Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor Question

that engine is way too small for that vehicle IMHO, a vehicle that size I would guess would need about 250 lbft of torque to perform .

Motor mounts would have to be fabricated/welded. Getting the motor bolted to the Jeep drivetrain could be a nightmare. Would be underpowered but if your not looking to drive on the highway, could be enough torque to run the Jeep. None of the original electrical system would work with the VW engine but could be modified. Sounds like a lot of work when no one can say if the VW engine will have enough power/torque to run the Jeep.I would try to find a bigger engine, another Jeep engine would bolt right in and ya know you would have enough power

I'm surprised that no one has come up with a YouTube "How to Do it".
    Seems those are the new "Manual"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I didn't think the 3 cylinder would be enough. He just likes the manufacturer of fuel. Good idea but like what had been mentioned....everyone knows about it now. I went and looked at it yesterday after work. Body is in great shape. Has top rack with lights, interior is great. I have a 4.0 inline 6 in my jeep and has more power than I've ever needed. I mentioned that but he wants a 8 cylinder. Well went on Craigslist and found an old Dakota for sell and had a good V8. All for 600. I still think he needs to do more searching for a 4.0 or a 8 cylinder from a Grand Cherokee. That way it's certain everything will line up correctly.

Buy a guy a new truck, and he will drive it...to hunt and fish and camp and go to dinner.

Bay a guy a couple of junks and a torch and he will mess with it forever......while his ex-wife goes to dinner.....
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Buy a guy a new truck, and he will drive it...to hunt and fish and camp and go to dinner.

Bay a guy a couple of junks and a torch and he will mess with it forever......while his ex-wife goes to dinner.....
    Just saying.
    That's true. We both make an excellent income. Don't know why he doesn't buy a good running jeep. He can buy a good used one easily

You can tell when a Redneck is well to do...the trucks on blocks in his yard are later model and better shape than I drive......

"Sometimes you just gotta do it"

i have seen a vw diesel swap into a wrangler before but i took a lot of fab work and i cant recall which motor it was. in the end im sure it would be better off finding a Chrysler diesel motor from say a mid 2000's jeep liberty to swap into it. pretty sure they were mainly gov't issue so i dont know how hard to find they may be. i myself have never seen one here in ny and i have worked auto repair for the better part of 15 years. i do however know they exist somewhere out there.

2005-2006 jeep liberty limited. 2.8l 4cyl diesel.

The thought of manufacturing your own fuel sounds like a smart move but the work and money going into this project seems more troublesome. My jeep doesn't use much gas and I have a 5 gallon Jerry can mounted on the back just in case. I think he just wants to be "that" guy with the cooler jeep.

Main advantage of diesel is availability of scrounge-able fuel, if you are into the EOTWAWKI scenarios.
    Farm, industrial, municipal, school busses, any heavy equipment, as well as heating fuel........all possible sources
    Diesel seems to store better than gasoline as well.

A worthly concept, but I not so sure as far a cost saving being a major factor.

hey you could alway modify any older engine to run on burning wood.

or propane.

Wood gas is possible.....many articles on it...saw the set up at The Mother Earth News Eco-Village in NC back in the 80's...
    PITA to get up and running in short order for a over the road vehicle....best suited to a stationary power plant/genset.
    Charge up your batteries for you electric car...

Methane has been used as well.......Think "Thunder Dome" pig farm....storage and processing sort of a hassle.

Propane, although has to be purchased, and be stored a long time....and the conversions are pretty reasonable.

Getting away from the Op of converting a car to cooking oil......but all are possible and need attention to research and detail to work.

When I say "work" I mean, jumping in the truck and going for beer and chips.....

I actually though about converting my jeep to propane. I get it free from my job. We build bobtails and large storage tanks for chemicals and fuels. Propane being just one of the fuels. But all our work trucks are propane powered and I'll tell you my opinion, the power of your vehicle will go down. It's honestly better for your engine because propane burns 100% so carbon buildup is minimal. But your MPG and power will be reduced in most occasions. I drive a 2012 silverado that's converted to propane (special order from GM) and if I'm on the highway and come to a incline I about have to put it to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    I actually though about converting my jeep to propane. I get it free from my job. We build bobtails and large storage tanks for chemicals and fuels. Propane being just one of the fuels. But all our work trucks are propane powered and I'll tell you my opinion, the power of your vehicle will go down. It's honestly better for your engine because propane burns 100% so carbon buildup is minimal. But your MPG and power will be reduced in most occasions. I drive a 2012 silverado that's converted to propane (special order from GM) and if I'm on the highway and come to a incline I about have to put it to the floor.
    Now you are getting picky......LOL....
    Of course everything else will suffer.....you will be driving a "project" instead of an appliance, and we do treat out vehicles to be appliances.
    Leave them sit in all weather, spotty service.....and get pizzed when you head out late for work and they don't start.

I try to keep my projects separatee from may appliances

If your buddy just have to have a diesel tell him to start looking at old Mercedese diesel sedans, now those engines will pull good for your application!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    If your buddy just have to have a diesel tell him to start looking at old Mercedese diesel sedans, now those engines will pull good for your application!
    .........and run forever......