Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you know about flint and primitive tools?

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    I could be wrong, but from what I have seen it would take an extreme amount of effort to get chert and quartz to explode and crack open a ceramics kiln oven typically used to heat treat these stones. Perhaps if you soaked them for many hours, then froze them solid, and put them in a oven preheated to over 2,000°F it might crack open but I seriously doubt it would explode. LOL

That story about the Flintstones Collage professor versus the volunteer or employee at the State Park reminded me of my Brother-in-Law who ran as fast as he could from his first minor fender binder auto accident that damaged the front bumper a bit because he thought the car would explode. He had grown up watching ridiculous shows on TV. It also make me thing of this:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

My parents did not allow any TVs in our home because they said TVs are "idiot boxes". So I had to spend my time reading books, doing school work, playing sports, running around outside getting into all kinds of fun. Some of which involved attempting to blow up things with black powder and whatever the chemistry books said would combine well and I could find at the H.W. store or grocery store. Surprisingly most of my explosives went off more like rocket engines and did not actually blow the tree stumps out of the cow pasture, but that is how kids learn things without a TV to misinform them. Surprisingly I still have all my fingers and toes and only a few minor flesh wounds and burns, hearing in right ear is mostly gone however from some explosions in drainage pipes and homemade muzzle loaders. Worth it! a childhood in front of a TV would have been a waste.
    Looking for the picture........anyway
    My child hood was similar as the first B&W TV got to our house when I was about 5.....
    So just not much to watch on like 3 channels......Come to think about it I have the "Budget 200".....STILL not much to watch.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

No ship. 200 channels, 175 of them reality, 90 of them about wilderness "surviving". Three decent channels of news, then there's Discovery and National Geographic. Most nights....zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    That sounds like a very good opportunity. Here in Texas most of the events at state parks are just demos, a class would be much better. There are definitely some full day and longer class around TX especially from the Austin to San Antonio area (Edwards Plateau Chert) but these are mostly private and the classes typically fill up fast depending on the instructor.

#1 If I were you I would definitely bring at least one heavy duty canvas bag and quietly ask the instructor before/after if I could have some of the scrap chips. These can be useful for many things, starting fire obviously but also practice pressure flaking, notching etc.

#2 Pair of safety glasses (if you already have some that are comfortable, don't fall off easily, don't fog up like goggles etc, if outside sunglasses may work. They may provide cheap safety goggles which I don't like.)

#3 Probably best to wait for instructors recommendations on tools but people like YT "paleomanjim" have great ideas on how to make your own basic tools. If you really get into it you may invest in better more task specific tools over the years but something cheap and simple to get started is important.

Once you start looking you will realize that almost every corner of the world has knappable stone or glass. A hot spot for me has been the Edwards Plateau and regions west. I typically look for oxidized dinosaur egg or football looking rocks, crack the edge off to check or wack two together. Along rivers, new erosion areas. A friend has a 2000+ acre ranch west of S.A., he often repairs or creates new roads/jeep trails with his D9 (bulldozer) this tears up lots of new limestone in dry creek beds, canyons, hillsides, rips up junipers etc. I may need to go through 200 tons of limestone to fine 100 pounds of good quality chert (flint) but it is worth it. Like most things the more a person looks for something the better you get at it and the less time you waste doing it. My wife also has a great aunt who owns tens of thousands of acres of ranch land in west Texas, I need to spend more time exploring that area for knapping rock. But hauling it out is an issue.

Edit: Hayshaker's photo in comment #36 shows several excellent primitive style stone knives posted by MrFixit. This may be a very ambitious project for day one but a great goal to have in mind. I think Mike Cook has a video on youtube of him quartering up a deer with a stone knife even simpler than these with just a stone blade attached to a split stick with a wedge and some cord holding it together. Thigh bone of a deer/elk is obviously much cooler than a stick.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll bring the stuff you mentioned.

Some of my tools...

DSCF1241.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    Some of my tools...

DSCF1241.jpg
    Cool, can you list uses?

Banned

Default knapping tools and supplies

Cool tools Roel, I like that tomahawk or stone ax tool. Also antler tools, all look good.

Other items to take to a knapping class are bandaids for fingers possibly palms, thighs (someone else may need them more than you.)

Just my personal opinion, but NOT a great idea to spend money on a introductory knapping kit of tools until you have had time talking to an experience knapper face to face. He/she will definitely explain and demonstrate these in class:

http://www.flintknappingtools.com/mini_kit.html

If you have time you can have fun making your own knapping tools with supplies from a local hardware store.

There are many excellent knappers on here.

Banned

Default Knap-Ins Texas and beyond, fun places to meet people and learn more

Some Knap-Ins in Texas and beyond would be fun to meet Wilderness-Survival forum members at one of these. Or other outdoor events.

PEDERNALES KNAP-IN in Blanco County, Texas
    Organized each year by RON FIESELER 830-708-5020
    Email: ronfieseler@gmail.com and ask to be put on his email list for the latest date and info. Current plans are for April 11, 2015 but as of today that had not been finalized when I spoke to him on the phone.

