Thread: Mars One Rejects or 100 finalists?

Banned

Default Mars One Rejects or 100 finalists?

Which are the most entertaining the "Mars One" Rejects or the 100 Finalists?

And which list are you on?

http://www.mars-one.com

Several funny articles on the Rejects, here is one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...l-mission.html

See if you can find me on one of these websites in some obscure video…
    What to do when your spouse divorces you… LOL

IMO this IS the ultimate wilderness survival!
    One way trip to the Red Planet. OMG!!!

Is there a Psych Evaluation for this trip? Is Eddie Ray Routh going?

One the first forums I was ever on was one for Mother Earth News, back in like 2005, maybe earlier.

On guy came on and asked about what to grow to feed like 300 people on mars.
    And actually was some good discussion on amount of light needed, and how much got there from the sun, and so forth.

Seems this guy was getting together a one way group of settlers.....and making plans and taking applications.

Of course the was some "tomfoolery"(no...tell me noooo), about, .....can't make it as the X wing is in the shop, and what to do on Saturday....but most was some pretty serious idea on logistics and such.

Guy had a web site, with a lot of activity.......then suddenly...was GONE...
    We all figured he really did it......

When I see Mars in the shy....I wave.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Make some $ and disappear

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Guy had a web site, with a lot of activity.......then suddenly...was GONE...
    We all figured he really did it......
    This "Mars One" group will probably finally "do it", raise a bunch of money and disappear. LOL

I'm not sure but perhaps they were concerned when in my video i told them I needed to escape to Mars because flying Pig-Human hybrids were about to take over the Earth. ha ha ha

Personally I'm not sure what is more concerning, these crack pots wasting Government and investors money on this or a bunch of loosely screened crack pots sent to live in a cramped space for years until a natural or unnatural death. Perhaps I am being overly skeptical. But if it smells like a scam it might be.

Once I interviewed with a "dot com" start up in high tech. The VP and cofounder flat out told me they had no intention of going public with an IPO. Their goal was to sell their "ideas" to a large corporation who would buy them, hold out with product development until they were fully vested then sell their corporate stocks, then start another Inc. That is exactly what he did. He also asked me what my greatest passion in life was, his was buying Corvettes and restoring them. That is where he spent much of the millions of $ he made off his "business" plan. Hey its a free market economy whatever works. I don't judge, but I watch my "6".
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-20-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typos

Banned

Default A few minor obstacles

Mars One folks had an interesting response to the high levels of radiation on the surface of Mars where they have proposed the settlers would grow their food:

“The Mars One habitat will be covered by several meters of soil, which provides reliable shielding even against galactic cosmic rays. Five meters of soil provides the same protection as the Earth’s atmosphere– equivalent to 1,000 g/cm2 of shielding.”
    Hmmm, living in a can buried under frozen dirt. It’s beginning to sound like a punishment cell in a Siberian gulag.

http://frontiermultimedia.com/mars-o...aud-on-reddit/

A team of scientist from MIT evaluated their science and concluded:

"First, our habitation simulations revealed that crop growth, if large enough to provide 100% of the settlement’s food, will produce unsafe oxygen levels in the habitat. As a result, some form of oxygen removal system is required – a technology that has not yet been developed for spaceflight."

http://web.mit.edu/sydneydo/Public/M...is%20IAC14.pdf

So if growing food in a can 5 meters under frozen dust in air you cannot breath sounds like an great wilderness adventure send in an audition video perhaps one of the finalists will need to drop out and there will be a slot for you. Last I heard they had raised over $500,000 and may only need $6 billion. NASA would need about $40-$100B because they think returning the folks to Earth is a requirement, such a waste of $, silly government. What in the heck does NASA know about space?

I've always been an avid supporter of space exploration. I'm really pleased to see private companies coming on board and the great success they've had. The ISS is doing some incredible science that simply can't be done here on earth. So much of what we use today was developed as a part of the space program. The dollars spent have been more than reinvested in the private sector. I would love to hang around long enough to see mankind land on Mars. I don't think the world was ever more united than when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. What we accomplished in the eight years between Kennedy's challenge and the lunar landing was just phenomenal.

Banned

There are many excellent space exploration companies and organizations today both public and private all over the world. I just suspect that this particular one is fraudulent but time will tell. I could be wrong about that.