Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iron sites for a pellet rifle

Banned

Default Why air rifle may be better for targets and small game/pests than 22LR

When at Wal-Mart I talked to the older gentleman at the gun counter who was very helpful but had his facts little off (heck I often do myself.) So my ideal survival gun for small game is a .22LR/410 shotgun combo which can be very lightweight and cheap (Rossi "Match Pair" there was $133), but there are some obvious disadvantages of these over a relatively high powered air rifle (small caliber, not .45 etc).

Last 2 years or so this ammo has been difficult to find. Even when my good friend at the Cabela's gun counter Text Messages me that they received some and I drop everything and rush over there to stand in line, but there is a limit on how much I can purchase. Loading my own as the other thread here at WS discussed is a PITA. Then there is cost compared to air gun pellets. Purchased in bulk .22LR typically cost 3 to 40 cents per round while pellets cost about 1.2 to 2.5 cent each. So if you and your family do a lot of target shooting (to be prepared) and go thru 1000 rounds each month or year this could easily be the cost of a medium priced PCP repeater air rifle or Savage Arms Model 42. Obviously the air rifle will come out cheaper over a year or two for many people who hunt pests or varmints, or target practice often.

Review of Savage Arms Model 42 for those not familiar with it:
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/s...del-42-review/

Rossi matched pair:
    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=113
    Rossi was manufacturer of my first barrel break pellet gun, I shot many crazy cow/pig feed bag eating "Wats" wit it.
    Rossi makes cheap but functional weapons, IMO.

If you can find a M6 Scout great, I am impressed.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-03-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typos

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

LOL !!!

I will buy all the Rossi matched pair sets you can find me at $133!!!

I don't even care what the calibers are, I'll take them.

The last set I bought cost me nearly $250.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    LOL !!!

Prices and availabilty vary widely online versus in stores and even across town from one store to the next, ask any manager at a Wal-Mart they will explain it to you.
    One of the local Wal-Marts near me had several of these in stock for only $133, online they are listed for $149 and out of stock. Perhaps I should make some $$ on Flea Bay???
    Academy sports has them listed for $170 not sure if they are in stock, but overall with firearms it definitely pays to know people in the business. Being a unconnected "Joe on the street" customer really sucks, also not living in Texas can be difficult I have been told.

Edit: I'll run on by there later and double check, there were a bunch of rifles in the case and I was in a hurry I may have been looking at a different tag, but don't think so. If you really "need" one I could ground ship it to you perhaps.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-03-2015 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Edit: price check at WM gun counter

LOL !!!

Yeah was gonna say.....must have been w a while back.......$250 +/- seems to be normal sale price lately for the Rossi combo's....last couple of years.

This is kinda a stretch for sights on air rifles.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default 3 visually impaired mice and IR laser sights, a fictional account

Three Visually Impaired Mice (Mother Goose rhyme poorly paraphrased that doesn’t rhyme).

Three diminutive rodents invaded the domicile of an agrarian couple. As each tiny varmint poked its head out of apertures they had gnawed in the couple’s shelter an infrared laser diode emitting a wavelength of 780 nanometers at 200 milliwatts seared the retina of each one of their eyes. This enabled the agrarian woman to sever their caudal appendages with her laser-beam-welder. Then they were unable to maintain equilibrium on the structural roof trusses of the domicile and the agrarian couple’s Felis catus captured them as they fell and thus they perished, Pb free.

Perhaps I have been reading too many scientific photonics papers. But this was mostly inspired by BeamQ dot com. If you require a Google Translate from Tech Nerdish into English one cannot be provided, sorry.

Also inspired by all the YouTube videos of NiteSite NS200 owners hunting dirty rotten WATs in their pig barns:

Banned

Default Price and availability may be better in Texas, also OK, LA

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah was gonna say.....must have been w a while back.......$250 +/- seems to be normal sale price lately for the Rossi combo's....last couple of years.

This is kinda a stretch for sights on air rifles.........
    I agree Hunter there are many options for sights on air rifles, we covered many but not all of them.

However, just to be sure I was not way off base I went back to that Wal-Mart to check on price and availability because the OP was concerned about that in his original post. I agree with him I think air guns have many advantages over 22LR firearms but these small game fire arms can be very cheap, simple to clean and fix and operate compared to equivalent air guns so should never be completely ruled out unless you live somewhere they and ammo are just not available for example.

