Thread: Labrador

Default Labrador

I just finished the book "The Lure of The Ladrador" amazing. I am always amazed at what the human body will endure, no doubt they were three tough dudes. I think people were generally tougher back then, not many of us do the physical day to day labour people had to do to survive in those days.Anyone else read it or do you know of any similar books?

Sounds like a good one, thanks for the heads up.
    This the guy?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Wallace
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

H63, it doesn't cost anything on Kindle. Loaded in about 10 seconds

Thanks......I'll look into it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

sounds like a good book.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I've read it, good read. I am reading a book by
    Peter Schmidt Mikkelsen. Called "One Thousand Days with Sirius. The Greenland Sledge Patrol" now...It's about the experiences of the Danish military dog sled patrol in Greenland. It isn't a survival saga- it's more of a prepper manual on how to avoid survival situations. But it deals with similar themes as the Labrador book
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Maybe I should write a very short story about my Labrador experience. It was the middle of the night when we landed at Goose Bay, Labrador to refuel. About a dozen paratroopers returning from almost four months in the desert outside Cairo (not Illinois). We were wearing our desert chocolate chip fatigues and were very acclimatized to the desert heat. It was in late October 1982 and the snow had fallen at Goose Bay and it was well below zero. We had to deplane for the refueling. When the ramp of the aircraft dropped when met the icy blast, we all stiffened up and could hardly walk. We made it to the pax terminal by walking through a snow tunnel! That was enough of Labrador for me. But, I wish we could have seen the countryside, as I 'm short it is beautiful.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Hey, it's available free on Kobo as well. Sweet!

With regard to similar books, are you looking for fact or fiction, and how similar does it have to be to the lure of the labrador wild? Because I can recommend a lot of books about the north, and living or travelling in the wild, but most of them aren't survival sagas.

I enjoy true stories about adventure, not necessarily survivial. I am reading "Pilgrams Wilderness" now. A book about a family that settled in Mcarthy Alaska

great book I read it a very long time ago , these men endured a lot in the unforgiving Labrador wild in extreme temperatures.
    these men planned there trip across the Labrador , but even with there planning they were not prepared , that's one of the big things that always
    stuck with me from the story be prepared for anything.
    ' The Lure of the Labrador Wild"

I would like to hear some of your suggestions on similar books , I would prefer true stories if you could suggest a few, I would love to read them. thanks.

here's a few, not quite the same though. Trapline outlaw, a book about Simon Gunanoot. Decent into madness, a book about a very bad case of cabin fever. Rat river trapper, another book about a bad case of cabin fever. Land of fur and gold, a book about the boom times of the fur trade during the 1920s. Enchanted Vagabonds, takes place in the south, gulf of mexico.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?