Details from this forum posted last year
    www.primitivearcher.com

Friday, April 25, 2014 to Sunday, April 27, 2014
    2014 Pedernales Knap-In

The Pedernales Knap-In will once again take place at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas. This is located on the north end of Johnson City, Texas, on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281, and on the south side of the Pedernales River.
    You can preview the site by going to either Google Maps (satellite view) or Google Earth. Navigate to Johnson City, Texas (west of Austin), then follow U.S. Hwy 281 north to the Pedernales River. The rodeo arena is a good, easy to find landmark. You will be able to see the grove of trees between the rodeo arena and the barns.
    During the last two years, knappers were pleased with this site. We have access to a small covered pavilion (for inclement weather knapping) and a large area between the pavilion and the rodeo arena with several nice shade trees. The Blanco County Fairgrounds offer knappers plenty of parking, easy in-easy out access, several nearby convenience stores and restaurants, electricity for late-night knapping, water faucets, on-site trash dumpsters, and enclosed restrooms. I will rig up a makeshift shower like I did last year. Knappers will be able to camp at their knapping area or in the parking area. Better yet, since the Fairgrounds are adjacent to the Pedernales River, camping is available next to the River if one so desires.
    What we don\'t have on site is motor homecamp trailer hookups. However, there is the nice Roadrunner RV Park (830) 868-7449). It is located 1.5 miles south of the Fairgrounds on the east side of U.S. Hwy 281 and just across the road from the Valero convenience store and gas station. There are also a couple of motels in Johnson City for those who want more comfortable accommodations. They are near the traffic light at the intersection of US 281 and US 290. One is the nearly new Best Western (830) 868-4044 and the other is the older and less expensive Hill Country Inn (830) 868-2614.
    Given the high cost of travel these days, we are trying very hard to maintain a cost-effective and affordable Knap-In. There will be no charge for camping. However, all Knappers andor Vendors will be required to pay a $10 Registration Fee for the event. As usual, we will once again be asking knappers and vendors to donate items for our Saturday afternoon auctionfund raiser to help cover Knap-In expenses.
    The Pedernales Knap-In will be open to the public at no charge. Since we are located right on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281 with high visibility and plenty of signage and parking, we hope to attract the public in good numbers. We will also be submitting press releases to the local newspapers to advertise the event.
    In closing, we hope to see many of you the last weekend of April, 2014 at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas for the Pedernales Knap-In!!!

Fall Texas Knap-In:

Texas Hill Country Classic Knap In

What a delight it is to inform you of our fall knap in date for 2014. We’ll be meeting on October 3rd thru October 5th in Llano, Texas . We’ll have great food and great knapping available to all who attend again this year. Any rock vendors and bow makers or tool sellers, we invite you to attend. Your wares are sought after. Wives, Children and pets are also invited, although not necessarily in that order.

ROBINSON CITY PARK
    2 MILES WEST OF DOWNTOWN LLANO ON F.M. ROAD 152
    DIRECTION SIGNS WILL BE POSTED
    SEMINARS WILL BE PROVIDED FOR THE BENEFIT OF
    BEGINNING KNAPPERS AND OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES

THERE ARE CAMPING SITES AND R.V. HOOKUPS
    AVAILABLE AT THE PARK FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO
    BRING THEIR TRAVEL TRAILERS

Louisiana Spring Knap-In:
    Niblet’s Bluff knap-in was first weekend in April 2014
    I heard it is set for April 17-19, 2015 but call to be sure
    TEX HOLLOWAY 337-842-3124

If you live in the Southeast or are willing to travel there I hear a big and very popular Knap-in is in Georgia:
    NORTH GEORGIA KNAPIN organized DAVE SWETMON 678-480-1932, near CARTERSVILLE, GA. Perhaps in April as well.

Many more across the country listed here, the dates are old but the phone numbers may still be useful so call or Google the names of the events etc.

www.kentuckyflintworks.com/KNAPINS.html

also
    http://www.pugetsoundknappers.com

Has list of some West coast Knap-ins and instructions on how to make your own knapping tools etc.

3/4" Delrin Acetal rod with copper nail held in with set screw, not what Ishi used but highly functional for flaking IMO. 3' rod cost about $8 at Grainger, good for two "flint" pressure flakers aka "Ishi sticks" or tools.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 01-29-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Cool tool ideas from NW

@Hunter63; from left to right;

1. Stone hammer to pound fibers for any use.
    2. Small Neolithic axe.
    3. Mesolithic axe made of red deer antler.
    4. Mesolithic axe from a piece of flint.

Quote Originally Posted by Roel View Post
    @Hunter63; from left to right;

1. Stone hammer to pound fibers for any use.
    2. Small Neolithic axe.
    3. Mesolithic axe made of red deer antler.
    4. Mesolithic axe from a piece of flint.
    Thanks.....
    Do you use them?....and how do they work?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are many excellent knappers on here.
    ............nappers?

That too....

zack if you just google 2015 flint knapping events calender you should find what your looking for near your area.

I demonstrate game preparation to students using Obsidian and Mookaite jasper flakes. The reality of any cutting instrument is, it only has to be sharp. It doesn't matter what the material is. Steel simply means we don't have to continually knock another flake off a core, to prep the next animal or project. Volcanic glass and stone flakes have some of the sharpest edges you may encounter, however, as has been stated, steel is used these days due to simplicity and convenience.

The knowledge that stone CAN BE USED in expedient situations, is what is important to pass on to younger generations.

Knapping is not some magical mystical skill that takes years to do, I have students make "Hoko" style knives, the very first time they have ever seen knapping demonstrated. I show the practicality of a stone edge, as opposed to the mystical art form, of creating a beautiful bi-face long spear point, which are two entirely different things. Once the physics of what a conchoidal fracture is, and how it occurs is understood by students, then realistically, they are knapping straight away. I also get them to pressure flake arrow points too.

Personally I think it is due to ignorance when people on forums state 'steel is better'.

NO steel is different, not 'better'.

I once did an experiment with an axe made af amphibolite. Did the job just as well as an axe made of flint. The only thing was a little dammage on the edge.

In my opinion it's best to make your own knives,hammers and axes

Quote Originally Posted by Dino v.d merwe View Post
    In my opinion it's best to make your own knives,hammers and axes
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

Some people would agree with you.....many won't, as they don't know how.

napping that's what i try todo in the afternoon. knapping is what i do in the studio.
    what do i know about knapping well this there's far more i need to know than do know.