Thread: Budget cold weather sleeping bag?

Default Budget cold weather sleeping bag?

I just got back from an overnight where temperatures were down in the mid-20's. For you experts, that may be like summer on the Equator, but I was cold. Luckily, I had a big, bulky Slumberjack sleeping bag, which I love, but it's enormous. I'd like something that I could fit on to my ALICE pack, and the Slumberjack certainly isn't it. I know the standard is the MSS, so is there any good place to get the four piece set-up in a decent condition for $65-$70? Most of the places I've seen have it for $80+, so where do you get them? Are there any other compact, budget options that you can recommend? I prefer to spend less than $80, but if there is a bag that can beat the MSS in price, size, and weight for a little more, I might look at it. Thanks.

one bag inside of another works very good. At -20 you will gets lots of frost especially in enclosed spaces, so throw a light blanket over your bags.

EDR has a good point and a bag in a bag is what I do as well. I have my military bag that I primarily use, then it gets placed inside of another bag once it reaches 35* or so. Below that, I line the inside with a wool blanket and put a wool blanket over the bags as well. If it gets really cold, I'll open up some hand warmers and place them throughout the inside of the bag. This works well.

Also, don't think just sleeping bag either. Clothing can do wonders. I have slept in the above set up and -15 or so with a snow suit on! Everyone else was miserable in the morning so guess who stoked the fire and started coffee........
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    one bag inside of another works very good. At -20 you will gets lots of frost especially in enclosed spaces, so throw a light blanket over your bags.
    Thanks, I'll have to try that. I did bring two bags, the big Slumberjack to sleep in and a dinky 40 degree bag as a ground pad. Maybe I'll have to switch up my methods...

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    EDR has a good point and a bag in a bag is what I do as well. I have my military bag that I primarily use, then it gets placed inside of another bag once it reaches 35* or so. Below that, I line the inside with a wool blanket and put a wool blanket over the bags as well. If it gets really cold, I'll open up some hand warmers and place them throughout the inside of the bag. This works well.

Also, don't think just sleeping bag either. Clothing can do wonders. I have slept in the above set up and -15 or so with a snow suit on! Everyone else was miserable in the morning so guess who stoked the fire and started coffee........
    Thanks. You mention a military bag, do you mind if I ask which one you have? I see the black "intermediate bag" from the MSS on Ebay for $30 or so, and the green "jungle bag" for a little less on other sites. Does any body have any thoughts on either of those by themselves or in conjunction with a blanket/ civilian bag? I tried the hand warmer trick, but I ended up giving one to my tent-mate, who chose to sleep in shorts. Good thing he had a 0 degree bag...

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Thanks. You mention a military bag, do you mind if I ask which one you have? I see the black "intermediate bag" from the MSS on Ebay for $30 or so, and the green "jungle bag" for a little less on other sites. Does any body have any thoughts on either of those by themselves or in conjunction with a blanket/ civilian bag? I tried the hand warmer trick, but I ended up giving one to my tent-mate, who chose to sleep in shorts. Good thing he had a 0 degree bag...
    Mine is the green light weight patrol bag, NSN: 8465-01-398-0685. Ebay has these listed for 10-30 bucks a piece. I picked mine up at a local milsurp store for 5 plus tax. The bag I place it inside of is the digital camo ones from Sportman's guide. Here's the link for it. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...g-bag?a=972697 The two bags and a two wool blankets put me into the set up for about $60 total. I store all of them together in a compression sack, but it still isn't compact.

I love the hand warmer trick......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

How much effect does a fire have on a shelter? Could I use a lighter bag and replace the cut corners with a campfire near my shelter? For instance, could I use a 40* bag with a fire when it is 20* out?
    Last edited by Zack; 01-19-2015 at 10:24 AM.

There are a lot of things you can do to enhance a bag's performance. Clothing, ground pad, overcover such as another bag, blanket or debris, shelter, reflective fire, underwarmer such as a fire bed or heated rocks. If you set up a reflective shelter with a fire out front you can stay pretty warm. In my opinion, wind is the big offset with a shelter and fire. The idea is to maintain a dead space of warm air around you. Once wind enters the picture it takes away from your ability to keep that warm air in one spot. That said, your environment will dictate how well you can enhance the performance of your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are a lot of things you can do to enhance a bag's performance. Clothing, ground pad, overcover such as another bag, blanket or debris, shelter, reflective fire, underwarmer such as a fire bed or heated rocks. If you set up a reflective shelter with a fire out front you can stay pretty warm. In my opinion, wind is the big offset with a shelter and fire. The idea is to maintain a dead space of warm air around you. Once wind enters the picture it takes away from your ability to keep that warm air in one spot. That said, your environment will dictate how well you can enhance the performance of your bag.
    Thanks. I'll have to get out on another primitive trip soon. Do you think a simple lean-to made with a tarp and a little debris is enough for a "reflective shelter" setup (with a fire and fire reflector)?

I won't speak for Rick, but it will depend on a lot of things. As he mentioned, wind is a huge factor along with temps, material used to construct, your clothing, insulation from ground, how you choose to heat it (long fire, fire bed, reflective fire, etc.).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I won't speak for Rick, but it will depend on a lot of things. As he mentioned, wind is a huge factor along with temps, material used to construct, your clothing, insulation from ground, how you choose to heat it (long fire, fire bed, reflective fire, etc.).
    It sounds like trial and error will be a good teacher. I'll have to get out on a couple overnights soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Thanks. I'll have to get out on another primitive trip soon. Do you think a simple lean-to made with a tarp and a little debris is enough for a "reflective shelter" setup (with a fire and fire reflector)?
    The secret is to "Try it".....as our opinion depends on the location weather/temperature , time of year, amount of clothing......
    So ....Yes....and No.....

You make your plan, gather your gear based on your past experience, pocket book and lastly advice from some one that has done it.....and willing to do it again.....If it don't work, fix the problem.

Would I do it?....not unless I had to.....but I have several options as far as shelter goes.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Zack - there is a group here in Florida that I camp with on a regular basis. Next week some of them are doing what they call pot and machete outing. They can only bring a knife and a cook pot/pan. They will each have an emergency bag with them if it is needed. The temps for the area are predicted to get down to 29. The last one done was a learning experience for those that did it (temps in the 30's) so this trip might be more comfortable for them.

One of the guys got out of his canoe and had a bowdrill fire started in about 5 minutes. It's nice to have somebody with that kind of skill with you. I can start a primitive fire, but it sure does take me longer than 5 minutes and the conditions had better be favorable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Do you think a simple lean-to made with a tarp and a little debris is enough for a "reflective shelter" setup (with a fire and fire reflector)?

In the absence of wind it should. One of my first lean to's was this time of year with a nice fire in front. I was very comfortable until the ice in the debris began to melt and drip through. It was a good lesson about waterproof material first.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

In the absence of wind it should. One of my first lean to's was this time of year with a nice fire in front. I was very comfortable until the ice in the debris began to melt and drip through. It was a good lesson about waterproof material first.
    I'll get out and try it soon. I'm going to bring an emergency bag, though. Recall my previous overnight, the one with the wool blanket