Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good trade items for SHTF

Default Good trade items for SHTF

Purely hypothetical, I'm thinking of things that will be sought after in a long term crisis situation, but that others might not think of stocking up on beforehand, so essentially to be used solely as trade items.

Examples I've come up with: diapers, tampons (condoms?). I've hit a mental roadblock. Just to clarify this is for 'unusual' things to stock up on, not food, fuel, etc. I'm sure others could add some interesting items to the list. Ah, batteries, assorted...probably not a bad idea either. Drugs (both medical and recreational ones) would probably be the most profitable. But you don't want to make a target out of yourself, or do anything illegal. And, unlike the other items mentioned, expiration would be an issue.

I guess what it comes down to is how much you can profit off said items. Would it be better to just spend your money on essentials now? Probably, but it's possible it will pay off more to sell to somebody who is desperate for diapers, or whatever, and actually get more essentials for yourself than you would have otherwise. There's no way to know what the worth of things would be in this hypothetical situation, so it's just something to think about, and maybe even prepare for.

I only purchase items for long term storage that I currently use. I do not want to spend money on items that I will likely never use or be able to barter with.

With that mindset (if it works for you) look at what you use and eat regularly and store those or similar items. If the zombie apocalypse never happens you will not have wasted your money.

Additionally - I will not be looking to profit during times of a disaster, but I look at disaster planning realistically rather than as the latest TV show or novel (not saying that is what you are doing).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This list has been on the internet since before Al Gore invented the internet. Don't know that I subscribe to it but, hey, it's a list and it's on the internet so it must be true. In any case, it might give you some ideas.

http://survivalcache.com/top-100-ite...sappear-first/

Blog Entries

+1 on what Crash said.
    Anything I put by is there to make my loved ones and my survival more probable and more comfortable.

If however you want to store items for barter I would consider TP, soap, candles, bicarbonate of soda, Borax, razor blades. If you believe in an apocoplypse, look to history. High value items have always been sewing needles, cloth, leather, thread, buttons, flint, hand tools both for DIY and gardening.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I'm in the "store what you use" school of thought.

You run into problems with storage, transportation, and simply things going bad from age and non-use.

I also do not intend to carry a "store" for barter or sale......that just makes you a target.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Snickers. Cases and cases of Snickers.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Keep in mind that condoms expire, so you would have to rotate your stock hahahha.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post

S.M.
    And Twinkies! They never go bad!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post

S.M.
    You know that Snickers and oatmeal are about the only thing on a "Do not eat", Gout diet.......
    Told my Dr. that.....she said that not true....so I said, "Show me the list"

Banned

Default Milk for Goats, eggs from Chickens are tradable, LOL

+1 on Crash

Disposable diapers are a waste of space. My mother used cloth diapers on me and I turned out just fine! (well on second though that may just explain a few things LOL). Cloth diapers have many other uses. Baby formula can become very valuable in times of crisis but shelf life is limited if not stored very carefully. Check the expiration date on the label but I doubt you will find any that is good for more than a year. Get a goat! joking a little bit.

Go to any of the peppers supply shops online or in a city near you and you will find plenty of items of value but best if they are items that you actually use from time to time. Even water goes bad after a while, food in mylar vacuum sealed bags should be cycled thru, like on camping trips or eaten once a month or week or whatever. Donated to local Boy or Girl Scouts, ask an NGO if they have a use for it whatever. Just cycle it. Sort of like what Crashdrive said, useful stuff that is actually used on a semi regular basis.

For example I have been camping with people who tried a freeze dried meal for the first time and could not stand to eat it. Well!! I certainly hope they did not stock up on thousands of dollars of it in hopes of surviving off it and trading it for stuff they really needed. LOL
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-12-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo

I just plan on guests being really, really hungry....LOL......Or they don't eat.

