Thread: jerky homemade vs store bought is homemade really cheaper?

Default jerky homemade vs store bought is homemade really cheaper?

been wanting to make some jerky latley but with the price of beef
    these days is it really cheaper to make your own. also do you really need to add
    curing salt or no?

Salt will act as an osmotic desiccant, flavor the beef and act as an (unnecessary, but beneficial) preservative in the finished product. Only you can determine whether it is cost effective to make your own, as your markets are likely to be different from mine. When I can buy lean beef on sale it is substantially cheaper, and at other times it is considerably more expensive. Jerky is not especially cheap here, but not outrageous, as say it is for my Australian friends, or probably is for people in Japan. Depending on the meat it will take from 5 to 8lb of meat to make a jerky dry enough for low biological reactivity. It is the final dryness that determines this, and not the amount you started with as various sources of meats, even of the same animal and cut may vary widely in moisture content. With this said; it is *nominally* safely dried if it has attained the texture you attribute to particularly dry commercial jerky. About 75g protein to 10g water minimum.

Note also that some parts of the world have beef which is more or less safe to cold dehydrate. This should be a consideration also. If you would't eat the beef bloody raw, drying it without appropriate heating is only going to be a small amount safer.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Curing salt isn't required. I use seasoning salt instead. 2 teaspoons for 2 lbs of beef.

Indeed, any salt will work. Sugar works too. A healthy mix of salt, potassium salt (salt substitute) and sugar is not too bad for those on a reduced sodium diet.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

When a 3 ounce package of jerky costs between $5 and $12 depending on how proud they are of it.....yeah, it's cheaper.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When a 3 ounce package of jerky costs between $5 and $12 depending on how proud they are of it.....yeah, it's cheaper.
    Only if you have self control and can put the homemade stuff down, just sayin'
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

If you shoot the game....then make jerky it might be cheaper....if you use the oven.....Maybe.
    As in "Get your self a deer, now slice him up in 1/4 inch strips.....

When you figure a smoker, grinder (some kits have them) electric knives, (helps slice part frozen meat, and make thinner slices), all the seasoning and make a lot of it....at some point it becomes cost effective.

I gave away all my gear to DD and SIL, and let them make it.
    Besides I'm supposed to be on a low sodium diet.......Bag of jerky is a salt bomb....and will satisfy daily requirement for 3 weeks.

So I just buy a bag of the pepper jerky every once in a while.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    A bag of jerky is like a bottle of good bourbon. Once you open it, you have to finish it all before it spoils...
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Yeah.....I've run into that problem, with my homemade bacon.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Yeah.....I've run into that problem, with my homemade bacon.
    Ditto. Have you seen the Bacon Easter Egg?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Ditto. Have you seen the Bacon Easter Egg?
    *You have my full attention madam!*
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    *You have my full attention madam!*
    Psst, MrF see http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...739#post453739

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

well, let's see. I have the cost of the bullet, and the gas to go hunting. We pretty much have all the spices already, and the electricity to run the dehydrator. I look at the grocery store and it is almost $3 per lb.
    So I can jerk my own for pennies on the lb. homemade is much cheaper.