Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butter milk instead of Rid-X in septic systems?

Banned

Default Pit toilets at USACE should probably have locks or emergency climb ropes LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The installer put a padlock and hold down chains on mine when it was put in........
    That's the reason....it a law.
    Years ago I was at a United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) campground (which are very good BTW) with my young daughters and they were very grossed out by the "pit toilets" which they had never seen or smelled before. So your padlock comment got me to wondering how many kids have accidentally fallen or been thrown down these as a not so practical joke. "help I've fallen in, its very dark in here and smells very bad." "Please don't sit down and make it any darker or SMELLIER!!!"

But seriously the USACE does a great job and not all have pit toilets which are just fine, and you would have to really need to try hard or be very small to fall into a pit toilet.

http://www.recreation.gov/campground...agencyID=70902

Now a camper's rat sized dog that barked all night long I might just be tempted to take it for a long walk that ended some place dark and stinky… NO not really, I would never do that it would result in jail time.

I don't know about kids but my dad dropped his wallet in one once. Took two coat hangers to get it back. Nasty. Today, I'm pretty paranoid about my wallet when I enter one. Just one of the many things that warped me as a child.

Banned

My father told me that back in the 1920-30 ' on their farm in Alberta, Canada in the winter time the "stuff" would pileup and freeze so they would need to put a pole in there and break the top off in the outhouse. Also whip seat off so moisture would not melt refreeze and get you stuck on it.

Worst I had with outhouses as a kid was dung flies going in and out leaning over because they are persistent, and the occasional snake, constrictor in the palm leaf roof but these were good because they kept the rat population down. No real problems actually.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-18-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    My father told me that back in the 1920-30 ' on their farm in Alberta, Canada in the winter time the "stuff" would pileup and freeze so they would need to put a pole in there and break the top off in the outhouse. Also whip seat off so moisture would not melt refreeze and get you stuck on it.

Worst I had with outhouses as a kid was dung flies going in and out leaning over because they are persistent, and the occasional snake, constrictor in the palm leaf roof but these were good because they kept the rat population down. No real problems actually.

When I was a kid and we first moved to Nunavut, the first community we lived in mostly had sewage tanks...think a septic tank above ground with no field, pumped out by a municipal truck every few days, with the waste being taken out of town and put in a man-made lagoon (which, as an aside, is a smell you don't forget). There were, however, a few homes that still used honeybuckets. Now, January or February, I cannot remember which exactly of the first year, there was a big conference out of town that my mother had to go to. My stepfather hadn't moved north yet, I was too young to leave alone for a week, so I went to stay with a friend of my mother who lived in an older house that didn't have all the modern conveniences. Three small rooms, and a long cold porch. For sanitary reasons, the honey bucket was kept in the cold porch. In the middle of winter. North of 69.

On the upside, there wasn't much smell. That being said.....if you ever want to wake up really, really quickly, try sitting on a toilet seat that's been stored at -40 or colder for the past few months. I'm shivering now remembering it.

Had a new 1000 gallon tank and 200' of drain line installed Saturday.
    Waiting for the code inspection sometime this morning so everything can be covered over.
    The old tank was roughly 700 gallons but the most surprising thing was how thin the walls were.
    Only about 2" thick.
    The guy doing the work said that tank was around 50-60 years old.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!