Not to fond of it my self....all kinda like pasta something or another it seems, and salty as heck.......but I guess better than bugs.
    Of course if you keep you flour and corn meal long enough you get the bugs anyway.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post

For example I have been camping with people who tried a freeze dried meal for the first time and could not stand to eat it. Well!! I certainly hope they did not stock up on thousands of dollars of it in hopes of surviving off it and trading it for stuff they really needed. LOL
    I guarantee you that they will eat it if that is what they had.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Alright, my thoughts...... First you said "long term" survival...and barter. I am shooting for a year supply. Anything less that that is short term. In fact one year is short term as well. Long term would be more than say 5 years. Put yourself at the 5 year mark. You have just survived 5 years of societal collapse, with no indication of things returning to normal. Let's say you had a year supply before things went south. That supply has been used up. What did you do for the remaining 4 to get to where you are? Well, you bartered. But you didn't barter for TP or condoms or cigarettes or diapers. You spent the first year trying to figure out how to replace those items. You also spent the first year figuring out how to replace your food supply. That is the purpose of the year supply....it gives you a buffer time to figure out how to replace it. The only way you can survive that long is with a community. Division of labor. One person makes one thing, another makes something else...everyone trades what they make for what they need. Eventually your community sets up a government, and currency. And of course, that government gets bigger.....etc. EOTWAWKI right? Except the world didn't end because you are still alive and there is still this big sphere orbiting between Venus and Mars with people on it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Default cloth diapers when S.H.T.F. pun intended

Children in cloth diapers typically potty train sooner (not as comfortable when wet), my mother was no fool. Also the little shin biters can't take them off as easily and do messes in the corners for the dogs to eat. But that may be your strategy, good luck with that, LOL.

There are several relatively effective alternatives to that 3rd item you mentioned that are space efficient and have a long shelf life and have been used for hundreds of years but I'lI let you Google that yo'self.

Hummm, Am I detecting a diaper fan around here?

Did ya see the episode of Storage Wars....and Rene' bought a whole locker full of cases of Adult Diapers....
    Everyone made fun of him, paid like $500 bucks for the locker.....and ended up selling them for like $10 buck a case.....and made about $10 grand?

FYI....Unusual uses for condoms
    http://www.instructables.com/id/unus...s-for-condoms/
    Last edited by hunter63; 02-12-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I just plan on guests being really, really hungry....LOL......Or they don't eat.

Not to fond of it my self....all kinda like pasta something or another it seems, and salty as heck.......but I guess better than bugs.
    Of course if you keep you flour and corn meal long enough you get the bugs anyway.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Funny Hunter.
    As you know and can find many links to here at WS or other camping, outdoors forums etc. There are several methods of sealing up grains, pastas and other dry goods in mylar bags purchased online in bulk that will last for 1-5 years, possibly 20 years put in UV resistant drums etc blah blah. Freeze for a day or two to kill weevils and other bugs. Basic storage ideas like that.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-12-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added boring details

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Funny Hunter.
    As you know and can find many links to here at WS. There are several methods of sealing up grains, pastas and other dry goods in mylar bags purchased online in bulk that will last for 1-5 years, possibly 20 years. Freeze for a day or two to kill weevils and other bugs. Basic storage ideas like that.
    No ship........Wow........

Besides the normal stuff we store for our selves recently ( I have a friend that owns a hotel supply business) I've been stocking up on the little motel/hotel items like soap, shampoo, and stuff. Just got a couple of 250 count boxes of those little individually packaged toothbrushes for $30.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I'd barter and trade for things in a SHTF situation. But I'm not going to buy items I would not use like condoms or diapers. If someone had an item I needed and I had an abundance like ammo, water or medical supplies to trade sure that would be a smart move. But wasting my money, space and time on an item I don't need and if a SHTF never happens it's a waste. But everyone has their own way and anyone preparing for any situation I encourage. Maybe if I lived in a more populated place that the odds of someone needing a certain item increased than I could see myself doing such. But as of now I don't see the need for MYSELF to stock unneeded items.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I can not figure out for the life of me what all those walking zombies wandering around after TEOTWAWKI are going to have that I would want to barter for???

If you need it, then you should have had it before they arrived with it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?