SOOOO

Yes for only $133 it was a 0.410 shotgun only Rossi without the 0.22 Cal rifle barrel (one in stock) but they also had one Matched Pair (0.22 Cal and 0.410 gauge dual barrel) in stock for $149 at the Wal-Mart about 4 miles from me.

I also checked the Academy they had 4 Rossi Matched Pairs in stock for $169.99 each, and the Savage Model 42 22LR/410 for $359.99 which I personally prefer. But Rossi is probably better for a young child as their first rifle or for ultra light backpacking etc. Depends on your requirements.

At a local independent Gun Shop (not a big box store) they had the Ruger 10/22 takedown Syn stock for $339 and wood for $345 these I really like but they don't have the 410 SG. Also everyplace I went had 0.22LR except Wal-Mart but as to be expected the quantities were limited. I only bought 100 rounds for $8.99 before sales tax, not greedy or planing to go target shooting soon. I will post some photos for those doubters, but you could call Wal-Mart gun counters in Texas and Oklahoma if you think I am lying.

Personally I think the OPs idea of target practice with an air rifle with iron sights is great. Happy target plinking.

Rossi133.jpg
    22LR.jpg
    Rossi_Savage.jpg
    Oct14_133.jpg

Hopefully the resolution is high enough for you to see that the price tag was printed on October 16, 2014 not a few years ago, fellas. Come live in Texas where there is plenty of ammo and the price of firearms has not been jacked up by you know who.

To assist you kyratshooter I called the "Farm Creek" Wal-Mart in Louisville, Kentucky (502) 231-4800. Their price for the Rossi Matched Pair or "Combo" 22/410 is $167 but unlike most stores in Texas they don't have any in stock and don't plan to. But for only $114 they have some of these:
    KSA226L.jpg

So if your kid gets startled by a rabbit with large scary teeth and drops their rifle this hi-vis color will make it easier for them to locate their rifle in the brush. Personally I was taught to never drop my firearm or set it down but things may be different in KY. BTW don't use that gel on these firearms. LOL

To assist Hunter63 I called the Wal-Mart in Shawano, WI and talked to Ron who told me that they did indeed have the Rossi Matched Pair or "Combo" 22/410 in stock and the price was $199. So if you or a friend's kid needs one of these call Ron at 715-524-5980 and ask if he can hold it for you.

Rather than one of these .22 rifles I would recommend something like a Savage Rascal that comes with peep sights. If you are a member of a hunting, shooting club or boy scout troop or talk to mangers of a BSA campground you may be able to get in on a group buy and save some money with a discount.

Many models from many manufacturers to choose from but the Savage Arms Rascal youth is typically about $180 retail but not that difficult to find (IN TEXAS) for about $130 or less with group discounts.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...savage-rascal/
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-04-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typos, added photos of evidence I don't lie

Banned

Default Air gun as a shotgun

That $133 410 shotgun reminded me of the tiny little air gun shot gun shells we occasionally fooled around with when I was a kid. This was obviously foolish to use in a rifle because the tiny shot messed up the barrel's rifling, but we were mostly unsupervised hooligans who got hit with ricochets and occasionally shot each other's hands etc., so this was a minor issue. Blah Blah Blah.

Better to use an Air gun intended to be used with shotgun shells like the Gamo Viper Express Air Shotgun or Shadow Express Shotgun if you can find them for a reasonable price, preferably used. Some people think they will work for pest control then realize their mistake and try to sell them. BUT for backyard skeet practice at about 20 feet or less these can be a lot of fun. Just downsize your clay pigeons (skeet) to little plastic disks, water balloons, or roll paintballs on the driveway (Mom will love that!). This way you and your kids get some practice shooting moving targets for cheap. However, the Gamo air gun shotgun pellets are WAY over priced at about $12 per 25 (50 cents each) so buy some #9 or #12 super fine shot and refill them yourself. Compared to firearm shotgun shells this is very easy. Instructions online just Google or figure out some ways with hole punch and rubber cement or whatever yourself. Simple stuff, biggest problem is the cost of the air gun, could always use an old used .22 air gun purchased very cheap, not worry about rifling getting messed up. Have fun. Don't shoot you eye out or pepper the side of some one's face with tiny shot, that makes them look like they have bad acne. Don't ask me how I know… LOL Ouch!

