Thread: My vehicle bag (medical aspect)

Default My vehicle bag (medical aspect)

Here's the medical portion of my vehicle bag. A few things I need to replace from giving out, and some lost in the fire. Commercial CAT being one of them. This bag is more set up for helping others, although a lot of course can be used for myself if need be. Lost a lot of supplies. Biggest disappointment is the drug stockpile and IV fluids. Hard time getting them back. Anyway, here's how mines set up.

Trauma sheers easy to access on the outside and tethered in case they dislodge. All medical supplies are on outside pouches easy to access without digging through my emergency gear on the inside.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Not a whole lot of fancy stuff, simple things that help a lot, and have been useful in the past. Basic airway and trauma supplies.

BVM
    OPA set
    NPA
    SAM splint
    Pen light
    Pulse oximeter
    Stethoscope
    BP cuff
    Aspirin
    Glucose
    Needle decompression kit (stupid, probably ditching)
    Compression bandage
    Triangle bandages X2
    Bag of assorted 4X4s,2X2s, bandaids
    Petroleum gauze
    Cloth tape, regular tape, Kerlix
    Roller gauze
    Trauma dressing X2
    Ace bandage

ALS bag
    This bag normally lives at home unless on a long trip somewhere

NS IV fluid 1L X2
    Tubing administrationX2
    Leuer locks X2
    IV start packs X2
    Saline flushes X2
    IV catheters X2 ea 18,20,14ga.
    NarCan X2
    Epi 1:1000
    Nitro SL
    Nitro paste
    Zofran IV
    Zofran SL
    Benadryl IV
    Aspirin
    Twinpacks/IM needles
    Extra tegaderms (best bandaids)

"Get me there kit"
    Hopefully never have to use this one. Rare circumstances as it's most likely a one way trip and would likely require an additional rescue.
    Tubular webbing X12' for hasty harness
    Caribiner X2
    8 plate descender
    Prusik loop
    Rap rings X2
    3/8 rope X100'

Open for suggestions, questions comments. That's what I carry. A million variations. Thing I desire to replace the most is a CAT. Mostly set up just for immediate life support. Being caught without a few basic pieces of gear can make things a lot harder. Although not necessary, makes it a lot easier. Carry a few things for snively boo-boos, but not much.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Wi...3126b.gif.html

So, does "paramedic" mean a medic that jumps out of airplanes...kinda like paratrooper?

Only suggestion I can think of is a collapsible neck brace. But, you probably have WAY more training/knowledge than I do.

Great kit. I will use it as reference.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Para I believe is Latin and means to be around or with.

Thanks for the suggestion. While it doesn't hurt, I feel the possibility of benefit isn't worth carrying one. There is no evidence that c spining people has increased any outcome of patients. A lot of counties (my last included) do not even c spine people in significant traumas unless they specifically complain of neck or back pain. As weird as it seems a guy could get rolled of a levee and get taken in just laying down without all that. A lot more comfortable than being confined too!

If I jumped with that id have to front load it! No room for two rigs!
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Nice setup. I like the shears and knife on the outside. I think I'll modify mine in a similar fashion.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's a nice, well rounded kit.

JMHO I think I would drop the BVM. Without supplemental O2 it really doesn't do a whole lot that just breathing someone would. But it does take up a lot of space. I'm just an EMT so I don't carry the ALS stuff in my kit. Mostly stuff to stop leaks. Big and little. I also have a roll of vet wrap in my kit. I love that stuff. I keep my kit in a condor rip away medical pouch. I can just attach it to my bag or stuff it inside. This thread reminds me that I need to go through my kit and restock and replace. Thank you.
    Last edited by Fort fireman; 01-20-2015 at 12:24 PM.

More changes!

Supplemental 02 is also being phased down(not completely out, but way down like the backboard and C collar) We rarely use it these days. It has been found that we've been poisoning patients with it for years. It is not given unless sp02 levels are <94% and titrated to no more than 99%, or on a full arrest. Slapping everyone on 02 like has been done since the dawn of time was causing oxygen toxicity. Excessive 02 was causing the molecule to break off into a free radicals and oxidizing the blood.

The BVM is bulky, but it is much easier to ventilate for me, and when someone does show up with 02 on a full code they can attach it. Christmas eve before last I showed up on a full arrest and was preforming CPR by myself for about 10 minutes. Once the rest showed up it was just a hand off of the BVM and slapping on the 02 hose. Restock from the ambulance after. That's why one of those OPAs is different.

