Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Measles Cases on the Rise

Yep, dang rodents have long been harbingers of disease and pestilence. Seriously though, The thought process is blaming the outbreak on unvaccinated people, and while that may be true, I don't think they have enough proof to be pointing their fingers at a particular portion on the population. I was vaccinated THREE times against mumps. Once when getting my routing vaccs at age appropriate times as a infant, then when we moved to Florida and my records were lost, I had to undergo them again to enter kindergarten, then again when we moved back to Indiana, my records were lost and I again had them to enroll in school here. January 1st, 1974 I woke up with both sides of my neck as swollen as a chipmunk that just found a bounty of food. 14 days isolated at home,none of my siblings came down with them....
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Just proves stupid is everywhere. Saddest part is all those poor children suffering. I've seen first hand what measles can do, it's not pretty.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I've had the measles and the mumps, wonder if I'm immune now?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Had measles a few times when I was a kid........
    I guess I didn't think it was that big of deal?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I just heard on the news that this year has the highest rate of hospitalization for flu in the past 10 years, and its only January.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Had the measles and the mumps at the same time in the late 50's. I just remember laughing at myself in the mirror because I looked so weird. I think there were three or four of us in the bed together. Had the flu in '68 which seemed bad to me. I think I had it in 2002 for an evening. Might be because I never got a flu shot.

flu shots no thanks havent got one in decades . got the flu few years back that,s it just stayed home and fought it off thought i,d like to die
    but just fought iy off and all the better for it i,d say.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Hahaha. If only that were true. Made good television though. And, in the '60s, measles were a common topic and illness. Today it only takes a few cases to make news. Try something more current and science based.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/

Yes but those numbers include all the children from third world countries. Nutrition plays a huge part in overcoming complications from measles such as Vit. A. On average, there is only one death per year in the US from measles.

Thanks to vaccinations. The third world children have only recently begun receiving them.

Central America began getting lots of vacinations some time betwen 1975-1995...don't know exactly when. The percentage is pretty high against measles chicken pox ect. I doubt the percentage will ever be as high as the US due to rumors of birth control hormones in the vaccines or other such rumors. I think these feelings run higher in the indiginous and rural cultures.

Banned

Default vaccines not perfect but more effective than foolishly doing nothing

"The majority of the people who got measles were unvaccinated."
    for many years the average number of cases in the USA was about 100 our less in 2014 it was 644, 2015 will most likely be MUCH higher look at this graph:
    http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

It has been posted by media reports all across the country.

As a kid we had the family of an indigenous man stay with us in the city, he had been brought to the "Ministry of Indian Affairs" hospital for Small Pox and contracted TB while there and died of that. It was very sad but the family was very positive and had a wonderful service celebrating his life. Personally I would feel irresponsible not vaccinating for a disease if it was possible to protect those who could not protect themselves for whatever reasons. Obviously vaccines are not perfect science, what is perfect science? Cars fail, airplanes fail, Roofs fail. Do you dig a hole and just pray to die for fear of scientific and technical failure? What the heck that is just STUPID!!!

Like what Forrest Gump said: Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-04-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Banned

Default Death rate by Measles

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Yes but those numbers include all the children from third world countries. Nutrition plays a huge part in overcoming complications from measles such as Vit. A. On average, there is only one death per year in the US from measles.
    "Measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and cost-effective vaccine is available.
    In 2013, there were 145,700 measles deaths globally – about 400 deaths every day or 16 deaths every hour."
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs286/en/

2-3 out of every 1000 of those who get measles die of it, others can get brain damage. This may explain why some people are so casual about getting a vaccine.

With the ignorant attitude growing in the USA this death rate overseas may soon be similar in America. It may even correspond to lower scores on standardized STEM tests of Americans compared to those of kids from other countries.

Banned

Default tort liability if you choose not to vaccinate

Legal Responsibilities in Choosing Not to Vaccinate
    Since the tort of negligence was created specifically to compensate those harmed because of another person's unreasonable choices, the conditions of tort liability apply when there are not health reasons for you and your children not to be vaccinated and you can afford it. Thus when another child dies or incurs large health bills because they had Leukemia or some other condition that prevented them from being vaccinate they can sue you for financial damages. A judge and sympathetic jury are highly likely to side on with the Leukemia patient not the person with fear of vaccines based on junk science. There are many articles written on this and discussions on legal forums and blogs etc and several pending cases etc. Here is one that is fairly concise and easy to follow:
    http://shotofprevention.com/2013/09/...-to-vaccinate/

I saw on the news tonight that some pediatricians planned to refuse to treat kids that had not been vaccinated. Their claim is the risks to young babies are too great if an unvaccinated patient arrives with a preventable disease. If that happens they have to shut down their practice and quarantine everyone that was there at the time.

The measles vaccine is a live vaccine. So when you get it, guess what, you shed! So there fore, others can be infected by someone who has been vaccinated. If you want to discuss this or state your point of view, then that is fine. But TX it seems like you are purposefully posting inflammatory language and name calling. Dude, grow up.

While it is live it is attenuated. They alter the virus so it is less virulent and, therefore, not infectious. You can not infect someone else by receiving the vaccine. For those that want their children's immune system to learn from the disease there is no better way to do it than with a live attenuated virus. The MMR vacine is one such example. I had an MMR booster in 2007 with no fears of being around my grand children. No one contracted any of the diseases as a result.

http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/vacc...svaccines.aspx