Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Theoretical: Living off the grid

A lot of people understand "The Dream".....but rather than expecting the world to provide it to us.......Many of us DO the work, plan, learn, work some more to achieve that dream.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    A lot of people understand "The Dream".....but rather than expecting the world to provide it to us.......Many of us DO the work, plan, learn, work some more to achieve that dream.
    Preaching to the choir hunter63. I busted my *** for decades to get where I am. I have some "family" that strangely feels "entitled".

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Boo, still have some more work to do. It's all old medical bills. I've been paying on them without fail every month for years now. So I always just thought of them as one big bill. But no, it's several smaller bills. So each one of them is pinging my credit score individually, driving it down. So I am going to go in and pay off the smaller ones right away, getting them off of there. Several in the $2-300 range. He said other then that, all my stuff looks great and I'll have no problem. If I get those off of there, I'll be trying again in July. So...bummed. But, back to work....
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

You can work with most hospitals about bills. Just keep in touch with them regularly.

I worked off a huge debt to them. Years.
    Last edited by madmax; 04-16-2015 at 02:06 PM.

I hear ya....we did as well......many years ago....was serious for a long time.....
    Keep plugging......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just a general comment. Always target the higher interest loans/bills first and try to get them out of the way. That will save you money in the long run and provide much needed funds to work on any other bills.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    You can work with most hospitals about bills. Just keep in touch with them regularly.

I worked off a huge debt to them. Years.
    They are not with the hospital but with collections. I keep in touch with them! I have automatic bill pay set up sending them $100 a month automatically and have for YEARS now. But like I said, there are about 4 smaller ones I can go ahead and pay off in the next couple of months and get them to stop pinging my credit score.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just a general comment. Always target the higher interest loans/bills first and try to get them out of the way. That will save you money in the long run and provide much needed funds to work on any other bills.
    The ONLY thing I have is these old medical bills (other the my car payment). I assume they are all at the same interest rate since they are all with the same collection company. I have a credit card I use for gas only and pay it off almost every month (one tool I was using to build my credit). He said other then these medical bills, my credit and income to debt ratio would be GREAT.

Living off the grid. When I was little I had a similiar romantic view.
    Now I prefer "self-sustainable living" as that is my long term goal, but I would be sad without hot water and internet. But with all the things out there that you can make yourself it is not to unrealistic t ostrive for those. But living 'totally' off the grid .... do you see any unclaimed territory between countries?
    I myself am actually on my way up that steep incline of work some of you guys mentioned. The way I plan to do it is by getting int oone of the many survival schools and becoming an instructor from there I'll have experience and certification so I'll make money doing what I love to get to do what I love. win-win.
    But i'm sure you could buy some land for around 15,000 dollars to get a good size of medium quality and just build there and deal with the taxes.... if so I recomend montanna or ohio, as they have large parks and pastures. (views are amazing)
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi
    Individually we are a drop, together, we are an ocean. - Ryunosuke Satoro

You might try pricing land. Just sayin'......Of course, I don't know your definition of "good size".

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    The ONLY thing I have is these old medical bills (other the my car payment). I assume they are all at the same interest rate since they are all with the same collection company. I have a credit card I use for gas only and pay it off almost every month (one tool I was using to build my credit). He said other then these medical bills, my credit and income to debt ratio would be GREAT.
    I do not know if the laws have changed 1TS, but when I was working for a mortgage company selling loans back in the 1990s, medical bills were not allowed to be included with other debt when negotiating a home loan.

They can be included in a car loan, Credit Card approval or direct store credit, but not home loans.

The company might be trying to include them so they can bump you into a higher interest rate.

Or the laws might have changed during the panic of '07.

And 7whitewolf7, $15k will buy you 1/2 acre in north Kentucky, and not much more than that anywhere else outside of the Senora Desert and waaaaay less than that in Ohio.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 05-01-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?