if they are packed in water or oil the ammo won't be any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Tuna cans of ammo?........
    Lol, I should have said spam can. Here's a link. 640 rounds for $159.00
    http://www.bulkammo.com/640-round-se...tula-122gr-fmj

Yeah, we know....have been thru a "few" in the last few years.......LOL
    Just giving you a bad time.

Now about the "cheap but effective" part....effective for what?.....most all the spam cans are FMJ milsurp....although some has been Tula, and Wolf fairly new production....but still FMJ...so effective for punching paper, metal gongs and big bore version of "plinking".....Smoke, fire and recoil.....

Guess you just need to clarify what you find it effective for.......

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

My Mickey Mouse boots. I even girlied them up a bit though it didn't last.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

My MSS (modular sleep system) since I live in the north east it can get pretty cool up here and i can use that bag year around. Also big fan of the canteen/cup/pot/carrier combo.
    My Website www.survivaltips.co
    FB: www.facebook.com/survivaltipsblog
    Twitter: @SurvivalTipBlog

Hi. Ive also just bought a MMSS which is sure to be a favourite come winter!
    The BCB Crusader system as used by the British Army is also my goto brew and cook kit when travelling solo!

The whole bag comes in at over 9 lbs. That's a bit heavy for me. That said, if it works for you that's all that matters. I do like the BCB Crusader set. I don't own one but it looks like it would work very well.

So far I have bought 2 MSS systems. Both for my 2 boys. They have been perfect. The green bag is light weight and they bring that for summer backpacking. The whole system is heavy, and we use that in winter, but it is lighter than a lot of similar temp rating bags. My daughter just got back from a girl's summer camp and I had her bring the black bag and the gortex bivy. Last year at this same time of year and same camp, they got snowed out and only my daughter was prepared for the snow. The year before that, I made her take the "army" sleeping bag and she threw a big fit about it...."all my friends will make fun of me"...etc. In order for me to maintain my status as a mean dad, I made her take it anyways. When she came back, I asked her how camp was..."I was the only one warm at night". Maybe dad knows something after all.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    ........................... My daughter just got back from a girl's summer camp and I had her bring the black bag and the gortex bivy. Last year at this same time of year and same camp, they got snowed out and only my daughter was prepared for the snow. The year before that, I made her take the "army" sleeping bag and she threw a big fit about it...."all my friends will make fun of me"...etc. In order for me to maintain my status as a mean dad, I made her take it anyways. When she came back, I asked her how camp was..."I was the only one warm at night". Maybe dad knows something after all.
    Take a while...but well done....
    As MF use to say..."Experience is the best teacher"

Yep. The older I got the smarter dad got. Kind of amazing how that works.

Even though I was Army, my favorite piece of milsurp gear is the MARPAT tarp issued by the Marines because of its versatility.

Blog Entries

Cool Correction:

I've had some time to think about this and would have to say that my favorite Item is the USMC Force Recon Survival kit. It was made for certain units of the Marines and consists of very good quality items. The water bag, for example, is top-notch and beats a condom any day of the week! I've bought several individual components as well and placed them in other kits. for more info on these check it out here:

http://www.donrearic.com/usmcskit.html

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm not sure you can still purchase them. If you know of a vendor I'd be interested.