Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Question

Default Motor Question

I'm not that knowledgable with motors. A buddy of mine is wanting to make a good deer camp vehicle. He bought a 99 Cherrokee for 600$. No engine. Body is in good shape. He has a 03 volswagon 3 cylinder diesel. We have been wondering if that motor could go in the Cherrokee. He said he would love to have it run on diesel since he knows how to produce his own from cooking grease. Is it possible to make the motor fit and run properly?

Short answer is most any motor will fit in any vehicle.....just a matter of time and money.

Question is,...How much do you have to spend?..... and how much experience does he have in fabrication.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

+1 Hunter

I was taught growing up that if you have a cut torch and welder, there is nothing you can't make.

If I was in your shoes, I would consider an enclosed atv though. Just my opinion.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    +1 Hunter

I was taught growing up that if you have a cut torch and welder, there is nothing you can't make.

If I was in your shoes, I would consider an enclosed atv though. Just my opinion.
    Enclosed ATV cost about as much as a jeep, and sort of looks like it.

Years ago, friend had a Datsun diesel pick up.......always wanted that motor, but the little truck was just caving in under it from rust.
    Mine was a Toyota truck with the gas motor, and want to swap them out.....just never did.

I like your idea, though.

I can fab about anything and so can he. We are both darn good at a torch and welder. The motor he has runs well and has good power. We are wondering if the 4X4 will still work. A guy told us the transmission and drivetrain will work together but that guy doesn't seem to be that smart. I just trust y'all more than him

Can't say with out looking at it.

Used to be motor swapping hand books.....but dealt with old cars....

Put a V-8 in to a '54 Chevy .....had to deal with voltage change.......12 v vs 6 volt.

But didn't have to deal with all the electronics, or smog gear.....

So you might get it to run....but may have a problem with licensing.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

The VW engine is probably a FWD unit.

The Jeep is either a 4wd or rear wheel drive.

WAAAY too much complication to that swap.

Almost any 3-4-6 cylinder diesel engine from an American outfit should fit in the Cherokee using an adapter plate to match up the trans/transfer case to the engine. I think Jeep might have offered a diesel version of their 4 banger engine.

Having a Cherokee, I can not imagine trying to work through the woods dragging that truck with a 3 cylinder VW engine. I have driven the 2.4 and you have to force it to pull.

I also had a 2.8 liter GM V6 in an 84 Cherokee. It was also an underpowered slug to drive. It would climb trees in 4wL, but drove you crazy on the road.

From 1994-2001 Jeep offered a 4 cyl, 2.5 turbo diesel. There should be some still on the salvage market.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)

There is probably a big difference between the torque curve on a VW highway car and what would work best for off road use too.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-16-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Well I also thought that the small motor will lack the horses. I told him he should shop for a 318 from an old dodge. The VW he said is rwd. I didn't know the new ones came like that. I think it's out of a VW SUV not a bug. So possibly. He was just tellin me about it. I haven't looked at it. He just wants a diesel. But I kinda think he is being unrealistic about it. Finding a small diesel within good price will be tough. People don't just give away a good diesel motor.

I looks like the VW diesel is a RWD conventional looking diesel.....

My 32 HP turbo diesel on my tractor is used as a diesel should...constant RPM.....the gear box is the key.

Personally, I do no see an up side to this conversion...and question why anyone would pay that much for a junk body.

Transfer case on a Cherokee can cost that much!

Cherokees are one of those items that will sell for $200 scrap value but the same junker can be parted out for $3k-$5k

Last winter I put $1,000 into my '97 Cherokee, which is almost 1/3 of the book value, but the model is no longer made and no one makes anything equal to it. This one gets rebuilt for as long as parts are available.

Even though it sits in the parking spot a lot because the Escape drives better, I really appreciate its capabilities.

That was especially true this afternoon when I decided to explore in our fresh 12" snowfall. That old Cherokee never slipped or slid, it just dug in and went. That and if I did not have it I would never be able to get my trailer or boat up the hill and out of the yard.

Hey, I just remembered a truck I once paid $500 for because it had $700 worth of Tires on it!!!!

I got my money's worth out of that rig. Drove it for several years. It still had the same tires on it when I sold it.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-17-2015 at 01:20 AM.

I know he wants the diesel because power and fuel manufacturing but I really think he is being unrealistic. I think it'll become one of those unfinished projects. If it were me if just find a good V8 and go with it. The power will be there and the price and headache won't.

Many projects like this get started, some even end up running.......but very few ever end up being much more than a shed filler, to be started up once and a while, and BS'ed over with you buddies and beers, telling them what you are "Fixin" to do.

Bought a '27 ford Bucket T pickup body frame wheels stripped motor buck in the 1960's for like $100 bucks (lot of money then)....with visions of being on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine.

Towing it home on a trailer, was having buyers remorse.....but was stopped by a guy flashing his lights, and honking at me.

I stopped, he offered me double my money....and I delivered it to his house.......and was never sorry.

Bless y'all for keeping those old Jeeps running.

I have doe the same Hunter.

But I hope I have learned over the years. I have been wanting to build a '90s era Mustang for the past 5-6 years, but every time I price them and start looking at them I remember that I now pay people to do work I once did myself because it makes my back hurt, and now I have the money to pay the other guy to hurt his back!

As for the $600 Cherokee, yep, a good 4L six is easy to come by, or the V8 out of the Grand Cherokee would work and the cost would be minimal. The bolts would all match up and the computer would plug in. then your buddy could take the money he saved and buy gas instead of filtering french fry squeezin's for fuel.

I gonna suggest doing some research on "French fry oil to fuel"......
    Little more to it than that...
    Did some checking on this....and although it can be done....refining it make it work a lot better, especially in cold weather.
    Also a warranty killer....not a concern with an home made vechical.

Then you have the problem that picking up used oil, it isn't a secret any longer....and a lot is picked up for money.

Missed the boat on that by about 10-15 years.

I would rather do away with the body works, and only use the frame. That way any engine can be fitted. But is this VW engine suppossed to be fitted in the back and is air cooled/ Just spend Malaysian Ringgit 6k to change my 2001 Pajero engine, speedgear, gear transfer, gearbox and also computer box...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    I would rather do away with the body works, and only use the frame. That way any engine can be fitted. But is this VW engine suppossed to be fitted in the back and is air cooled/ Just spend Malaysian Ringgit 6k to change my 2001 Pajero engine, speedgear, gear transfer, gearbox and also computer box...
    Wrong VW...this is a in-line diesel water cooled......Google VW diesel.

Ooh,..it must have been the new generation VW engine and not from the beetle or the kombi....I remeber the VW 418 looks like a big station wagon or SUV and it does have a water cooled engine...that was way back in the 80's
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

It was VW 412 estate...like this...I loved them...http://www.oldparkedcars.com/2012/01...w-station.html

That engine is probably about 30 horsepower, maybe less so that big Jeep ain't gonna move too fast with it under the hood. Tell him to find the proper inline 6 cylinder engine made for it and it will perform much better. It would take a lot of fabrication to make that tiny motor fit anyway and even the transmission would have to be changed to make it work - not worth it !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by Tokwan View Post
    It was VW 412 estate...like this...I loved them...http://www.oldparkedcars.com/2012/01...w-station.html
    Had a 1971 (new)....got wrecked at 3000 miles, insurance bought me a 1972 (new)....put 100K on it, body rusted out....put my motor in a 1973, and put another 113K miles on it....then sold it.
    Nice cars....