Thread: I need heavy duty work gloves

Default I need heavy duty work gloves

I'm looking for leather unlined work gloves that can handle a heavy work load,firewood processing,shoveling,all around hard work. I need a glove that will last. Fingers are the wearing part of the glove and need to be thick. I haven't found a glove that will last more than a week so I am wanting something that is heavy to the point it needs a break in period like a good pair of boots.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Survival happens daily.

My local farm supply store has a better selection of gloves than most any other store. Here are two options. Buy the thickest gloves you can find...and keep buying them, or buy a pair and then sew on patches of thicker leather that covers the parts that wear out the fastest. The problem with thick fingers is that you can't bend them and grab stuff. Thick cow skin or maybe buffalo.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Try welding gloves

+2 on welding gloves.

the best leather glove in my opinion is a pigskin glove, those buggers are tough.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Heat duty? Or Heavy duty?

I wouldn't wear welding gloves for anything but handling things around a flame. Great way to get blisters using them for yard work and stuff.
    I agree with the pigskin comment. A good pair can be pricy.

For yard and garden work I have a pair of Wells Lamont Deerskin gloves. They are part synthetic with leather in all the important places. A pair will usually last a season unless they get lost or run over with the lawnmower... I have a pair of insulated ones I use when building rock walls. Cushions the inevitable pinch.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Heavy duty , sorry.
    Survival happens daily.

I will try pigskin,so many wonderful things come from the noble pig.
    Survival happens daily.

Since we now have a Harbor Freight store near by, I found some leather "roping gloves" at a good price....bought several pairs and use them for outdoor work, chain saw work and wood processing.

Have been lasting very well....and a good price.
    As with anything from HF, you gotta take the good with the bad......these just happen to be worth the bucks.....IMHO

http://www.harborfreight.com/full-gr...459-10386.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I also say welding gloves. Some Tillman TIG gloves work well. Protect you from heat yet thin enough to grab items. I use mine at least 4 hours a day all week and it can get a month out of one pair easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter2 View Post
    Heavy duty , sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by xjosh40x View Post
    I also say welding gloves. Some Tillman TIG gloves work well. Protect you from heat yet thin enough to grab items. I use mine at least 4 hours a day all week and it can get a month out of one pair easily.
    I'm guessing that it's "heavy", not "heat"......Might be wrong.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

They work good for heat and hold up well.

I used to work for a company shotblasting farm implements before they got powderecoated company wouldnt spring for actual blasting gloves so we used welding gloves
    D

Going to try ironclad ranchworx gloves,one year warranty.
    Survival happens daily.

use welding gloves or linesman gloves.