Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber

Default Just when you thought it couldn't get any dumber

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/scho...085288082.html

If this makes it up to my children's school, I will be having a chit chat with the board of education and the local police chief.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

But, but, but, what about tactical bacon? I mean...it's tactical. Proof positive that there is no shortage of stupid in this world. Duck and cover seems far more practical than fling the string beans.

"I want tomato soup to spearhead the attack. General Fusal, your carrots will cover the left flank while sweet peas cover the right. I want creamed corn held in reserve."

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

How about intruders can't get in the School in the first place......

And my Dad was right, empowering is just another word for delegation and shifting responsibility.
    Last edited by Winnie; 01-16-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

A wise man once said "Stupid is as stupid does" and man o man, this is stupid.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

God forbid we arm staff with firearms! Although a few schools around me have instituted that in small numbers officially.

Another thing that kills me about this is that there is zero tolerance should a kid bring a harmless toy gun to school, but then the school is going to teach them (albeit poorly) on how to improvise weapons? As my dear aunt would say, "Oh sweeeeet baby Jesus!".

Perhaps a can of this would do?

Last edited by natertot; 01-16-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My dad taught me to never bring a can of beans to a gunfight.
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Splendid idea. I for one always have a can of soup in my bookbag for just such an occasion. But, really, what kind of parent sends their child to school without tactical canned goods? Surely the school board shouldn't have to teach them this....call the children's aid, that's what I say!

I'm not 100% against the idea.

If the kids (teenagers) are trained to the extent they can hit an intruder at classroom distance (know their abilities) and taught to hide and set up some sort of defense prior to tossing cans, it could slow down an attacker to the point of pushing him out of the area.

Lets face the facts, if someone enters a school shooting, they plan on killing people and putting up resistance to the attacker will slow them down and save lives. Granted it would be much better to have armed adults (teachers and or guards) to protect the kids but that does not seem to be an option at this school

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

As a retired career teacher I can make some valid input on this one.

You do not want to arm the average classroom teacher. It will not work. They are so ingrained with the liberal theology, especially teachers in the lower grades, that they can not be trained in tactical use of a firearm. One out of 1,000, maybe, but not even 1 out of 100 could transition into "defend the kids" mode.

They can hide the kids and secure the classroom within department guidelines but their basic move is lock the door, turn off the lights and tremble in fear. Many classroom do not even have locking doors.

They have been trained for their entire lifetime to be helpless prey with their primary defense tactic being to avoid eye contact, pretend the problem does not exist, and if it can not be ignored RUN!

I was often very shocked to find that in the upper grades I ran into Army and Marine veterans who were pacifists, supported total gun control and had zero tolerance for fighting even in self defense. Many even objected to having an armed police officer in the school.

Many would object to this "soup can defense" as encouraging conflict and promoting violence when everyone knows that conflict resolution and peaceful coexistence are the foundations of modern society.

It's a different culture folks, one that was difficult for me to understand even after 30 years involvement.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Poppycock. You taught and you can handle a weapon. I taught and I can handle one. I don't know about Kentucky but where I hail from most of the teachers, men and women alike, either shoot already or someone in their immediate family could teach them. I'm sure there is a lot of truth in your statement but let's not paint the world with a single brush. There are a lot of states that allow teachers to conceal carry today.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investig...ssroom-n208946

Grizz - How do you put up resistance to an armed intruder? Use your body as a shield?

We tried the can defense here at the forum. Chris came in and all three of us had eaten the contents.

I'm not saying give them (teachers) weapons and walk away. I saying IF they are interested they should be aloud to carry with some sort of close quarters combat training specifically designed around schools and teachers, not the military stuff.

Every school shooting story I've read about explains how the attacker shoots himself at the first sign of resistance, why not train as many people as possible to resist, at least those that are interested.

And more importantly, make it known to the public that teachers are aloud to carry in that school. Bad guys always look for gun free zone to reek their havoc

Good grief............

OK who ate their ammo......?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Give me your money and no one gets hurt. It's hot sauce and I know how to throw it!

Blog Entries

Well, I'll bet I know what Sarge will bring to school.

“Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Grizz - How do you put up resistance to an armed intruder? Use your body as a shield?
    An armed intruder in a school, history has shown, always back down and shoot themselves if they are faced with resistance. Will that also be true, who knows, but its better to fight for life vs lay down and get shot. They should lock doors, hide and if confronted, fight any way possible. Throwing cans of beans will be more damaging than getting hit with a ruler, phone or whatever these kids take to school these days.

And like I said before, if the public is aware of the armed teachers, the bad guys will pick an easier target like a "no gun zone"

Remember 9/11/01?? The flight that crashed in PA? Those guys fought back and saved whatever their next target was supposed to be.

I would suggest it is a bit different having a group of men defending against a knife wielding moron in the confines of an aircraft than a bunch of little kids going against a moron with a semi auto firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would suggest it is a bit different having a group of men defending against a knife wielding moron in the confines of an aircraft than a bunch of little kids going against a moron with a semi auto firearm.
    You're right. And I'm not suggesting the kids go into a search and destroy mentality with cans of soup against some moron with any weapon and who is hell bent on killing.

But history has shown that in school shootings, the shooter will back off and shoot himself at the first sign of resistance.

Why do you feel its so wrong for teenagers in school to defend themselves with any means available? The only other options are to

1) Hide = sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't and kids get shot until the shooter decides to move on and or runs out of ammo
    2) Run away = again, sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. Consider the 100's of kids piled up at an exit, the one in front trip and the others stomping over him or her to get out. Plus the shooter will have all the "targets" piled up in one area to easily pick off
    3) I cant think of any other options other than calling the LEO's but by the time they show up everything will be over

There is no way to prevent these terrible things from happening in the future, or only option is to be prepared and ready to fight back, hoping and praying it ends quickly with few, if any, innocents lost.
    Last edited by Grizz123; 01-17-2015 at 11:08 AM.

I think you could support the statement that most active shooters shot themselves after armed responders appeared on the scene.

There have been several stories of teachers resisting in various ways that resulted in the teachers death and continued assault on the school by the shooter.

I could dig up a couple of stories off the top of my head where a person with a handgun engaged an active shooter and either died or been wounded without stopping the spree. One was a mall shooting a couple years back. You are engaging a gunman armed with a rifle and you have a handgun (probably a sub compact). Anyone with practical experience on a firing range with both weapons isn't gonna like those odds. Unfortunately, the people that engage the shooter often try to stop them by yelling, "drop the gun" or something like that.

Also, lets say some 9 year old got lucky and beaned the shooter with a can of Van Camps. The school board would immediately suspend that student and ban the possession of tactical assault beans from with 100 yards of any school.

Having declared these schools a can free zone, have we not opened them up to attacks by assault asparagus? A barrage of broccoli? Canned corn carnage? Deadly dumpling destruction? Erie endive encounter? Flying fennel fiasco?