Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edc kits/gear

Default edc kits/gear

hello all. new to this forum so i decided to introduce myself as well as my edc gear. im sure there is already a thread of this nature but hell kits get updated and new ones made, lets see and maybe pick up new ideas for our own gear. pics encouraged.

this is the gear on me at all times.
    image.jpg

my suspension with bit kit and ferro rod wrapped in some cloth for tinder
    image.jpg

edc tool kit
    image.jpg

my edc survival kit minimalism and dependability oriented
    image.jpg

thanks for viewing and great to be part of this group.

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is a intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    What are the tools for?
    Nice kit.

Do you really carry that everyday, every where?
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-21-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

thank you. tool kit is for general repairs. as i am a mechanic i generally feel more comfortable having some tools on me if i have a choice...basic as this kit may be. and yes for the most part every day every where.

When I go outdoors, I carry a pretty simple set of gear in my pockets. I have a Gerber multitool, bundle of jute twine (8' or so), and a pen in my right pocket. In my left I carry 4-5 chunks of fatwood, a ferro rod, and sometimes a Mini-Maglite. I may add or subtract from this depending on where I'm going, but it is usually the same. If I'm in an area where it's legal, I'll probably carry a large fixed blade on my belt, in addition to the multitool.

I always carry a 7-11 disposable poncho, simple first aid kit, a knife, a ferro rod, some cotton balls saturated in PJ and a strip of aquatab.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

if i am going in the woods or camping one of my fixed blades finds its way into my edc. the kit i carry edc contains ferro rod, matches (in a repurposed lighter casing wrapped in orange duct tape), cardboard (tinder), sewing kit (repurposed mechanical pencil lead refill tube), wire (cordage/fire starting aid), basic first aid kit, fishing kit (wrapped in an ample amout of aluminum foil), magnet, paper/wire twist ties, heavy duty plastic garbage bag, bandana, maglite solitare led and leatherman micra. all fits in a pouch and in my back pocket. all together the kit is no larger than your average wallet.
    Last edited by scarecrow3462; 02-22-2015 at 10:10 AM.

That all some nice hardware. Like how you've repurposed other items to work for you. Something I've done as well. As my kits are very similar I have to say your tool Kit is far better than mine. My edc tool kit consist of a screwdriver with multiple bits and a leather man multi tool. Looks like I need to upgrade. Thanks for posting

repurposing is part of how i got started making kits. once i got started tho it quickly became an addiction. since i have yet to find my self in a true survival situation i haven't fully tested my gear but everything i carry has been tested and used to weed out the useless stuff that i had thought was a good addition but just wound up taking up more space. all the things i edc also serve multiple purposes such as the pen i carry is also a flashlight. so far everything i edc has given me a lot of confidence knowing that it is there whenever i may need it.

image.jpg
    And can't ever leave without my insurance in the truck. Mississippi has very relaxed gun laws. Open carry of any firearm less than class 3 is legal. I have my concealed carry and my Glock 21 goes everywhere I do.

It's important to note that each person should build a kit for their purposes and will be different for different areas and habits.

Personally I get bit by the "one more thing-ites".....kits get too big,....so I start over.
    Currently the EDC is just a SAK belt pouch with Mini Multi Tool w/LED flashlight, ferro rod/striker mini BIC and cotton balls in the bottom.

Most all other kits are in coats, bags and vehicles.

i agree whole heartedly hunter. the woods are a whole different ball game than the desert. about the only thing you can count on needing anywhere you may find yourself is fire and a blade of some sort.

FYI

Have posted many times....but this rides on my belt always.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Cheapo multi tool has led flashlight.....cotton balls packed in bottom of pouch.

Does have a P38 can opener, now, that will spark the ferro rod....so I could take out the striker
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-04-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow3462 View Post
    if i am going in the woods or camping one of my fixed blades finds its way into my edc. the kit i carry edc contains ferro rod, matches (in a repurposed lighter casing wrapped in orange duct tape), cardboard (tinder), sewing kit (repurposed mechanical pencil lead refill tube), wire (cordage/fire starting aid), basic first aid kit, fishing kit (wrapped in an ample amout of aluminum foil), magnet, paper/wire twist ties, heavy duty plastic garbage bag, bandana, maglite solitare led and leatherman micra. all fits in a pouch and in my back pocket. all together the kit is no larger than your average wallet.
    If I'm going "hardcore", I like to carry a Polish military surplus magazine pouch with the following:

1. Buck Smidgen (if it's legal to carry a fixed blade, if not, it's a Swiss Army Knife)
    2. 6' or so of jute twine
    3. A 6' length of Coleman "utility line" (knock-off paracord, but it's good for non-load-bearing lashings and other light-duty work)
    4. A 6' length of paracord
    5. A 3-pack of Bic "minis"
    6. A few pieces of cheap sisal twine (good bird's nest material)
    7. Two pieces of fatwood
    8. A P38 can opener
    9. A Mylar blanket
    10. A sardine can survival kit (look them up on Amazon, they're a little larger than an Altoids tin, and watertight, plus it is pretty cool!)

This kit is good for me to keep on my belt when I go camping. I may leave a larger pack in my tent if I go out for a few minutes, and this gives me a decent set of gear if I get lost. If I go out on a kayak or canoe, I will most likely take this pouch, that way I have something if a capsize occurs.

the one thing i need to incorporate into my edc is some real cordage. my go bag and other survival pack has plenty but i dont have any for edc other than my boot laces. i have been considering paracord for my boot lace replacement. although since i am really never far from my truck (where i keep my real survival kit) on a daily basis i dont have to worry about it that much right now.

One more thing, one more thing, one more thing........LOL.....The quest continues......

I have been meaning to try this and this thread reminded me.

I can wrap 10' of para-cord or 15' of bank line around my belt before it hits the first belt loop when I put it on.

This is the 15' of bank line on my belt.

I noticed that the bank line slides under the belt loop of my cargo pants easily enough. And, since I don't carry anything on my belt until after my second belt loop. I should be able to put about 30' of bank line on the belt and another 10' of para-cord on top of that.

or you could make a paracord belt. even incorporate a kit or something else into it like they do with the bracelets. ive been giving that some heavy thought myself.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow3462 View Post
    or you could make a paracord belt. even incorporate a kit or something else into it like they do with the bracelets. ive been giving that some heavy thought myself.
    No one is ever going to take a para-cord belt apart. I will unwind some line that is just wrapped around my belt though.

I ended up puttin the 30' of bank line and the 10' of para-cord around it. So, far no worries. I'll see how it does over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    No one is ever going to take a para-cord belt apart. I will unwind some line that is just wrapped around my belt though.
    Or a rifle sling or even a bracelet.....LOL

Like your wind it around you belt idea......
    If it's not practical no one is gonna do it or use it.

Got a cool bracelet I never wear..... in the truck....right next to the 100 ft. coil of paracord.

while i do agree batch (and the belt wrap is certainly a more practical idea), its just a matter of if your life depends on it and its there you dont have to worry about it.