Banned

Default A-Rifles under $200 with Peep Sight added

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Maybe I will give the irons a try before looking for a set of peep sites. I don't think I am ready to pay $300+ for a pellet rifle yet. That eliminates some of the more accurate rifles with peep sites pre-installed.
    You have probably already read the front splash pages and info pages of several air rifle sites that have good info that discuss the various types of rifles and what they are best for but this list of air rifles under $300 is good to consider.

http://www.topairgun.com/riflesunder300

One warning is that an excellent PCP rifle like the Benjamin Discovery .22 generally works better with a compressed air tank or expensive hand pump or lots of CO2 so the cost is actually well above $300. Also IMHO as long as the rifle has rails that will accept a good quality but affordable peep sight (after market) and the front sight is reasonably good and works with that peep sight I would not be overly concerned about the iron sights and scopes that come with the rifle under about $500 or certainly under $200, these will be barely functional for backyard casual plinking of soda cans. But that is just my personal opinion. My biggest concern is that a set of peep sights fits it well FOR SURE, possibly even order from one retailer with them already installed. Retailer may question your motives, but the point is for kids to learn to use and appreciate peep sights. Personally I find most gun shops, counters and even online retailers very helpful yet laid back, totally different than most retail these days.

example:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Ve...4_Peep_Sight/5

Air Venturi Williams 64 Peep Sight $40 should work with Crosman/Benjamin 392 ($170 typical or less)

If you are like me you call them up and negotiate a $10 off bundle with free express shipping etc, price match with others etc. but I am a little extreme.

Benjamin 392/397 without scope only about $140 at Wal-Mart if you can find it there, and 397 0.177" (4.5mm) cheaper pellets if that is an issue for you, i.e. just target practice not knock down power, tear up flesh etc for relatively larger game.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-03-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: example for peep sight with medium $ AG

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    Come live in Texas where there is plenty of ammo and the price of firearms has not been jacked up by you know who.
    Thanks for all the effort you are putting into trying to help me. I really appreciate it. That Benjamin really looks like the best option right now.

By the way, I graduated college from UTSA. But, by that time, I had had enough of Texas and looked for a job anywhere but...... Of course, what that meant was anywhere west except Cali. There are a lot of things I liked about Texas, but there were no mountains and not much public land. Of course there is also humidity and fire ants...but I digress.
    I do miss Rudy's BBQ and my wife always craves Blue Bell.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Default TX bit warm, but does have tall peaks, compared to Eastern USA

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    There are a lot of things I liked about Texas, but there were no mountains and not much public land. Of course there is also humidity and fire ants...but I digress.
    I do miss Rudy's BBQ and my wife always craves Blue Bell.
    I spent much of my childhood in a place even more hot and humid so Texas seems fairly mild to me. Cool that you could find some good quality air rifles, many of the Benjamin/Sheridan are made in the USA, not sure about that one.

Also most of the mountains in Texas are far to the west but 5 are over 8000 feet and another 5 over 7000 feet, taller than any of those little weathered hills east of the Mississippi river the Easterners call mountains. Silly hillbillies. Oh I'm only joking don't flame me.

Google Tallest+mountains+in+texas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_Peak

Tallest peaks/mountains east of Mississippi River:
    http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/10-...ippi-5509.html

My grandfather was more like you, he immigrated from NE Germany (Prussia) from NYC got a job on railroads about 1900 went to Texas because there were many Germans there. Said it was WAY TOOO HOT!!! (no AC back then, had to sleep sweating like a race horse all night long.) Homesteaded near Fargo, ND saw beginning of dust bowl coming sold land to city, they actually built a horse race track on it. He moved to a small German village near Edmonton, Alberta and homesteaded for a second time there. My dad was born, grew up, said it was WAY TOOOO COLD!!!! Moved to South America. I was born and spent most of my childhood there, said it was WAY TOOOO HOT and HUMID moved to Texas, so it has been a long multigenerational journey around back to Texas. Now I enjoy AC when not camping.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-04-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: family tree history, blah blah blah