We don't drop ET tubes on codes if a BLS airway is working either.

Everything is always changing! At least it keeps it interesting and fresh. But it does make it annoying when you go to take national registry or a new county that's not caught up and they still throw everyone on 02.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
    More changes!

Supplemental 02 is also being phased down(not completely out, but way down like the backboard and C collar) We rarely use it these days. It has been found that we've been poisoning patients with it for years. It is not given unless sp02 levels are <94% and titrated to no more than 99%, or on a full arrest. Slapping everyone on 02 like has been done since the dawn of time was causing oxygen toxicity. Excessive 02 was causing the molecule to break off into a free radicals and oxidizing the blood.

The BVM is bulky, but it is much easier to ventilate for me, and when someone does show up with 02 on a full code they can attach it. Christmas eve before last I showed up on a full arrest and was preforming CPR by myself for about 10 minutes. Once the rest showed up it was just a hand off of the BVM and slapping on the 02 hose. Restock from the ambulance after. That's why one of those OPAs is different.

Everything is always changing! At least it keeps it interesting and fresh. But it does make it annoying when you go to take national registry or a new county that's not caught up and they still throw everyone on 02.

It almost sounds like you are speaking english....but not quite.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

More changes!

We are going through a CPR protocol change in my dept as well. Our airways are the king airways however our primary concentration is GOOD compressions over the O2 administration. They were doing studies and found that at the typical 30/2 compression /vent (or 15/1)ratio we were giving more than enough o2 . However our perfusion was just getting to where it needed to be at about compression 28-30 and then we would quit to give 2 more vents. Now we are concentrating on more and better compressions. At least that is the flavor of the week for now. Lol!!

I believe the American heart association is also shifting a bit toward compressions over ventilations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort fireman View Post
    We are going through a CPR protocol change in my dept as well. Our airways are the king airways however our primary concentration is GOOD compressions over the O2 administration. They were doing studies and found that at the typical 30/2 compression /vent (or 15/1)ratio we were giving more than enough o2 . However our perfusion was just getting to where it needed to be at about compression 28-30 and then we would quit to give 2 more vents. Now we are concentrating on more and better compressions. At least that is the flavor of the week for now. Lol!!

I believe the American heart association is also shifting a bit toward compressions over ventilations.
    Flavor of the week, hahaha.

Yes, AHA is teaching hands only CPR. I tried to find the chart showing the importance of not interrupting compressions and how end organ perfusion quickly plummets every second compressions aren't being done but all I found is this LOL

R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

I love that guy. He was a hoot in Hangover. Disco saves lives. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I love that guy. He was a hoot in Hangover. Disco saves lives. Too funny.
    I had to google his name to see if it was him. Had no idea he is a real physician.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Ya, the beat to "staying alive " works. Unfortunately so does Queens " another one bites the dust". Lol!!

Just curious why Narcan in your personal med bag ? I understand it does have some benefit for septic shock and respiratory disorders, but its main purpose is a Opioid antagonist.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Just curious why Narcan in your personal med bag ? I understand it does have some benefit for septic shock and respiratory disorders, but its main purpose is a Opioid antagonist.
    You answered your own question…you know what it's for….
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

You answered your own question…you know what it's for….
    I was asking because I was curious as to why? when dopamine , Norepinephrine or dobutamine Used to be the go to drugs if Aggressive saline administration didn't do it
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Opioid antagonist….reverse respiratory depression/arrest in the event of an opiate OD... You already listed what it's for. Why do I have it? For that.
    R.I.P.

SFC Raymond Munden
    CPL Charles Gaffney
    SSG Nolan P. Barham

Wilderness medic Love the kit! I have to home kits in plastic tool boxes essentially for easy grab and go, I've been looking for tac 4 bag but the damn things are spendy. I was a 68D out of the 6250th 2nd medcom brig. So I know the need for the supplies and a proper kit are simply just essential. My kits are aimed more towards what I know, surgical with a touch of 1st resp and heavy trauma. lv2-3 with a mix of 6 in there. Sort of an all around W.S.H.T.F. go kits. God forbid I need half-3/4 of it, but if I do, I have it and the knowledge.
    I am curious as to where you got the epi though, no one out here (WA) sells it and I can't find a reputable seller online I'm willing to trust the product. Any leads for me Battle?