Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: edc kits/gear

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow3462 View Post
    or you could make a paracord belt. even incorporate a kit or something else into it like they do with the bracelets. ive been giving that some heavy thought myself.
    I dis. I made my own paracord belt with 100 feet of pc. I also have a pc wristband with 17 feet. Best belt I ever put on.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

i do apologize if my slight sarcasm went unnoticed. my paracord belt idea was intended as a joke. if your life truely did depend on having that paracord well then you sure as hell don't have the time to unwind the damn thing to save your life.

Its not about when your life depending on it. I look at it as when and should you finished the pc in your stock/.bag, and suddenly you need more. When I move around in the bush, I wear a pair of craghoppers pants which do not need a belt. so the pc belt is just to supplement when you need some extra paracord, in the contsruction of a raft, shelter or any tying up to do.
    Now, when would I need some rope in a situation where my life depends on it? Going down a cliff, swept down a river, need to make a spear hastily? I do not think that would be the scenario as if one is always ready (I fit my spear head the moment I walk into a forest, depending on the area..if I need to...), but my duku chandung parang is always on my hips and my 9mm is on the other side..
    Actually, if you haevn't tried, pc belts are very very comfortable. The PC bracelets have a whistle , and will be the first cordage that I will use in case I finished using what I bring.
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Sort of depends on the situation as to how much time you have. If you are lost and need to built shelter with cold hands then it might be okay. If you've just fallen off a mountain and hope to lasso a rock on the way down...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow3462 View Post
    i do apologize if my slight sarcasm went unnoticed. my paracord belt idea was intended as a joke. if your life truely did depend on having that paracord well then you sure as hell don't have the time to unwind the damn thing to save your life.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...=paracord+belt

Well, you unwind you belt, scale down the cliff....the re-do you belt and continue on................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

image.jpg

This is usually my everyday carry kit. Few bandages, antibacterial gel, three alcohol wipes, small jig saw blade, small Swiss Army knife, small pocket knife, razor blade, tweezers, mini BIC, fishing kit, half dozen waterproof matches with striker.
    Last edited by xjosh40x; 02-23-2015 at 12:56 PM.

i just meant there are much more practical ways to carry cordage. don't get me wrong, as a back up to a back up i think its a good idea. i always preach about redundancy when it comes to survival prep. what I was considering is in a situation where you need a shelter now with a storm imminent and the time it takes to unravel the belt means the difference between staying getting soaked or staying dry. now as entertaining and Gryllsish as it would be to see someone lasso a boulder in a free fall down a cliff face that was not what i had in mind rick. i have found your posts to be about the most entertaining here.

nice kit josh. i love your idea for the fishing line. i may have to try that myself. till now i've been wrapping it around a piece of cardboard with a keeper notch cut in each end.

I use a 5/16 bolt and nut. It wraps nice and won't fall apart like a paper roll would. And never know when you need a bolt weather it be bolting something together or knocking you buddy on the head with for him to find his senses.

thats some logic i could live with josh.

Use a sewing bobbin - takes up less room.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

+1 on the bobbin. You can get them a Walmart in the sewing section. If I remember correctly they come in a 3 pack.

In my hiking and bug out bags I use empty Teflon tap rolls to make my fishing kits. Can get a lot of line with tackle on them. Also works well to spool about 10-15 feet or 550 cord.

all good ideas

There is also another method, the chain sinnet which makes unraveling of the cord faster. I always believe bring extra cordage is better. You might have 100 feet in your bag, lose the bag or use up all the cord, you still have another 90 feet plus on the belt. Take your time to unwind or unravel the belt, use about 10 feet (2pc) as a belt and u have extra cordage. Use an ordinary belt, not much help or use except as an anchor. Its totally up to you, as I always believe, there is never to less to bring.
    Last edited by Tokwan; 02-23-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    There is also another method, the chain sinnet which makes unraveling of the cord faster. I always believe bring extra cordage is better. You might have 100 feet in your bag, lose the bag or use up all the cord, you still have another 90 feet plus on the belt. Take your time to unwind or unravel the belt, use about 10 feet (2pc) as a belt and u have extra cordage. Use an ordinary belt, not much help or use except as an anchor. Its totally up to you, as I always believe, there is never to less to bring.
    You wore the belt to keep up your pants while supporting your parang and 9mm.Is string going to comfortable do the same job?

In an emergency situation, the pants can go! Remember, we have Hongs as backup.

On a more serious note..I never carry my parang in the sheath, as I always hold them. where I am..u always need them in your hand. Clearing and cutting most of the time. And if you are used to craghoppers, they do not ever seem to be in need of a belt.
    The paracord can be made to hold the knife and other things of almost what you need and remember that we always carry a small backpack, unless the back pack is lost, so would the 100 feet of paracord and other items in the back pack. Then the belt and the bracelet comes in handy..remember, the belt and bracelet is only for usage when you have lost everything and in a real survival situation.
    In Malaysia, if you chased by an elephant or a king cobra, the first thing to do is to lose the pack..when you do this, you have nothing except what is on your body...if you do not lose the pack, you will not be able to escape as the bags will be snagged to tree branches etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan
    we have Hongs as backup

A true survivor if ever I met one.

So with the explanation I have given above, most people here have survival kits such as cordage, firemaking kit, first aid, knife, fishing kit on their body, usuallly in the pockets of their cargo pants or on their hips. Parang is always held in the hand.
    Elephants are the most dangerous threat. The tiger does not come close to it.
    In the primary jungle, the virgin forest, the Sumatran Rhino comes second to the elephant as they charge and stomp over the fire you make.
    Where I am, if an animal attacks you, the chances of you losing your supplies in the back pack is high.
    Keeping some stuffs on your body at all times is the best.