Banned

Default How to find Air guns and firearms 4sale in any state

FYI if anyone needs to locate a Wal-Mart in their state that sells firearms or air rifles just Google or Bing search for it OBVIOUSLY!! Here is a helpful list that I found for Texas, but I also found this information very easily for Kentucky and Wisconsin. Also there are eBay equivalents for firearms and air guns such as "gun broker" "arms list" and many more that anyone who actually "hunts", competitively shoots and/or collects firearms would be well aware of. In fact if you had lived in Texas of decades and did not know this you would most likely be a %#!*# bleeding heart yankee and people would only be friendly to you here because we don't take these things personally and don't say what we really think directly to your face. Just keep you crazy "nanny state" views to ya self, thank you.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=373108

Edit: Assistance for KYrat

google: kentucky walmart firearms sale

Supercenter. 5130 Hinkleville Rd; Paducah, KY 42001; (270) 444-0066

Supercenter. 100 Walton Ave; Danville, KY 40422; (859) 236-9572

Supercenter. 7625 Doering Dr; Florence, KY 41042; (859) 282-8333

Supercenter. 150 Walton Ave; Bowling Green, KY 42104; (270) 781-7903

Supercenter. 7101 Cedar Springs Blvd; Louisville, KY 40291; (502) 231-4880

Ask for something in your price range like a Keystone Crickett typically $114 Nationwide
    Or $95 from Keystone if you are an certified instructor but most instructors that I know would not want those.
    Single shot .22LR
    http://www.crickett.com/crickett_22_LR.php

As mentioned in comment #26 above the KY price for Rossi may be too high for you and for whatever reasons may not be in stock:
    Rossi Matched Pair or "Combo" 22/410 is $167 at most Wal-Marts in Kentucky.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-06-2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Firearms for KYrat in KY

Thanks anyway TXyker, but I know where the local Walmarts are, and I have full access to the internet, just like the rest of us.

I really have no use for a Rossi .22/.410 matched pair except to resell them if a profit can be had.

Don't need a Cricket rifle either, mostly due to the lack of need for a .22LR in most shapes and forms.

My personal need for the Rossi matched pairs is to provide backup guns for my main hunting rifles, so those barrels, and the H&R barrels I own, are in center fire calibers with the occasional shotgun barrel scattered around. Those sets are priced at a higher point than the .22/.410.

What I can afford is between me and the IRS and has nothing to do with this thread.

Whether I "actually hunt, competitively shoot and/or collect" is baiting I will ignore.

As for looking back to post #26... I did.

I actually had to take in 25,26,27 and 28 to see what was happening.

I'm out of this one. You will have to pick a fight with someone else.

I also checked the Academy they had 4 Rossi Matched Pairs in stock for $169.99 each, and the Savage Model 42 22LR/410 for $359.99 which I personally prefer. But Rossi is probably better for a young child as their first rifle or for ultra light backpacking etc. Depends on your requirements.

To assist Hunter63 I called the Wal-Mart in Shawano, WI and talked to Ron who told me that they did indeed have the Rossi Matched Pair or "Combo" 22/410 in stock and the price was $199. So if you or a friend's kid needs one of these call Ron at 715-524-5980 and ask if he can hold it for you.

Yeah thanks.....I didn't know Shawano had a Walmart.....But I'm good.

Banned

Default not picking a fight, shutting one down

LOL !!!

I was taught at a very young age don't make a statement you cannot back up. Don't start a fight you cannot finish.
    I never started a fight but I darn sure wanted to guarantee that my reputation for reliable facts was certain.

If you question me again be sure you have done your research.

Edit: What matters most to me is my reputation!!!
    I am learning whose comments to just ignore thus the long understood term "trolling for newbies" and "Internet Troll" if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, flies like a duck it might be a duck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-06-2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: my reputation matters to me

Sorry TXyaker,

Seems I have lost a fight I did not know was happening.

Now, where did you show me that Matched Pair at $133 ? I seem to have lost that "fact" in all the clutter.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-06-2015 at 05:17 PM.

If you question me again be sure you have done your research.
    ..............OR, ...What?

LOL........Let it go, you are starting to look silly.....
    God bless your heart.

