Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Natural Bushcraft Shelters

No. RX is up in GA I think. I'm not sure where Enigma is. I'ld guess down under.

Just so it's clear. I'm in Ocala FL. Try and invade my space. I dare ya.

Invite only. This is a smiley for the folks who know who you are.

I got an NC camp too boys!!!
    Last edited by madmax; 03-26-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    No. RX is up in GA I think. I'm not sure where Enigma is. I'ld guess down under.
    Yes, I'm in northeast Georgia. Enigma is from Australia.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Hey, pm me for a camp this summer. Got boats and SUP's ready. Be there 3 months.

This debris hut shelter took me about 10 hours to make over 2 days to complete. I slept in it on the first night partially completed and it was no fun because of the mosquito problem without a door. On the second day, I completed the shelter with a door and I was able to get some good rest. The third night, it rained and was 50 degrees fahrenheit. I stayed dry and warm and noticed a big temperature change once I got out of the debris hut shelter. The biggest challenge is time and labor required to gather the dried leaves to stack on top of the frame. I was allowed to use a tarp and a rake to collect leaves. I can't imagine how much longer it would have taken me without these 2 items. Maybe 30 hours!!? I have no experience with building any other natural shelters.

debris_shelter.jpg
    me_at_entrance_of_debris_shelter.jpg
    I do web development. https://tamstradingpost.com

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Madmax, where would you recommend as good land to do some primitive camping in ocala? I grew up on the edge of the santa fe swamp, and my parents currently live in ocala.

I would like to go camping with my father when I go on leave. How is the ocala national forest? Or, more specifically, do the authorities down there care if you cut saplings/ make shelters, etc? The fish and wildlife officers around the Santa fe swamp pretty much told me I could do whatever I want as long as I didn't leave trash behind. I used to sell them exotic animals, so maybe they were turning a blind eye? I found a red eastern coach whip snake(kinda rare) for one of them, so maybe that had something to do with it...

No cutting live trees. Private land only.

My suggestion is to do "dispersed" camping in the forest. You could hit one of the established campgrounds, but one of our members had a finger shake at him from a park person when picking up twigs to get his fire started. Really.

Every place around water is watched.

I'll pm you some directions to little used little checked places if you want. They aren't especially memorable, but you won't likely get any visitors. If you know what I mean.

Madmax, yeah, we have 9 out of the top 10, of the most deadly and venomous snakes on the planet. Admittedly number one in the world, is the inland Taipan, which you wont ever see unless you go into the middle of the desert (not sure which state). The one you need to worry about is the Eastern Brown Snake, which is number 3 or 4 from memory. They are everywhere, I hate them. Then again we also have Tigers, and Taipans, Death Adders and Copperheads, and Mulga's so really, you just go out watching where you walk, all of the time.

We see Red Bellied Blacks at our Survival School all the time, but they will only hospitalise you.

We also have funnel web spiders everywhere (deadly), especially on southern facing cool slopes, so you never dig holes or picks up rocks with bare hands. The males start a wandering at night though, in search of females. I had one walk up to within 30cm of my bare foot, late one night, when all us instructors were having some down time, away from the students, only 2 courses ago. Lucky I had my head torch on, and spotted him out the corner of my eye.

But at least we don't have bloody great big bears wandering around like you guys do. That would scare the beejesus out of me!!! :-)

Woods bears don't bother me at all. Give them a little respect and space they just want to go find something more to eat and not be bothered. City bears are used to humans and dangerous. They've been found in trees at school bus stops. These are black bears down here. I'ld get too much flack when speaking about grizzlies. Whole 'nother animal. I am not a fan. And have history with them.

I am in favor of the new bear season in FL. We need it. Wildlife Management is finally managing the problem... sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    We also have funnel web spiders everywhere (deadly), especially on southern facing cool slopes, so you never dig holes or picks up rocks with bare hands. The males start a wandering at night though, in search of females. I had one walk up to within 30cm of my bare foot, late one night, when all us instructors were having some down time, away from the students, only 2 courses ago. Lucky I had my head torch on, and spotted him out the corner of my eye.

But at least we don't have bloody great big bears wandering around like you guys do. That would scare the beejesus out of me!!! :-)
    I'm more afraid of spiders than I am of snakes or bears for that matter...I wouldn't fare well "down under" I feel. Most of my time there would be spent running around screaming like a school girl!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

My Brother is pretty bad that way too. He's a bad arachnaphobe. He champions Hennessey Hammocks to anyone who will listen to him. :-) He should be a sales rep for them!

I'm not too worried about spiders. Ants are worse when making up your sleeping arrangements on the ground. We have 'stinging' ants, that sting like wasps and cause anaphylactoc shock. No one ever knows if they are allergic, until they get stung. And unlike bees, the more you get stung, the worse the reaction will be.

One of the varieties we get are called "Jack Jumpers", because they actually jump towards you to have a go at you, if you stir up their nest. ( I actually got stung on one finger today whilst marking a nest with a triangle of sticks at our school today, They 'jump' up sticks and also your legs too, they are real little bastards !)

The jack jumper ant (Myrmecia pilosula), commonly known as the hopper ant, jumper ant or jumping jack, is a species of venomous ant native to Australia. Most commonly found in Tasmania and southeast Australia, it is a member of the genus Myrmecia and was formally described and named by Frederick Smith in 1858. Ants of this species are known for their ability to jump several inches. They are large ants; workers and males are around the same size: 12 to 14 millimetres (0.47 to 0.55 in) for workers, and 11 to 12 millimetres (0.43 to 0.47 in) for males. The queen, measuring 14 to 16 millimetres (0.55 to 0.63 in) in length, has a similar appearance to a worker, while males are identifiable by their perceptibly smaller mandibles.
    The ants are primarily active during the day and live in open habitats. They nest in bushland, woodland and open forests, surrounded by gravel and sandy soil, which can be found in rural areas and less commonly in urban areas. They prey on small insects and use their barbless stinger, killing the insect with injected venom. Other ants and predatory invertebrates prey on the jack jumper. The average worker has a life expectancy of over one year. Workers are gamergates, allowing them to reproduce with drones, whether or not a queen is present in the colony. The ant is a part of the Myrmecia pilosula species complex; this ant and other members of the complex are known to have a single pair of chromosomes.
    Its sting generally only causes a mild local reaction. However, it is one of the few ant species that can be dangerous to humans, along with other ants in the genus Myrmecia. The ant venom is particularly immunogenic for an insect venom; the venom causes about 90% of Australian ant allergies. In endemic areas, up to 3% of the human population has developed an allergy to the venom and about half of these allergic people can suffer from anaphylactic reactions (increase of heart rate, falling blood pressure, and many other symptoms), which can lead to death on rare occasions. Between 1980 and 2000, there were four deaths due to anaphylaxis from jack jumper stings, all of which were in Tasmania.
    Last edited by Enigma; 03-28-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Woods bears don't bother me at all. Give them a little respect and space they just want to go find something more to eat and not be bothered. City bears are used to humans and dangerous. They've been found in trees at school bus stops. These are black bears down here. I'ld get too much flack when speaking about grizzlies. Whole 'nother animal. I am not a fan. And have history with them.

I am in favor of the new bear season in FL. We need it. Wildlife Management is finally managing the problem... sorta.
    I bet that's gonna a be a hard quota to get though.

I'm not even trying.

They will thin them out. It's just they thin the woods bears and not the ones who are really a danger.

politics.