Thread: Are You Looking Off The Grid

Lightbulb Are You Looking Off The Grid

Hello everyone,
    I'm hoping you can read and share! I'm a casting producer looking for folks who are seriously looking to move - or recently moved- off grid and intend to live off the land. It's an interesting and meaningful journey, from search to build to prepping for seasons -- if you're interested in sharing and documenting your journey -- please contact me! More details below.
    Many thanks!

Are you moving off the grid to live off the land? Or buying a survival property?

A major cable network is looking for individuals, families, or groups who are about to leave the comforts of their modern life behind and begin a self-sufficient lifestyle. Perhaps it’s a family who is looking to start a family homestead in northern Idaho, or two brothers who are building a home that can withstand any outside threat.

While our main area of focus is Northern Idaho, we’re interested in speaking with anyone who is about to make a big, off-the-grid move in their lives. If you have just purchased property — or are in the research / planning / purchase stages — we’d be interested in hearing your story.

Our documentary team has filmed in just about every environment imaginable and treats every story with the respect it deserves.

If you’re interested in learning more about this opportunity, please send a little bit about yourself, a few photos, the general area where you’re moving, why you’ve decided to move, and what challenges you might face once you make the big move, send your contact information – reply to this post.

There will be compensation of $250 if chosen for the 1-hour Skype conversation.

Welcome eve and thanks for posting. Here you go folks. You might want to email her (I'm assuming eve is a she) rather than post it on a public forum. Simply click on her screen name above and go to her profile. Once there, you will see the option to email. Good luck.

Here's a chance to "get off the grid".....
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good luck in your talent search.

For those of you that dream of this sort of thing, here's an opportunity for you. For those of you who are skeptics......well, you know who you are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

for me, getting off the grid, means getting away from people, NOT having them follow me around with cameras documenting my every move.

But, I am willing to skype with you to help fund my move

Hahaha! Give me the money then leave me alone. I love it.

i say just stat where your at we,ll all be off the grid before long anyhow.
    and as for ms eve, hmmmmmmmmm why northern id,? i put my tin foil hat on when i read that.

Banned

Default Do it if you can, Once in a lifetime opportunity!

Northern Idaho is beautiful country I would enjoy watching that show. I hope they find some people willing to be recorded "off the grid" there. IMO someone with experience in that environment is most likely to be successful. A friend of mine from a small town in East Texas moved with his wife to far Northern Maine near the Canadian border to live a primitive lifestyle. They did fairly well for several years but eventually gave it up.

The camera crew is something most people can learn to just ignore after a week or two. I spent several summers living with indigenous people in the Amazon. They never seemed to grow tired of watching my every move, would stare at me for hours day and night but I tuned it out after a while, not a problem. Also a TV camera crew once got up in our business when I was about 12. I scrowled at the video camera when it was recording me walking down a path, figured they would never broadcast a child. But they cut out lots of far more important material and showed me on the evening news, the &#!% jerks! Also a national geographic photographer did a little story on our family, he was very cool about it. We occasionally had Nat Geo folks drop by, they were alway great guests.

So my advice is do it if you can, it will be a life changing experience and having a video record of it will be great for your children.

For me the climate, wildlife and camera crew would be the least of my worries. My wife and daughters would freaking kill me, LOL.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-05-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typos

Northern Idaho.....What about Fiji?.....What is with freezing your booty off?......
    Fiji, I tell ya...then we will talk......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Wilderness living is all difficult regardless of the climate

Fuji, Dominican Republic etc many places seem fun until a tropical storm hits, but I would do it when I was under 40 especially if paid to do it. Jungles of Amazon, SE Asian and Central Africa are mostly pure hell from my personal experience even with plenty of medical assistance. I have seen a lot of death there from tiny little things that I could not see.

Someone has probably already documented it, but what I would like to see is a 90 day or multi year documentary "Les Stroud style" on living in an Urban "wilderness". With the right skill set it is possible to stealth camp along the rivers and in wild areas of city parks and eat small game all within the areas of multi million populations. Basically part of the military's SERE training put into action in a very hostile environment. NOT fun stuff just a challenge.

However, in a place like N-Idaho severe cold will certainly kill you very fast. Perhaps that is merciful. Not really.

Blog Entries

Cool Mmmmmggghhh!

How can they Skype if they're "off grid?" And why would they even want too? Anywho, good luck with that....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    How can they Skype if they're "off grid?" And why would they even want too? Anywho, good luck with that....
    My friends are off grid. That doesn't mean they can't make their own electricity and have internet through satellite. Solar and wind power and generators for when there isn't enough of either of those to fill up the battery banks is fairly easy.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    My friends are off grid. That doesn't mean they can't make their own electricity and have internet through satellite. Solar and wind power and generators for when there isn't enough of either of those to fill up the battery banks is fairly easy.
    Good point!
    There are two couples I grew up with in Brazil who now live in remote parts of Mozambique. They use solar power etc to stay in touch but are limited on BW. They occasionally get a little irritated at me when I post hi res video etc. But low bandwidth or hike out to where more is available is not a problem if there is enough motivation for it.