Banned

Default Competitive shooting links for finallyMe and others

finallyME I'm not sure the age of your kids or if they will still be interested in competitive shooting by the time they reach High School but here are some links that may help. Understandably you may buy and sell air guns and firearms may times before they reach that age but ideally you could buy some that are best to get them prepared for competition in 4H or jROTC and other tournaments. (personally my daughters started off strong, did well but lost interest, OH well, if I had put $1000 in good investments for every sport they started and quit they could go to Yale fully paid, no scholarships, exaggeration LOL.) Obviously good shooting skills is great for hunting and survival, or "Enemy at the gates".

USA shooting is a great organization but their webmaster has issues (I have nothing good to say so will not) there are links there to ALL of these other links but I will list them out for you because navigating USA shooting if you are not familiar is WAY confusing… enough said they really are good people, including webmaster who "bless his/her heart" just spew it out there sort of like me ;-) Browse around try not to get frustrated.
    http://www.usashooting.org/about

CMP unfortunately may not have a big presence in Utah but for people in the Cleveland/Toledo, Ohio or Birmingham, Alabama it would be great. About price of very cheap bowling, discount movie, ice skating, but air gun for friends who don't have one is included $2 for kids to shoot. Great deal! Beats shooting GI Joes in backyard on fence rail! I have a funny story about that.
    http://thecmp.org/air/cmp-marksmanship-centers/

4H shooting sports even if your kids are not old enough still contact the coordinator for your state, he/she may help you with discount on air gun and/or firearms and shooting range and discounts for it. I LOVE discounts!!!
    http://www.4-hshootingsports.org
    Utah 4-H Shooting Sports Cordinator (USU) at Logan, UT (453) 797-0930
    kevin.kesler@usu.edu

or Richard Beard (453) 797-0573
    rbeard@usu.edu

NRA was the best place to teach hunter safety and shooting skills decades ago and still has very good programs today. Personally I ignore some of their political activities, try not to let that bother you, hopefully no one will dump this thread into a black hole because I listed them. They have great advice and programs on shooting, especially competitive shooting.

http://compete.nra.org/how-to-get-st...-to-start.aspx

Hope that helps, I have many good friends in competitive shooting whose kids earned some scholarship money for college, became better hunters (especially safer hunters.) And hopefully made their homes safer and in an absolutely worse case situation could survive better. Enjoy time with your kids.

BTW .22LR is not necessarily recommended for competitive shooting but once you get some contacts in the community these and more appropriate rounds and pellets should not be a problem if Utah is anything like Texas. Assuming you don't shoot more than about 500-1000 rounds per weekend like me. LOL

Edit: Had to take a call do real work, back now.
    So finallyMe if Kevin, Richard or someone at Utah S University or a 4H or JROTC/CMP program from local High School gets back in touch with you (and I am fairly sure they will) be sure to ask about local shooting ranges for young kids and an instructor. Then follow up at home or where ever on what that instructor taught them. I am a trained instructor, have been instructed by excellent instructors and really believe in the value of it as I believe you said you do. The cost is generally not that much. Pays off for the rest of their life. Just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 02-06-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: edit local ranges and instructors

British steel core design company "Thunderbolt" series sniper rifle, the steel core design company "Thunderbolt" series sniper rifle in the largest diameter, launching 12.7 × 99mm NATO projectile, effective range of 1,500m. It is based on the SC-76 sniper rifle and has undergone several improvements. In order to improve the strength of the weapon, the lower casing and the buttstock are made of aluminum alloy material. The grip is made of a polymer material, the base of the butt is made of rubber, and the rubber surface is made of non-slip particles. Since the application of the aluminum alloy material increases the quality of the gun body, a part of the side of the magazine holder is removed for weight reduction. The space for holding the hole under the stock is increased, and the triangular hole as the handle in front of the magazine is changed into a long hole, and the space is also increased, and the glove can be easily carried. Keep the original two fire triggers and the insurance mechanism above the trigger. A strap loop is added to the Picatinny rail under the butt and under the hand guard for portable operation. The bottom of the legs of the bipod is changed from a spherical shape to a tapered shape to improve the stability of the shooting. In addition, in order to reduce the quality of the whole gun, the width of the lower casing is reduced as much as possible, so the double-row magazine is changed into a single row of magazines.

What does that have to do with the thread, Mitch?

Not a gosh darn thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel