Thread: been toting the .410

Default been toting the .410

With the recent news of a torn meniscus in my shoulder I started carrying a .410 on my walks. I figure it should be easy on my shoulder. It is a old bolt action mossberg that had sit in the corner of my granddads gun room sans a bolt. Someone had it in the trunk of their car and when they went to get it, the bolt had come out and slipped out a hole in the trunk. I kept it for years and with the advent of the www, I was able to gather up enough junk to put together a bolt. Anyhoo game has been scarce so for my amusement I shoot at the sunflower heads that are still standing in the garden, all in good fun. The recoil hasn't bothered any thus far.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Ah, yes.....late season water melons and squash were our go to on a slow day......

Just some thing about blowing stuff all to heck give you feeling of accomplishment.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Those sunflower heads are covered with snow, it's neat the way they go poof with a big white puff LOL.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    With the recent news of a torn meniscus in my shoulder I started carrying a .410 on my walks. I figure it should be easy on my shoulder. It is a old bolt action mossberg that had sit in the corner of my granddads gun room sans a bolt. Someone had it in the trunk of their car and when they went to get it, the bolt had come out and slipped out a hole in the trunk. I kept it for years and with the advent of the www, I was able to gather up enough junk to put together a bolt. Anyhoo game has been scarce so for my amusement I shoot at the sunflower heads that are still standing in the garden, all in good fun. The recoil hasn't bothered any thus far.
    I've shot some (1000 or so?) .410 in NSSA competitions, and they're fun. I've never hunted with one, but I know somebody who swears he's killed 52 geese with one. But they really are light in recoil. Almost too light, for me, anyway.

A .410 is a good all around small game rifle IMO.
    Not very accurate over 30 yards, but wasn't intended to be.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    A .410 is a good all around small game rifle IMO.
    Not very accurate over 30 yards, but wasn't intended to be.
    .410 is a shot gun.....LOL....just being picky.
    There are .45/.410 combos that have rifled barrels out there.....but a .410 is smooth bore.

You're right Hunter, I didn't realize I typed rifle till after the edit time ran out...

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    You're right Hunter, I didn't realize I typed rifle till after the edit time ran out...
    Actually you can go back an edit it now if you want........but I have immortalized it forever.....with a quote....Bhohahahaha
    Just giving ya a bad time.....

A lot of folks will tell you a 410 is no good for hunting. I just tell them to tell that to the hundreds of squirrels, rabbits, grouse and such I've killed with my little Iver Johnson Champion 410 the last 45 years or so ! I love hitting rabbits on the run or birds in flight with a 410 ! I've even squirrel hunted from a canoe with it - lots of fun !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Actually you can go back an edit it now if you want........but I have immortalized it forever.....with a quote....Bhohahahaha
    Just giving ya a bad time.....

That may be the only thing that will ever be immortalized about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    A lot of folks will tell you a 410 is no good for hunting. I just tell them to tell that to the hundreds of squirrels, rabbits, grouse and such I've killed with my little Iver Johnson Champion 410 the last 45 years or so ! I love hitting rabbits on the run or birds in flight with a 410 ! I've even squirrel hunted from a canoe with it - lots of fun !
    HMMMMM....410 instead of .22lr for rabbit. I might have to give that one a try.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    HMMMMM....410 instead of .22lr for rabbit. I might have to give that one a try.
    Lots of fun, especially on a running bunny !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp